Why does the God of the Bible command us to love him?

by sabastious 50 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I honestly don't have a problem with these verses. A loving deity wants the best for his creations and wants to teach them how to enhance and maximise their lives. Whats wrong with that? Also the command to love God is described as the first and greatest commandment. So if creatures want to be great this command will make them so.

Interesting take.

I have to disagree though. Throwing the "command" in the mix taints love. No where in the descriptions or definitions of love is it ever considered compulsory.

Love is intangible and complex. Commanding someone to love is like telling someone to be spontaneous. The second you tell someone to be spontaneous they no longer can be spontaneous because spontaneity requires no external influence.

-Sab

• designs
    designs

Tammy,

'Paul' whoever this was has such a myopic view of Judaism it would be like saying a bunch of backwoods Tennessee Snake Handlers represent all Christian Denominations.

• Curtains
    Curtains

Sabastious I disagree with you that commanding someone to love is like telling someone to be spontaneous because commanding someone to love may be seen as an invitation to contemplate love in all its complexities and to see whether one is inspired to reciprocate.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Sabastious I disagree with you that commanding someone to love is like telling someone to be spontaneous because commanding someone to love may be seen as an invitation to contemplate love in all its complexities and to see whether one is inspired to reciprocate.

Where do you get "I invite you to love me" in "I command you to love me."

That's a huge jump. I would venture to guess you are changing that scripture because it doesn't suit your overall view of the Bible.

-Sab

• Curtains
    Curtains

where does it say "I command you to love me"?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    where does it say "I command you to love me"?

In the scripture I quoted in my OP.

-Sab

• Curtains
    Curtains

I have looked at those verses several times, also in the interlinear - nowhere does it say "I command you to love me". Are you saying that God is the author of the bible and therefore if he gives a command to love God..., then he is in effect saying "I command you to love me"?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I have looked at those verses several times, also in the interlinear - nowhere does it say "I command you to love me". Are you saying that God is the author of the bible and therefore if he gives a command to love God..., then he is in effect saying "I command you to love me"?

Ok here is this verse again with bolded parts:

Mark 12: 28-31 - 28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”

29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.

Jesus (son of God or God himself) is speaking. This is not a paraphrase of what he said, it is allegedly verbatim. When asked what is the greatest of ALL the commandments (referring to the Law) Jesus replies with "Love your God, and love your neighbor."

Therefore, logically, it is a commandment from God to love him and your neighbor. This allegedly came from the #1 or #2 source in the universe.

Now if you don't believe that Jesus said that, or are even skeptic of it then we should not be having this debate.

-Sab

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Sometimes its like talking to my old JW friends to hell with history or facts you've got the vision of how things were in your heads and that's all that matters.

Er?? (And, again, peace to you, designs). You referred to the Jews being present at Sabbath readings as an indication that they weren't "bad" or "negligent." I pointed out that folks "show up" to such things all the time... but that doesn't mean their not bad, negligent, hypocritical, wrong, not getting it, etc., and that the JWs are actual modern proof of that.

I am absolutely CERTAIN the Jews showed up. The accounts SAY they did. But you are the one who misses the point: they showed up at meetings; indeed, they fasted twice a week, and regularly tithed (gave the tenth of the mint, cumin, etc.). No problem at all, there. Or was there? What happened to the "weightier matters", such as justice and mercy? What did the Prophet Isaiah share with them as to the true "fast" of God... and how were they doing in that category? Let's see:

"Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? [is it] to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes [under him]? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD? [Is] not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? [Is it] not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?"

I think, if you consider the truth, dear one, it isn't me (or dear tec) who is saying "to hell with history." If their own recorded history is to be believed, they were... and perhaps you are, as well.

I do not doubt that many "reformed" Jews are now trying to live the true fast. But a visit to Brooklyn, New York, a couple/few years ago... where a Hassidic Jew literally crossed the street because he couldn't walk on the same sidewalk as my husband and me... and a subsequent news report where a "gentile" man was allowed to lay dying the street after a vehicle accidence while the "kosher" ambulance took the Jew to the hospital... tells ME that not ALL get it. Like every other religion. And I strongly believe, after my stint with the WTBTS, that a little "leaven" may indeed "ferment" the entire "loaf."

Please do not take my disagreements with you as blind obstinance and a need/desire to contend, dear designs, for nothing could be further from the truth. I am not trying to be "right"... or prove anyone "wrong" (well, except perhaps, the WTBTS). Everyone of us here has a right to put something out there; at the same time, we each have the right to rebut it, if it's not accurate or truthful. I only did what you would do to me under the same circumstances.

Again, I bid you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Curtains
    Curtains

One character is saying this about another character. Two different characters are mentioned. No character says "I command you to love me". This is clear enough.

The important point though is that loving god and loving neighbour is a moral injuntion or a moral code rather than just a command seeking compliance. It is something not just to obey but also to contemplate.

edit: but i'll not say anything more on the subject if you want to take your thread down a particular route. I agree with Aguest in that I too just wanted to put my view out there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit