when is it too late to learn the truth about the troof

by diamondiiz 22 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

I like to ask a couple of probing questions to try and get them to THINK! i don't care how old they are, if they start thinking they may stop donating to the WTS and may even change their last will and testament to ensure the WTS gets nothing.

• finallyfree!
    finallyfree!

For jws that have grown up, spent their whole lives surrounded by the org and have no support system to fall back on, like my older parents...no I think sometimes its better to let them lie to themselves. Even if they were to sEe it black on white for the lie it is they would still not change anything as "where else would they go?" Plus they r so brainwashed that itd go in one ear and out the other. The way I see it "religion" in general is for those who need a higher being to blame when our lives get off track (satan is workin hard!) Or when we need that "entourage" or "support" that comes with being affiliated with an organized religion. My 2 cents.

• Heaven
    Heaven

My Father (an MS) is suffering from cognitive impairment, very likely due to mini/small strokes occurring in his brain. I really don't think he will be able to learn the real truth. He really doesn't understand much of what they talk about now. I guarantee he doesn't understand the generation change as he hasn't mentioned it. He HAS said that he doesn't understand what they are saying anymore at the meetings.

He clings to his beliefs as he has nothing else. Once my parents started moving towards dedicating themselves as JWs, they stopped living life. He is waiting for God's new system. It's such a waste and makes me sad.

• Ding
    Ding

I try to talk with any JW who will listen.

If they indicate that they want to stop talking about it, I honor their request.

If the person is so old that they are incapable of carrying on a real discussion about spiritual matters, then I'd leave it alone.

Actually, I have much more difficulty trying to decide what to do about talking with a younger JW who appears to be a 100% organization man/woman.

On the one hand, there's no point going on and on with fruitless discussions.

On the other hand, a lot of JWs who are secretly having doubts often initially come across as totally loyal to the borg and defend it to the hilt.

• designs
    designs

You can always tell someone what you personally believe, its how you tell them. Do you want to hurt the feelings of this older person or do you want to spend the time with them and be a new friend on equal footing.

I remember the reverse of your situation. Out in Service I met older people I really liked, we became friends and set religion aside, it worked.

• jay88
    jay88

I like that,... equal footing, .....just becoming friends.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I think it depends. what is the oldest person you know of that woke up about the "toof"? I'm sure there are some it there 70's

• yknot
    yknot

No set standard, it is all individual.

I will conclude that there are those best left to die believing in this Organization.....

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

IMHO, there is not an age limit on the human desire for freedom.

I helped my mother exit when she was 64 years old. She couldn't be happier.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Sixty four isn't old. At least not to me.

I don't think I would tell an older person who didn't have plenty of family outside. Children and grandchildren who were close. Besides, I don't think many old people (really old people) could physically take the angst that I have had to experience. I't been very very hard on me physically.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit