Research...

by Charlotte2010 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat

Active Jehovah's Witnesses have been warned away from cooperating with researchers. On the other hand, many are on facebook regardless of the society's platform warnings against that medium. Perhaps you would get more success by running an ad on Facebook?

If you are looking for good, baseline sociological data on the influence of religious upbringing, I have found www.barna.org to be very helpful. My gut tells me that JW and evangelical upbringing has many similarities.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Charlotte, you said

It must be from a genuine JW, not hear say from someone who 'knows' about the faith or has previously been a JW, I need to hear the view as a positive.

Then you said:

the purpose of my research is that it be a culture/belief very different to my own, hence chosing to research JW as from the outset many of the traditions are different to my own.

Which is it? Are you trying to hear a positive evaluation? Or are you trying to research to learn their beliefs and customs?

• Gayle
    Gayle

You could call the local Kingdom Hall of JWs for this request.

I am wondering why are doing this "research?" However, I hope, your research will bring you to a full balanced search. At least look at both sides of the reality of JWs. JW are required by their Governing Body (most have never had children in their leadership) to be loyal at all costs. They are taught to only speak as they are strictly taught. Their purpose is to recruit you. They may be sincere but they really don't have the full facts of the history of their own religion.

A JW mother who raises her children as JWs to get baptized. If own children then leave the teachings of the JW organization she will be obligated by that organization to shun them, absolutely required to never speak with them again. This is a very critical issue that presents one of the many uglinesses of this organization.

Best wishes in your research.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

JW's traditions are to avoid all traditions.

This morning I dropped off a JW friend's first-grader at school ... on the way there she was in tears because she doesn't like everyone asking her why she can't celebrate Christmas and really wants to build a gingerbread man with her classmates.

• Charlotte2010
    Charlotte2010

For my essay I have to gain knowledge regarding culture and beliefs. I needs it to be from someone who actively and positively lives the life. Not someone who has chosen to leave.

I am not a JW, in fact I do not follow a faith nor am I looking to. I simply need to do this research for my essay. I have obviously stumbled in to the wrong place and ruffled some feathers. This certainly was not my intention, for that I am sorry.

• Ding
    Ding

Wannabefree wrote, "This morning I dropped off a JW friend's first-grader at school ... on the way there she was in tears because she doesn't like everyone asking her why she can't celebrate Christmas and really wants to build a gingerbread man with her classmates."

After stopping this little girl from building a gingerbread man because it's "pagan," the WTS will spend years convincing her that her pain of isolation is really caused by the persecution of "worldly" people who "oppose the truth" (i.e. the organization that caused the pain of isolation in the first place).

• Charlotte2010
    Charlotte2010

Thanks to those of you who have offered some information... I will follow those leads rather than upset anyone else here!!

Thanks again,

Charlotte

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Ok Charlotte, sorry about that. I haven't had my coffee yet this morning! LOL

You then need a real-life account from a current JW who happily lives that life. I might suggest calling the headquarters and requesting to speak with someone 718-560-5000.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Charlotte the worst person to ask about "knowing the faith" is a genuine JW. 99.9% have no idea about the occult origins of CT Russell, the iron fist rule of Judge Rutherford whose vaccination ban and building a house called Beth Sarim for an imminent resurrection of "the faithful patriarchs" and an alcoholic who imported whiskey from Canada during the "prohibition",following on to the rule of Nathan Knorr whose early works included enforcing a Blood Ban on the masses, countless failed prophecies and shunning of members for crimes as innocuous as disagreeing with WTS doctrine, next briefly came the rule of Fred Franz a man who dishonestly falsified his so called academic qualifications in Hebrew and also a man who frequented homosexual saunas in the Brooklyn area, promoted the failed prophecy of 1975 then lied on platforms in DC's world wide exhuming all blame, proceeding presidents of Milton Henschel and Gerrit Losch promoted much of the same failed prophecies lies,child abuse scandals and membership of the UN.

• yknot
    yknot

I can help....

I actively live the lifestyle.....

Ask away .....

(this all said most JWs have some 'negative feelings' because we can't be pollyanna's everyday all the time....though most who know me will affirm I tend to be a bit 'over cheerleader-ish')

(here is my creditials: JW 37 years, attending and active in FS)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit