What % of current JWs sincerely believe Armageddon will come within the next 30 years?

by jj123jj123 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• jj123jj123
    jj123jj123

Just to give you a little background about myself, I was a born-in, I'm in my late 20's now, I faded away a few years ago after researching the history of the WTBS on the internet. My fade was aided by moving away with my job(I definately feel lucky about that). Eventually, I had discussions with a couple of my closer jw friends about why I no longer believed in the WTBS. They both asked cliche question, "where else is there to go?". That of course is a thread on its own. My question I asked my friends (both close to me in age, late 20s/early 30s)was do you believe armageddon will come within the next 30 years? One of my friends has been living off and on in a foreign country "serving where the need is greater" for the past 4-5 years, they receive a lot of financial support from their parents. This person said they definately believe armageddon will come within the next 30 years. My other friend went to university and has a career. They conceded that they could quite possibly grow old and die, but regardless of this, "the end" will come, and "serving jehovah" is the most important thing, not when "the end" will come. There you have it, two different JWs, and two different perspectives of the future. Of the JWs you know which do you think is the more prevailing view?

For me personally, having been raised to believe I would never die, I now believe I will die one day, whether it be from old age, sickness, or an untimely accident. I'm okay with that. Don't get me wrong though, I am afraid of dying young. I feel it is a priveledge to be fortunate enough to live a long life. But I do feel much more healthier for having my current view of life and death...

• Ding
    Ding

I think most JWs believe it but don't want to be pressed on the issue.

With the "generation" change, Armageddon doesn't seem as close as it did in 1974...

• moshe
    moshe

You can't find many JWs who will admit openly to believing anything other than the official WT dogma. The book study lent itself to informal discussions, but the WT has eliminated the small group studies and the last chance for JWs to express personal opinions and feelings about the WT material/

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Yeah, Armaggeddon has to happen in my lifetime it just has to.

The death rate of humans is 100%.

Think about it.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I remember being told that Armageddon might even come before I had a chance to complete my study, and that if I wasn't progressing near the maximum speed, I might get destroyed.

Then, the first Christmas as a witless was supposed to be my last. The dingbat that dragged me into the cancer told me that it was going to probably be the last time I would have to deal with Christmas. Trouble is, the next Christmas got here--and the next, and the next, and so on.

One year (1989), at the REJECT Jesus Party, they told us to take a long look at the table because there was a good chance of its not being there next year. They acted as if the end was going to happen before the end of 1989. Trouble is, 1990 came. And so did the REJECT Jesus Party of 1990. And 1991, and beyond.

After a while, I realized that it could well be more than 20 years. Even if the tribulation came in a timely way, Jehovah is so cruel and vile that he could start the tribulation and then leave mankind in it for another 20 years, or even hundreds or thousands of years while he watches, entertained by the suffering of mankind that he himself is dawdling about ending. Then, at his time, he could end it and call it "cutting it short". And I saw, using 9th grade algebra, that it was very easily possible for something (Armageddon) to be close, be getting closer, and never actually arrive.

• I<3MYGod
    I<3MYGod

I am not a current, I was in the "truth" for 25yrs. I have been DF'ed now for going on 9yrs.

Armageddon has been "about to happen" my whole life. My sister was never supposed to start kindergarten. She is now going on 35.

My parents aren't worried about their debt (they are current JWs) because the end is near and it will all be gone any way.

• james_woods
    james_woods

For what it is worth, I knew a number of elders in the years just after 1975 who would privately acknowledge that big A was likely many decades away and that they just wanted to keep living as active JWs and not worry about it.

This was likely just a backlash against the failed Freddy Franz chronology, but it made me wonder why they wanted to keep slaving away as JW elders if they really didn't believe in the ultimate climax of the JW basic message - the end of the world.

• heathen
    heathen

It's odd how the more time they are around the dumber they actually get . In thirty years they won't have a brain cell to divide between themselves.

• clarity
    clarity

jj123jj123,

So many newbie's lately and 'old timer's' resurfacing...absolutely wonderful!

Your thoughts and idea's are so welcome.

Current JW's who believe armageddon will come in the next 30 yrs is probably quite high. Only because, in 30 yrs a lot can happen. Shorten that down to 5-10 yrs, then the reality becomes too much! And then, not so much!

Even for the most brain dead, the edge of credibility has to be wearing pretty thin. I do not think for a minute, that the continual newlite changes and commands not to think, will be any different as time rolls by. As Moshe brought out, the ending of the bookstudy mtg, was the last 'legitimate' time and place where we could talk!

clarity

• I<3MYGod
    I<3MYGod

OK!! Hold up - I am out of the loop (my mom doesn't much talk to me about witness crap any more...as I have blown her out of the water one too many times) book studies are no longer being held?? WTH?!? I thought that jay dubs needed all that bible learning to keep their heads in the game so that they aren't out there doing all the bad stuff with the worldy folk....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit