Weak JW Commits Suicide, Elders Reluctantly Have a Memorial at the Kingdom Hall

by OnTheWayOut 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So my mother calls me on Thanksgiving Thursday and tells me about a fellow in her KH that I knew quite well. He grew a beard years ago and stopped field recruiting, but kept going to the KH several times a month as his wife was still active. The elders never really tried to show concern for his depression, but always bugged him about the beard. Mom tells me that he overdosed on prescription drugs.

The wife decided to have him cremated and didn't know about what the elders would be willing to do about a memorial for him. He was a JW in good (and inactive) standing and everyone saw him on a regular basis at the KH and his wife had money troubles and told them she wasn't going to have a funeral home service but would appreciate "something" at the Kingdom Hall.

Well, of course the first thing the elders do is call Headquarters and see if it's okay. It was okay to have a memorial.
    The next thing they do is try to get one elder to agree to do the talk. It's a standard outline/recruiting talk. That should be no big deal.
    One elder reluctantly agreed to do it, then backed out saying it bothered his conscience to do a talk for an inactive JW who committed suicide.
    So another elder who has given such talks before just did it without having any real input from the wife or family about anything specific about the guy. It was just the standard outline/recruiting memorial talk.

I would have gone. Despite my desire to never go to such things, I know this wife and I always said that I would go to a funeral at the KH if it helped a living person to have my presence. After such a blow of rejection as "Your husband isn't worthy of my giving the talk" this wife could use all the 'friends' she can get. But it was on Saturday, decided at the last minute, while I was locked into my work schedule. So I could not go.

I don't know what kind of turnout they had at the hall. My mother was vague with "a good turnout." There was a gathering at a restaurant and it seems that only family and very close friends showed up.

• mouthy
    mouthy

This is so disgusting... How judgemental. Poor fellow was so mixed up. They take a persons mind

fill it with rules & regulations, then make them feel unworthy. this kind of thing should really turn
    all you newbie's, reading these things about what the WT does & orders, Read the Bible even theirs
    & while you are reading it tell me if I am wrong BUT isnt the main teaching of the ONE they are supposed
    to be listening to ( I am the way the truth the life >JESUS")Telling us to LOVE!!!!!!! just four little words
    LOVE!!!!!!!! God they sicken me!!!!!

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Aparently, that love is only for active JW's in good standing. I wonder if they would have reacted the same way if he had died from refusing a blood transfusion. Same thing, imo.

• jay88
    jay88

Ahhh, the importance of having a life outside of WTBTS activities.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

This just disgusts me. What a show of Christian love....

• Scott77
    Scott77

Its a pain in the neck that this unfortunate woman was treated in that way. The catholic church at least, is much better in this respect despite its short coming. I know from personal experiences in the past. Those JW/WTS are a loveless butch. I recall telling a Pioneer Brother and a Sister JW after they cornered me on two separate ocassions and asked me: why I was not attending the meetings anymore. I told them point blank that they [JWs], were a loveless kind of people with backbitting going around. That they discriminate people coming from other countries. Obviously, they were hurt but I was speakig from my own heart based true events and personal experiences .

Scott77

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Churches should never attempt to judge a person. That's something for the Lord to do. We recognize the weaknesses in all of us and we are there for love and support. Funeral services should be for the living, not the dead. I guess it comes with the territory when one believes one to be a receiver of light and knowledge -- and many church leaders are blind guides who attempt to lead the blind. There are many good ones out there, however, and they are the ones who, like Christ, do not judge in the here and now. Judgment comes later. You don't forbid the weak, but walk in the way of the Master.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

That's just so sad. My heart aches for her.

A JW family friend of ours died about 7 years ago. She active/inactive for years. Diagnosed with bi-polar disorder (manic depression at the time) and also seemed to have developed some form of social anxiety and agorphobia (fear of going outside).

While she was still alive, her son was talking about her to me one day. So happy that they had finally gotten off all her meds. She was back to meetings, out in service, etc.

About a year later, I got a call that she was dead. NO ONE would give me any details.

I was unable to attend the funeral (too far and too expensive for airfare) but there were MANY in attendance at dinner for her. Photos were taken and several sent to me.

My gut tells me that she killed herself. Her 'active' transformation was just too quick to have been genuine healing. I believe that the details of her death were kept hidden so as not to stumble others and yet allow the family to have some comfort in jw-style closure.

I could be wrong. Could just be that people were not giving me info because *I* was inactive at the time (although still an apologist).

Sorry to digress. This story just reminded me of my friend.

My heart still aches for your old friend, OTWO.

-Aude.

• mutinyinheaven
    mutinyinheaven

wow, this is news to me. back in the '90s, there was no kingdom hall funerals for inactive, suicides....it had to be done at a rec center or somewhere, and there was the compassionate, yet reluctant elder who had to stick his neck out and probably got a hand slap for doing the service.

• life is to short
    life is to short

My heart totally goes out to her. How sad. I went though sort of the same thing when my parents died. It was horrible, none of the elders would give my parents talk, I went through two body of elders begging them on my knees to give their talk. Even right now it still makes me cry. My husband and I were strong in the truth at the time they died my husband was an elder himself.

I finally went to the CO begging him for help he got involved and he begged the elders himself to give their talk he finally got one elder agree to come back from the other side of the sate who did not know my parents to give the talk.

It was horrible and so sad. There is so much more to my story but it breaks your heart and it never heals when this happens they were still my parents.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit