Depression Anyone??[:(][:(]

by plmkrzy 33 Replies latest jw friends

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Thanks happyman. Acupunture??I'll give that some thought.
    plm

• flower
    flower

yes i can definately relate..i've been through it seems the whole spectrum of depression and anxiety related disorders.

the best advice i can give you is not to stay on a med if its not markedly improving your mood. meaning give it 6-8 weeks and if you dont feel better than try another. its a trial and error thing with anti-depress and anti-anxiety meds. what works for one may be awful for someone else. i wasted six months on prozac and ended up being worse than when i started it..but after just a few days on Wellbutrin I improved dramatically. also for some people, after months or years a med that was working great has been know to just stop working so you have to think about that also.

ive not take meds for a year or so but they definately helped me when i did. i wouldnt say i was happy by any stretch of the imagination but i wasnt suicidal anymore and i was able to function. but you want to also try to root out the cause of the feelings and eliminate that. i've made amazing strides since finding this board and the information i've learned here.

gotta run now but if you ever want to talk about this topic its one thats near and dear to me and i've done years worth of research on it so just drop me an [email protected]

flower
    ps..and PRAY!

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

How do you find a "good" therapist? And how do you convince someone to go see them, if you do find a good one?

One of the two big things stopping me from going public is my mother's depression. She is finally taking anti-depressants, but I think she would resist seeing a therapist because Jehovah's Witnesses are the "happiest people an earth," and there is a stigma attached to psychology.

Also, how much does a good therapist cost these days?

TIA,
    Hmmm

• jolly_green_giant
    jolly_green_giant

im currently on PAXIL. i've been on them for around six months now. They're used to treat anxiety dissorter and depression. i dont really know if they're working or not, but i also drink heavily just about every day so that may have something to do with it. I'm also gonna start going to a phsycologist soon too. I'm not too sure if med's are as effective has the commercials make them seem.

• belbab
    belbab

Plum,

I can relate to what you are saying about posting something on the board and then after it is done, feelings of having done something wrong arise and you wonder how to undo it. I believe we set our minds to compose a post, and as we are doing it no other negative thoughts enter in, we concentrate on the task at hand. After it is finished and posted then, doubts about what we have said enter in, and we say what the hell have I done.

I read the posts on the worlds worst congregations and I thought it was a good thing to do. It makes us realize that the same problems exist world wide, it is not just that we as an individual alone are what the WT says are unhappy complainers. This article helped me see that problems definately exist world wide and numerous witnesses have attested to it.

As for depression, I've been there, right to the edge of death, the black night of the soul, that writers down through the centuaries have spoken about.

Right now I have a son, who over the xmas suffered nutritional imbalances, which affects his moods, a couple of years ago he was on meds, but these meds flattened him out into a stupor and lethargy, but they did help, we think.

So lately I have been searching for alternatives to meds. I went to the library and got a bunch of books on nutrition and mental illnesses. Some here have mentionned serotonin, I went to health food store and got some amino acids, namely precursor to seritonin, tryptophan and these turned him around almost immediately. Also required is essential fatty acids and B vitamins. Avoidance of alcohol and too much sugars and carbohydrates, to which he is allergic were also required.

Two quotes from one of the books I am reading:

Depression is a reaction to loss.

Depression results from aggression turned inward.

Now that I have finished this post, doubts are entering in. Who am I to be telling you, what you should be doing. I will set these doubt aside and still send this message. If you would like a list of books that will help, then e-mail me or request them on this thread. I could also tell how to delete your threads on the post you mentionned but I won't, the information is wanted and needed.

belbab wishing you and all the others well being and happiness.

• terafera
    terafera

Hmmm- you can look in the yellow pages under mental health or counseling.. call them and ask if they have a sliding scale fee. Some do. Also you can call your local college or University and ask if they have counseling sessions with the post-grad students. A friend of mine saw a woman through the University for $25 a week. She loved her counselor.. and the woman was just credits away from her PHD so she knew her business.

I have suffered from panic/anxiety disorder and have found meditation and self talk to be the most helpful. I havent taken any medication and have been doing great, but there are those who really need it.

Please read up on it.. I have found books in the library that have helped wonders.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Belbab,

Depression results from aggression turned inward.
    I think that you are correct. Someone once told me that "The repression of aggression will lead to depression". I think that is true, however, in today's society, aggression is not acceptable, so it needs to become transformed into something else. Call it "Drive" if you like.

Don't ever feel that what you post here is going to be held against you, what you post is how you feel at the time and is totally valid, even if you do change your mind later on. Most people can discuss their problems with friends and colleagues, ex's need sites like this if they are going to talk with people that they can relate to, so don't feel bad because you have slagged somebody off.

Englishman.

Hey! Now you are an outie, you can dance too!

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Thanks everyone who replied. I wasn't sure that I would even put this post up, hesitated a lot but i'm glad I did now. I got a lot of useful advice and feel better already just getting it off my chest.
    Oh and to

belbab
    about your son, I went through that with my son to. The info you posted in your reply is great info for anyone who has kids to be aware of. I wish I had all the info when he first started school.

Hmmm

"Also, how much does a good therapist cost these days?"

I don't really know but most insurance, even crappy hmo which is what I have will pay for it.
    As for the JWS, It's not really their business. They can't have any say over that and when someone needs a doctor, they need a doctor.
    I hope things work out for you and your mom. I can understand the position your in.

plm

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I recently read (can/t remember where), that 75 percent of JWs suffer from some form of depression. Pretty high statisics. I for one could write a book about my life and the severe depression I suffered. During therapy I learned that we are not to blame ourselves for what others have inflicted upon us. The truth is much of my depression was the direct result of a terrible marriage, a husband who lied decieved and made me look like I was crazy. It is true that I mentioned I suffer a erratic brain pattern, closely associated with epilipsey.
    My heart has been lifted up knowing that I was not responsible for a rotten marriage and fanatical parents who didn't allow me to be who I was. I was not always a JW. as our family converted when I was 13, my father was an alcholic and a mother who was neurotic, and dabbled in the occult, so some of my depression began as a young girl. Being in a violent home contributed to my intense emotional disposition. And as I said before, any time you wish or anyone for that matter who would like to chat just email me it is on my profile.
    Terry

• Francois
    Francois

plmkrzy:

Some posters are right. Some of the meds are pretty bad. But they have in mind the old tricyclics I thinks.

I've been on 150 mg Effexor for about four months, and after three years of depression, I feel more like myself than I have in all that time. I started out with a much smaller dose of it along with a milligram of klonopin a day, and as I worked up on the Effexor, I worked down on the klonopin, till now I'm off it altogether (don't want to stay on ANY benzodiazepine for very long at all, like valium, xanax, klonopin, etc.).

But now I feel GREAT. Much more like myself.

I know a bunch about depression, since I've had to deal with it off and on for a number of years. And I - like I said - feel better now than ever. So if you want, post me direct. I'd be happy to discuss this in private if you wish.

Francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit