When jw's tell you how evil the world has become

by carla 14 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

ask them if they are aware of stories like these? Good news does not make the news. It doesn't sell. jw's do not seem to understand this in my opinion. They feed upon the negative and they fall deeper into the abyss of negativity and hate of their fellow man. They do not see what their so called religion has made them. sad.

http://yearinreview.yahoo.com/2010/us_inspiring_acts#Inspiring%20Acts

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

That is a great point Carla - Good people don't make the news. Also, in our modern era, with the modern media, we hear every single piece of bad news from every part of the world in all its gory detail, almost instantly. So the 'bad' is constantly before us, much more so than in previous generations.

• cantleave
    cantleave

THANK YOU - for posting that link. It shows we can all make a difference if we try.

Yes there is a lot of good in the world, the WTS poisons minds to see just negative and hate.

• jgnat
    jgnat

For someone bound to find evil, they will be successful. Especially if their world view demands that the world be steadily declining. Thanks for the link, carla. A few arguments I have tried,

It's all a matter of perception. I'll prove it. Volkswagen, volkswagen, volkswagen. Now count the number of volkswagen beetles you see in the next week. If you are thinking about volkswagens, you will see them. What would happen if you started looking for the good in the world?

Satan's world? Really? Can satan make anything? Did not God make the whole world and call it good? What part of God's creation is evil? A great sunrise? Our dazzling blue skies? Puppies, kittens, dolphins?

When hubby laments that he wasn't born in a former generation I tell him it wasn't as easy as it looks in the movies. No social safety net. You don't eat, you starve. No antibiotics or vaccines. If you are lucky enough to survive childhood you could still die from pneumonia or a festering cut. No mass-production or synthetic fabrics so your one suit will have to do. Better know how to thread a needle. And muck stables. Not to mention electronics or the internet or electricity.

• startingover
    startingover

In all fairness, isn't the same negative attitude present here towards JW's? I know there are lots of JW's that would say this board just focuses on the negative. However, can change occur just by focusing on the positive without exposing the negaitve?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Why the World will always look Shitty..

To a Jehovah`s Witness..

............................. ...OUTLAW

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a thought, startingover. I've noticed that newly separated singles tend to dis their former partner. The pain is fresh, and deep down, I think they fear they will be sucked back in again. So they demonize their ex. With time, confidence, and a little mellowing, warm rememberances can sit beside the genuine reasons for leaving. I've known former bloody foes becoming good friends. This is great, especially if there are children.

I admit that I maintain a certain reserve against the warm embrace of the Watchtower society. I am aware of the cost of that cosy welcome. However, I can have friendly conversations with individual witnesses, especiallly if we steer clear of preaching. I reserve my contempt for the organization as a whole, for the oppressive leadership and self-serving structure that subsumes the individual.

So, is it possible to list the positives of the society without getting sucked in? I have to admit I don't want to. Against the relentless preaching, I resist.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Yeah I miss the good old days.

Back when the black folk stayed in the back of the bus.

When a man could beat his wife with no repercussions.

Child abuse? HAH, there never was any child abuse back in the good old days, you simply never heard about it, now you hear about it everywhere!

Businesses were stronger because you could fire any employee for any reason at all.

And only very healthy kids survived, the weak ones died off and were not burdens to society.

And the further back in history you go, the better things get, Lots of cool plagues and genocides.

Yeah, I miss all that

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

When I meet up with a J-Trouble-U, usually doing the streetwork death stroll, I agree with them. I then point out how hypocrisy is on the increase especially in religion, and in particular the Roman Catholic Church with its pedophile priest scandals. That usually gets them salivating like Pavlov's dog. Then I pull the rug out from under them that their religion is just as hypocritical and has the same problem with pedophile elders. That usually leaves them speechless.

• unshackled
    unshackled

The saying in the newspaper industry has always been "if it bleeds, it leads". The entire media is the same...sensationalized negativity. We are all exposed to it.

That said, part of keeping a control group together is to have them consider themselves "elite" and have the "us vs them" mentality. Along with that, being a martyr and suffering persecution is a badge of honor for JWs. Seeing the world in such a negative way feeds their feelings of martyrdom. There's pride in being persecuted, whether real or not. My parents are a perfect example of this..they are miserable people who think they are being tortured by this "system of things" and their lives are so difficult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit