Why does the God of the Bible command us to love him?

by sabastious 50 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec
    Unfortunately, like "respect" we have this [very] false "human" position... and thus, expectation... that it must be earned. And so, everyone goes around waiting for others to love and respect them... rather than loving and respecting them first. But, no, dear one - that is the "way of the world." What we are SUPPOSED to do is love... and respect... one another FIRST. In whatever "relationship" we have. Why? Because God... loves us... FISRT. "In our existence," however, we demand that others love and respect US first. And that is why we see what we do in the world: lack of love... and lack of respect. Because everyone is concerned about what is owed THEM... versus what they owe to others.

Agreed. 100%. I'm finding it difficult to teach my son this, who IS of the mindset that he should only respect those people who 'earn' that from him. He's easier on the love, because he's a loving kid... but the two are separate in his mind right now. And since he's twelve going on seventeen, he's also a bit 'prickly' about being taught things. He KNOWS it all, lol. I know that's part of the hormones and testosterone thing (patience, patience, Tammy ;) )... but as we get older, we should at least understand and teach our children that we get respect, by giving it. We get love, by giving it. Even more, we give respect and love because that's what's in us TO give, and we should do the right thing (worry about our own behavior) whether it is returned or rewarded or not.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit