Violent entertainment and it's effects

by sabastious 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I do watch the news, which is sometimes filled with violence, and get family flack for that, but that is reporting. I get no thrill or joy out of it - it just keeps me informed as to what is actually occuring. ENTERTAINMENT that is violent just galls me, as does sport hunting. I agree wholeheartedly that this is a new phenomenon. I'm one of the ones that pine for the movies of yesteryear that didn't glorify violence the way modern ones do, and that basically showed more people of honour and character.

Your description of the news seems to imply that "the news" and entertainment are somehow seperate. News is entertainment, a warped version of it.

-Sab

• Little Mac
    Little Mac

I used to appreciate the Watchtower's concern regarding violence- thinking it was always well meaning but when you bring up the fact that they never satisfyingly answered any real social questions other than to open up the typical article, then it really wasn't. Because of those articles I naturally stayed away from most graphic violence and saw it as 'evil' or whatver.

But now as an adult, I recognize that violence is an element of movies and literature because it addresses real fears in humans, settles conflict or causes it. It can be used to be an almost metaphor onscreen or in a book for a certain fear in society or in us personally, to take an abstract look at violence or sex for that matter. The WT couldn't possibly be expected to 'go there' in any of their writings but now that you can separate their agenda from conventional explanations it's easier to see that violence is not evil simply because it appears in movies or books.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    One thing I've always found disturbing is, "why do we find the deaths/suffering/pain of other people entertaining?" Yet, if that same thing were too happen to us or our family and friends, we likely would not. I have not been able to answer that question.

I have often wondered this as well, and this what I have come up with:

Because of our vivid imaginations we often think about what it would be like to be someone or somewhere else. This facination with the "uncharted world" compells us to live it out in the form of roleplaying, because many places, especially earlier in human history, were and are inaccessible to us. Many end up being the "creators" of these "come to life" aparations from our imaginations, while others enjoy spectating their creations from a consumer's point of view.

-Sab

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Sebastious, those kind of movies are few and hard to find. For every 10 or so violent movie showing at the theatres, only one may be a comedy..you rarely even see a good mystery movie anymore.

I hope the day never comes when the only choices we have are violent, more violent and extreme violent...

I remember when my kids that are now in their 40's and 50's would watch cartoons and I remember watching as they eventually got more and more violent. Now they are downright horrifying..

I read the news on Yahoo and am so depressed over the worlds action I vow to never read or watch it again..now I just scan th eheadlines and pick out ones that don't look like they will be too bad or possibly be "Entertaining"..

Snoozy..

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More
    News is entertainment, a warped version of it.

Entertainment news is warped, I'll agree to that.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

It's pretty hypocritical of the WTS to say that violent entertainment has bad effects. I mean hell, read the OT, lots of violence, rape, pillaging, murder, adultery and war. Of course, most of this is perpetrated by the God of the OT.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    The Watchtower has always talked about violence in entertainment. It is one of the Watchtower's historical hot topics.....Sab

Jehovah`s Witness`s view Watchtower Art daily..

Jehovah`s Witness`s support..

A Genocidal/Dooms Day WBT$ Organization..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Damn...

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Violent video games are a catharsis.

We have seen drops in violent crime.

Work off your reptilian aggression in a harmless game, rather than the real world.

BTS

• TD
    TD

Have you ever seen the movie, "Braveheart?" The method of execution which was partially depicted at the end was the penalty for high treason in England for many centuries. (Back when public schools actually taught history, people understood why John Hancock's big fancy signature on the Declaration of Independence was an act of bravery.)

Those executions were not done behind closed doors, they were done publicly and people came and watched. I can't even wrap my mind around the idea that people would go out of their way to watch a human being hung by the neck until almost dead, taken down, disembowled while still alive, with the body subsequently decapitated and quartered and the parts displayed at various densely populated locations.

Both collectively and individually, the society and the individual members who thought this type of thing was "normal" and "just" were far, far more hardened to violence and human suffering then we are today. We don't think it's normal to drive a stake through the heart of a suicide victim today. We don't pluck the fingers from a recalcitrant criminal's hand one by one with red-hot pincers today. When a man is guilty of high crimes today, we don't remove his genitals first and burn them before his eyes prior to the execution. We don't test the innocence of the accused today by giving them a red hot piece of iron to hold or by sticking their hand in boiling water. The punishment for poisoning somebody today is not boiling the guilty party alive.

We have moved so far in the opposite direction that the accurate presentation of historical events is more the exception than the rule. The very beginning of the movie "V for Vendetta" (Which is considered fairly violent) is a good example. The real Guy Fawkes only escaped the fate of William Wallace by taking a running jump off the gallows as soon as the rope was around his neck. His body was quartered anyway, but at least he was dead first. So the idea that violence in entertainment represents a recent trend of degeneration in human civilization is lacking in historical perspective at best.

The question of whether exposure to fictional violence makes people more comfortable with the real thing (Which is a separate issue) is a legitimate one. When it comes to violent video games, I'm ready to be convinced if there is credible evidence of increased aggression and violence associated with them. This is a hot topic in psychology right now. So far, that evidence has not been forthcoming and some studies (Kierkegaard et al) actually suggest the opposite.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit