Depression Anyone??[:(][:(]

by plmkrzy 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Kristen
    Kristen

plm,
    I struggle with clinical depression that has a tendency to swing lower depending on my hormones and other things happening in my life. The depression became critical when I first became inactive; I believe many of the separation issues I was experiencing (plus all the other "stuff" my heart and mind was going through when I began my journey away from a lifetime of core beliefs) contributed greatly to my depressive and suicidal state.

I was on drug therapy for about 2 1/2 years (Zoloft mostly, Prozac & Lithium when they *thought* it was bipolar) during this time and weaned myself off when I felt I was ready to. Since then I have managed without prescribed medication, although it has been difficult at times. I do take a supplement called 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) when I feel I need it to balance out. It works well for me in the dosage I take; I'm on it for probably about 6 months out of a year.

The other things I agree with have been mentioned: exercise and diet. I find that I do feel much better when I'm exercising and eating right along with the supplement. Plenty of rest and activities *other* then being online too much help also.

I hope you find the right combination of therapy and activities to help balance you out too. It would be nice if it just cured itself and went away, but those of us who deal with a chemical imbalance that follows us around year after year know better.

Wishing you and the others an even-keel,
    Kristen

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Kristen, How interesting that you live on Christmas Island. Have you lived there long? It's so lovely to see people posting from unusual places.

I saw your name in chat earlier tonight. I wish I'd read your message before that - I would have come on chat to say hello!

That 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) you mention. I've heard of that before. What brand name do you buy and is that what it's called? Do you get it in a health food shop? I'm interested to learn more about it.

I'm living in Melbourne btw - and my husband is working in Hong Kong - and I spend some time with him when I can. (speaking of unusual places!)

warm regards
    Marilym

• AMAZINGEX
    AMAZINGEX

One more thought. I know if I get overtired I'm in big trouble, especially if I'm also really stressed. Maybe it's something you might need to watch too.

At any rate, I hope you wake up feeling better each day than you did the day before.

• Kristen
    Kristen

Hi Marilyn,
    The brand of 5-HTP that I use is NATROL and it comes in 50 mg capsules. I decided to give it a try after someone suggested that this brand was more pure than other brands. I was surprised at the results I got from it. Of course, I know others who've tried it and it wasn't strong enough for their needs. But it works for me.

Oh, I don't *really* live on Christmas Island. I picked it off the list around the holidays because it was the perfect fantasy place I dreamt up. I don't know what Christmas Island is really like, but in my mind it is full of beautifully decorated Christmas trees, gingerbread houses, holiday cheer, and possibly Santa's workshop. I never thought anyone would ask me about it . That's more exciting than listing the USA, huh?

Kristen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit