Depression Anyone??[:(][:(]

by plmkrzy 33 Replies latest jw friends

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Francois, orangefatcat

Hey thanks so much LOL plm

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

I've not read all your responses, but I know a little of how you are feeling. This is a VERY interesting article about anti depressants
    http://www.washingtonian.com/health/hardtoswallow.html (I hope it doesn't depress you!!!)

I've been where you are and took Paxil for 18 months. Actually the reason I stopped (finally) was that I learned that Paxil is associated with a seven fold increased risk of breast cancer. As I already have a strong family history, I got off it immediately I read the about it.

What I did to replace Paxil was start to exercising. At age 48 I decided to get off my butt and get moving, because I'd heard that exercise helps with depression and anxiety. (I suffer anxiety more than depression). I am religious about exercising - and I've found it better than medication. I did find it really difficult to get off Paxil. It took two weeks of flu like symtoms along with the sensation of a power station inside my head. I was also edgy and vulnerable for a while after stopping it. However I was VERY determined to get off it. I was also very determined to exercise. I started swimming and walking. I swim 1.5ks every second day and walk on the alternate day. This involves 35 to 40 minutes of excercise a day - but the effects are fantastic. As a bonus I'v slimmed right down and I am now a much better shape than I was. My motive wasn't to look good, rather it was to feel good, but looking good has been a added bonus.

Exercise is not a cure-all. But nor is medication. Sometimes we have to accept that we have vulnerable aspects of our personality. I don't think we should try to change ourselves too much, rather we should be kind to ourselves and accept our selves the way we are. Make sure your diet is as healthy as possible and especially rich in Vit B. (Brewers Yeast tablets are excellent for the nerves).

Before I get off my soap box I will tell you that I've met a lot of people at the pool who swim for mental health. One lovely lady aged around 55 has been going every day for six years. She nursed her 29 year old son until his death from leukemia and the depression that followed her loss was so overwhelming she thought she would not be able to carry on living. Her doctor recommended swimming and it helped her to such a degree that she doesn't ever want to stop. You don't have to be that good at it - she just paddles up and down the pool for half an hour every day. Every time I see her I think of the tragedy in her life. I find her an inspiration!

All the best
    Marilyn

• bigfloppydog
    bigfloppydog

Listen to orangefatcat she has a good point in her posts, when i left org. i was really depressed, they gave me prozac (wrong med for me)
    i wanted to kill someone, dr. took me off that right away when i told him how i felt. Medicines affect people in many different ways. I talked to my doctor many, many times, and eventually he made me realize i was a good person, contrare to how i felt. It took me 2 yrs of talking to him regularly to make me feel good about me again. The medicine orangefatcat talks about also worked on me. When you take it you don't feel wiped-out, knocked-off your feet so to speak.You just feel better. Hope you find peace and help soon to get you through this troubling time. I'll be thinking of you.

• bigfloppydog
    bigfloppydog

Dear Hmmmmm
    Your poor mom sounds like she definately has depression, so obviously not all JW are the happiest people in the world. First you may try finding her a really good doctor. Talking about ones feelings and getting them out in the open is a start, there must be something that is making her feel depressed. But she needs a doctor who will really listen to her. Not all are good listeners. Being in the org. can be very strenuous on anyone. I Hope she gets the help she needs, cause it is never fun to go through life depressed all the time. The best to you both.

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

plm,

I have communicated with many people over the years who have found relief through improved nutrition. Sometimes that means taking herbs or sometimes changing your diet. Sometimes this can work right along with the meds used by the medical community. Some doctors are learning more about natural health alternatives. There is no harm in asking. If what you are taking is not helping try asking your doc about some of the complimentary medicines that many medical people are now using with good results.

Please don't ever feel that what you share with others from your heart is harmful or bad. That's the controlling mechanism of the JW's talking. They are wrong. You are enough and we all benefit from what you and others who have pulled themselves from the clutches of cult life have to share.

Sean

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

Pay particular attention to vitamin B-12: many have malabsorption problems with this and don't realize it...a monthly injection "may" be required in some circumstances. Today's processed foods are partly to blame.

• AMAZINGEX
    AMAZINGEX

I, too, suffer from major depression. I'll be on meds the rest of my life. Have been for a little over 14 years. I've taken Elavil, Sinnequan, Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, Welbutrin, Nardil and Parnate. The last two are MAO inhibitors. I've taken several others that I can't remember. I also had ECT. As awful as that sounds, I believe it is still considered one of the best treatments around. I am presently on Effexor, lithium, and Trazodone. The latter is to help me sleep.

I also see a therapist regularly. He is very supportive of me but he also tells me what I need to hear whether I want to hear it or not. To me, that is what makes a good therapist. He also helps me keep things in perspective.

Sometimes it can take a long time to find the right med, combination of meds, right dose, etc. Don't give up. Don't feel alone. Do tell your doctor how you feel about your current med(s). The only way he/she can know if they are working for you is if you tell him/her.

I'll be praying for you.

Wishing everyone Peace and Joy

• Beans
    Beans

Since I was nine years old I have seen more than I wanted to with my mothers mental state which stemmed from the war and know doubt the Witnesses.Some people say that Doctors are really unsure as to where to start with medication A or Z.Once your body gets used to one type it seems to ware off and you need another type but perhaps for some it is the only answer.
    Yes i agree with Terafera talking is one good resource but who do you talk to and Im sure this is easier for women since us men love to hold it all in as we are told.I think your answer is within and you will find the right option.

Hang in there!
    Beans

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Marilyn
    Yep, when ever I manage to keep excersizing and
    working out I feel a thousand times better.
    I have panic attacks, not as much as I use to but
    when I do getting back out again and working out
    takes so long. It's kind of like standing at the
    edge of a pool. The water is freezing and U know
    it but you also know as soon as you just stop
    worrying about the water and jump in it will be
    worth it.
    The lady you spoke of who nursed her son until
    he died, People like her must have rewards for
    them weather it's living forever or going to
    heaven. How can they not.

SEAKEN2001
    My mom lives accross the contry from me but
    continues to send me information on herbs and
    nutrition every thing and anything she comes
    accross for depression and anxiety. She has
    always been a firm believer in that and I know
    a lot of people who benefit from following a
    better diet and paying more close attention
    to what they eat. I've tried many times but
    always fall off the wagon. I have a record of
    eating healthy for a solid month. I'm not very
    good at it I wish I was.

sunscapes
    Ive heard that a lot but don't you have to have
    several tests done first and then Maybe a doctor
    will approve B12 shots?
    I would like to try that for sure.

AMAZINGEX
    I am presently on Effexor

This one seems to be getting mentioned a lot.
    I don't remember my doctor mentioning it is it new?
    I'm going to ask him about that one and the other
    one I haven't had yet,Welbutrin. I think thats
    the one my sister-in-law takes and for the first
    time in several years she hasn't had any bad side
    affects.

Beans
    Why don't more men talk about this stuff?
    I watch the "Suppranos" I know bad bad bad,
    I think that show the first two seasons focused
    on getting more men to feel ok about thlking
    about depression.

One thing is certain, I'm really glad I posted
    this now, things don't seem quite as bleek anymore.
    this has been a big help I guess this is therapudic.

Thanks all

• cellomould
    cellomould

Marilyn,

I especially appreciated your comments. Exercise is wonderful!

Sometimes it feels like hitting a wall trying to exercise after being inactive for a while.

But the benefits....!

cellomould

"In other words, your God is the warden of a prison where the only prisoner is your God." Jose Saramago, The Gospel According to Jesus Christ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit