Why Can't We All Just Get Along?

by AK - Jeff 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I think this brief synopsis is worth thinking about, particularly on this forum, where emotions run high, opinions are hard-won and sometimes fought for with great intensity.

ON THE OTHER HAND: Debate is essential to thinking ability and working through one's viewpoint, and eventually owning your opinion. The key is remembering that you are only owning an opinion - not something written in stone.

http://atheistempire.com/atheism/get_along.php

I think deep down on both sides of the 'God debate' most people just want to live in peace. Unfortunately that is superseded by our strong feelings and opinions about the other side. Most of the time we do get along . It's only when we wear our opinions on our sleeves that we are reminded of our dislike and distrust of those who we disagree with.

Most Atheists want freedom of religion, but also believe that religion is a sham and a detriment to individual freedom. We also hold a great deal of anger towards religion's attempt to influence politics and science.

To a believer, a non-believer is someone who chooses to live a life without a greater purpose. We are foolish not to live by the word and rules of God and even more so to question them. They see Atheists as trying to re-interpret the laws as anti-religious and re-write our religious history and heritage.

Only in a secular society can both sides seem to cooperate and endure friendships. The more society sways towards one side or the other, whether promoting religion or being hostile towards it, our differences and strong opinions come to the forefront and our ability to get along diminishes.

"I am a Christian who is in love with, and plan to marry an atheist. I think BOTH sides would do well to learn this very valuable word.. Respect. If both sides of the theism/atheism debate would learn to respect the other side's right to disagree and stop trying to force our opinions on one another, the world would be a much more peaceful place to inhabit for all who journey here.
    Since when is it ok a crime to be a non-conformist? I believe we all have a right to our own opinions, ideas, thoughts, and yes, beliefs, or lack thereof.
    There needs to be more tolerance and respect for differences and less hatred on all sides of this coin. That's a lesson both sides need to learn! "

- Wendy

Thoughts?

• minimus
    minimus

Shut up!

• minimus
    minimus

only joking

• AGuest
    AGuest

Forgive me for pointing it out, dear AK-Jeff (peace to you!), but there is flaw in your... ummmmm... position... shall we say, and I think it is one the reasons some don't "get along" (or appear not to). Above, you stated:

Most Atheists want freedom of religion, but also believe that religion is a sham and a detriment to individual freedom. We also hold a great deal of anger towards religion's attempt to influence politics and science.

And this true and I personally absolutely respect that truth. Actually, I totally agree with it. I want the same and believe the same, without exception, and have some of that same "anger." I am not an Atheist, however. My problem lies with your next statement, however, and if you can see my point, hopefully those who believe like you (or don't believe, like you)... will see it, too. If so, then it may be that we CAN "get along", as you suggest. You wrote:

To a believer, a non-believer is someone who chooses to live a life without a greater purpose. We are foolish not to live by the word and rules of God and even more so to question them. They see Atheists as trying to re-interpret the laws as anti-religious and re-write our religious history and heritage.

I am believer, dear AK-Jeff... yet, I cannot agree with a single thing you've stated here. Not one. And therein lies the problem: you didn't state "most" believers. As a result, there is a [very erroneous] assumption as to what [all] believers... believe. Now, you might respond, "Well, I meant 'most' believers." But I don't think so. Indeed, given the "beliefs" of what even some here believe "I" believe... it seems to many, on many occasions, that the belief (by Atheists) is that all believers believe the same. We do not.

I detest and abhor religion. Even at the risk of angering some "christians." I believe religion IS a "snare and a racket" and "the opium of the people." I do NOT like that religion has always tried to influence politics and science. If they truly "have God"... why try to influence anything? Why not just "let God." As Gamaliel stated, in so many words, "If these things are not from God they will fail; but if they are, won't you find yourself fighting against God?" And since God allows the "superior authorities" to stand placed in their relative positions... who is anyone to mess with that? I mean, unless they're heinously massacreing people "in the name of God." Then, yes, a believer should stand up and say, "Hey, wait a minute - stop your lying; God didn't have a THING to do with that!"

But as a believer who has message that many may not have heard before (although, it IS more than 6,000 years old... AND written "in the Bible"), I find it curious that both Atheists AND religious people, particularly so-called "christians"... not only take issue, but attack. NOT because I have "strong feelings and opinions about the other side." I truly have NO opinion of Atheism... and rarely even post to the subject. My feelings and opinions as to religion and so-called "christianity" is based on nothing more than its very recorded, evidenced, tangible, and provable history.

It's only when we wear our opinions on our sleeves that we are reminded of our dislike and distrust of those who we disagree with.

Again, I have to disagree. Sometimes, it's when we wear our opinions... and beliefs... on our sleeves... that OTHERS are reminded of THEIR dislike... and distrust... of those THEY don't agree with. And attack, as a result. I personally find this to be the epitome of hypocrisy, however, in that such ones cry for "freedom of religion, including no religion,"... but cannot seem to allow others than same freedom. True, the history of religion says it might be dangerous to do so... but not all are lumped into that history. Not all are a part of religion. Thus, not all should be judged by religion.

Again, I bid you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Chalam
    Chalam

Galatians 5:19-21 (English Standard Version)

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these.

Enmity, strife, rivalries, dissensions, divisions and such are inevitable for those who live by the flesh.

Romans 8:7 (English Standard Version)

7 For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot.

The atheist is always going to be hostile to God, hence a marriage with a believer is ill advised however noble the idea.

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing. ~ Oscar Wilde

• tec
    tec

I have to agree with Shelby about the generalization - and I think that is where a lot of the arguing might come into play. Because I also don't believe about atheists what you wrote believers think, either.

I don't have strong feelings about the other side, either - it isn't to me that anyone answers, and there are many atheists who are kinder and more decent people than believers, and vice-versa. I suppose that the only time my hackles get raised is when I am insulted or ridiculed for my belief - by atheists who think I'm stupid, naive, foolish, can't think for myself, etc, etc. I have to say that I have never had another believer ridicule or scoff at me for not belonging to any particular church or denomination... but I live in Canada, and I think its a bit different than the States in regard to this. Still, I'm learning not to feel even that bit of annoyance. I'm beginning to just shrug it off - and for those who feel the need to ridicule or insult, well, I'm sorry for those people.

And believe me, I would totally prefer to keep religion (faith) out of politics too. I don't see what one has to do with the other. Once they get mixed up and a politician is discovered not to be so... christian... then that person gives God and others who believe a bad name.

Tammy

• Iron Head
  • MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Why can't we all just get along? Simple answer... Bill O' Reilly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit