Research...

by Charlotte2010 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• factfinder
    factfinder

Hi Yknot- There are reasons I gave up being a witness, why it lost its appeal to me. And that happened years before I discovered this website . But you seem to be happy continuing as one, even after finding out "the truth about the truth" from the many comments posted here. As you have been an active witness for 37 years I was wondering what about it keeps tyou going? Do you really believe everything, do you have close friends or relatives in your cong. whom you look forward to seeing at the meetings and going out in FS with? Despite discovering so much about the witnesses from this forum what keeps you wanting to be a witness? Do you feel you have a strong, close relationship with Jehovah? Thanks!

• avengers
    avengers

I need to hear the view as a positive

Not possible!!

• yknot
    yknot

Factfinder you have a pm.

It is what it is.....

But as far as the Organization goes..... I am fully conscious.

One of the things I discovered upon waking up was that I was mostly 'Organizational' versus 'spiritual'. I only woke up by accidently clicking on to JWN instead of watchtower.org back in Aug 07'. Prior to this I had been a 'reformist' JW since the early 80s.

I believe in God still and enjoy the nuances of spiritual freedom (even when it scares me). I don't profess to know everything in that realm but I am making progress even if it is slow.

I am an incurable optimist and that serves me well during my remaining time of captivity.

Sometimes it is by embracing the hypocrisy in our commenting and actions that we cause those alseep around us to be jarred......

• Watchtowers Witnesses
    Watchtowers Witnesses

Hi Charlotte. Sorry for the unwelcoming responses you initially received. But you have to look at it from our perspective. Your first post mentioned that you were “researching” the JW’s. Then you asked for only “positive” experiences from people still in the Sect. As I’m sure you’re well aware, that’s not how you honestly research a subject. But now I understand why you’re approaching the subject from that angle. I’m curious what kind of class is requiring an essay from that particular viewpoint?

I would love to help you with your essay, but I don’t fit the criteria you listed. “I need to hear the view as a positive.” The majority of the members of this forum are ex-JW’s. The Jehovah’s Witnesses have a strict shunning policy for anyone who leaves the cult, so you probably won’t find many experiences here that are completely “positive”. Good luck with the essay, I just finished my finals last week.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Be aware that they have a policy of not telling you stuff they don't want you to hear, so it is unlikely that you will find a JW who will be completely open and honest with you about their crazier doctrines and rules and anything that identifies them as a high control group.

This policy is universal with high control cults.

Good luck

Chris

• factfinder
    factfinder

ynot- you have a pm! Thanks!

• factfinder
    factfinder

Hi Charlotte! If you just want info on jws I guess going to jw-media.org could answer your questions. Or the brochure "Jehovah's Witnesses-What Do They Believe?". But like has posted already here- you won't get the whole story. Did you take up Yknot's offer to answer your questions?

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Charlotte,

This book might help too! You might be able to find it a library.

Jehovah's Witnesses: Portrait of a Contemporary Religious Movement by Andrew Holden

In this academic study, Holden, a British sociologist, attempts to understand why the strict and austere Watch Tower Society continues to enjoy rapid growth. This is neither a primer on the danger of "cults" nor an endorsement of the Witnesses' distinctive beliefs, but a balanced ethnography that draws upon interviews with both adherents and ex-members to help readers understand what it is like to be part of the Society.

• pirata
    pirata

Hi Charlotte,

I am an active JW and I can help with some research if you like. I see both the positives and the negatives to being a JW. I believe I can give a pretty objective response. However, I'd need to be anonymous as I don't want to get in trouble with the organization.

• Elgiard
    Elgiard

JW's traditions are to avoid all traditions.

This morning I dropped off a JW friend's first-grader at school ... on the way there she was in tears because she doesn't like everyone asking her why she can't celebrate Christmas and really wants to build a gingerbread man with her classmates.

We've all suffered at the hands of this cruel cult, so this is nothing extraordinary, but that struck me as just really sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit