when is it too late to learn the truth about the troof

by diamondiiz 22 Replies latest jw friends

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

WTS suckers in many young people who are still naive and trusting and they also sucker in people who are going through some sort of a crisis in their lives. But they also prey on old people. Those who preach no doubt are sincere and believe what they're doing is life saving and all that... But to turn things around, how many here would tell an elderly jw that their religion is a con? By elderly I mean in their 70s and older? While they may try to sucker in older ones "out of the world" into their cult I personally feel awkward telling elderly jws like my wife's granny (85) that wts is a fraud. When she talks to me and brings up BS paradise teaching (you know how close it is now...) I just stand there without saying a word, while if it was any of the other in-laws saying something about the troof I would have no problem telling them the reality or at least rolling my eyes while they're speaking.

So I wonder is it wrong to tell elderly jws the truth when they're that old while they have no problem spreading their cancer of a teaching to other elderly ones? If an ancient jw rang your door would you tell them the truth or would you just tell them politely you're not interested?

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Hmm, I'm going to have to examine my own double standards on this question.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I have for the most part been an "I'm not interested" type. But some have pursued the issue so relentlessly, that I was unable to keep my own counsel. Sooo, I told them to put me on the do not call list. I don't think it's my place to try to plant doubt. If there is doubt there, they will explore it if the consequences are acceptable to them.

Now if I come across someone who is studying or has just met a JW, that's a different story.

• galactical
    galactical

I think your scenario is valid for anyone whether or not they're an elderly JW. Its pretty easy to get emotionally invested in idea of trying to "liberate" people from the borg, but i think its very important to realize ,IMHO, that its not our right and it may not be in their best interest to do that.

I'll give you an example, during my 'denial' phase i was dating a JW girl who probably would have followed me out of the religion. But then i realized that in doing so, she'd lose her family, friends and her entire social/emotional support system would be torn away from her. I wasn't happy with the religion, but she was and I didn't feel like i had the right to pick away at her beliefs and try to sow seeds of doubt just so i could have her for myself when i left.

On the other hand, any JW who can so easily be swayed through one conversation with an apostate probably would have left on their own accord sooner or later

• Think About It
    Think About It

If an ancient jw rang your door would you tell them the truth or would you just tell them politely you're not interested?

No matter who the JW was, I'd politely tell them I'm not interested. I'd be embarrassed for any of them to know I was a JW many years ago.

Think About It

• garyneal
    garyneal

I wrestle with this myself. The theist in me tells me that I have a duty, if not an obligation to inform them. However, another part of me wants to just treat them as I would a Jew, Muslim, etc and just let them live in peace. I guess if they were trying to proselytize me then I would consider it fair game to question their beliefs. Ever since my wife got baptized, no witness has tried to 'win me over.'

One 'brother' did, however, invite me to the Kingdom Hall last Sunday. "No thanks, I can think of a dozen places I'd rather be," I thought. He even went as far as to call me the night before to invite me again. I may go this Wednesday to see if there is an opportunity to work on him.

• dgp
    dgp

This is a very good question.

• clarity
    clarity

Yes a very good question.

What did Ray Franz's answer?

He had a Crisis of Conscience.

"Moral challenge affects us all" he said. "Some spend their whole life in a morally 'sitting' posture. But, when all is said and done, and life finally draws near its close, it would seem that the one who can say, "At least I stood for something." must feel greater satisfaction than the one who rarely stood for anything."

So, yes I agree with that. But not to mean, I would run around 'preaching' to those who follow the Koran, or anything other than the bible, no!

But my thinking is that, IF you are believing and living your life according to the bible ....then it is imperative that what you are accepting as truth, IS really the Truth. ie; Christ is the Way and the Truth, not a group of men with really bad timing!

People have a right to worship God as they understand Him, without being threatened with eternal damnation for doing so. Freedom to follow Christ and accept all that his sacrfice entails.... including partaking of the bread and wine.

So, I think.... it's never too late.

clarity

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Yes, this is a good question and I have asked it of myself in relation to elderly JW relatives. I realized that there is indeed some sort of cut off point - based on years invested and prospects for a life post-JW.

For example, my 87 year-old aunt, dying of cancer, tried to witness to me one last time. It wasn't a difficult choice to let her basically comfort herself by bleating the old, tired witness rhetoric. Likewise an uncle who is 89 - I can listen, nod and love him without trying to dissuade him from his lifelong beliefs, erroneous though they be.

But, there are certain considerations to weigh. Does the person have a support system to fill up the slack - for most born-in JWs the answer is no, unless they have children on the outside. Is continuing to be a JW a heavy burden in and of itself? I.e., field service, three meetings per week and guilt trips, conventions, participation, study - could there be a break even point to such that someone might enjoy their last years without being on the treadmill? I don't think there is a black or white answer.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Human beings have the right to believe in any crappy lie they want!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit