Veterans Stadium

by Little Mac 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Little Mac
    Little Mac

I am brand new to this forum but have spent hours over the last year on here reading and laughing a lot. Laughter is the best medicine. I'd like to cast out a topic here- i'd love to hear what some of your thoughts were if any of you were faithful attendees at the sweltering Veterans Stadium assemblies over the years. Little Mac

• Little Mac
    Little Mac

Veterans Stadium- open air assemblies every June, July, or August in Phila. PA during the 1970's-2005 (or so)

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Little Mac, welcome to the forum.

I have not attended, as I have never been a JW, but my wife has shared quite few sweltering and bathrooms-oh-so-far-away memories from the Vet.

My experience - the Phillies and Eagles games

• sherah
    sherah

I attended DC's at Club Vet, those were some of my the best years spent in the Borg. It was hot as he??, the seats were uncomfortable, the bathroom were dirty and few and those ramps were killer but I have nothing but good memories of those times. DC for me were never the same when they were moved to smaller, out of the way venues.

• Little Mac
    Little Mac

Hey thanks,

I remember the first aid crew used to be so active- people passing out from the heat and what not.

I think someone may have died during one of the bad summers.

• Iron Head
    Iron Head

The best thing that ever happened at Veterans Stadium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6JcRbpiST4

One can only wish that 10,000 JWs and the Philly Phanatic had been inside

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Veterans Stadium ... what a hell hole.

We were assigned to go down to Philadelphia several times from the NY area for the District Convention. All I can say is, it was one of the most horrible places to be.

First, the field level was 25' below the street level. Then, instead of real grass, the field had the old hard astro-turf that just radiated heat. Basically, the field was in a hole with a stadium designed like a donut with no way for air to get in or out. It was horrible to be inside that building on a hot summer day.

Even visiting football and baseball players complained about the horrible conditions of the dressing rooms, bathrooms and showers. It was rat and bug infested.

Other than that, it was a great place to spend several days in the summer.

Rub a Dub

• factfinder
    factfinder

My last DC was in 2000 shortly after my beloved Mom died :(

It was 90 degree heat and I got nothing out of it but headaches. People went home sick each day and for the first time I can remember the attendance was higher in the mornings than in the afternoons. The Public Talk had a lower attendance than the Sunday morning session did. Perhaps that's why now the PT is in the morning?

But as uncomfortable as it was I also had happy memories of conventions there and the food and new releases. The release of the Live Forever book in 1982 was a major highlight. I actually felt sad when Vet Stadium was torn down due to my happy memories of being there when I was so much younger and liked being a witness.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Welcome Little Mac!!!!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Welcome, Little Mac!!!!

Greetings from PA!! This topic has come up before, and I think I myself may have even started it a few years ago. The Vet was pure hell, torture for the downtrodden. I was 3 in 1983 when the Live Forever book came out. I have photos of my parents and I sitting up high in the "nosebleed" section at times, as well other sections of the Vet during different years. I specifically remember 1984, 1988, 1994, 1996. 1996 was my last District Convention. Wow....just realized that. This is mainly due to the horrific, sweltering heat and shear boredom that place radiated. It was like some kind of death march in and out of the place, but more so out of the place. I believe it was the early 80's when I recall seeing apostates out near the parking areas picketing. haha!!

The heat was unbearable, and if you sat up too high you can't understand a damned thing anyway because of the echo from the sound system. Hey, remember the stretched out tarps people put up for shade, and/or rain?? Rain......OMG.....it was like sweet relief if you ever were there and got soaked!!!

I remember in the early 80's, DC's were like 6-7 DAYS, and went from morning till night!! Pure hell for a little kid. My parents must have been crazy!!! All they did was complain about it anyway, and we actually drove 2 hours each way every day I think.

If you were in the same circuit as myself, then no doubt you'll also remember "The Capital Centre" in good ol' Landover Maryland. It was home to the Georgetown Hoyas, though I didn't know it as a kid. Had the world's largest screen inside at the time. That place was ok, but again the drive down was hell on I-95. Also, remember going to the old outdoor horse racetrack, I believe it was in Delaware?? That was hot as well, but I remember it!!!

Regards,

Wing Commander

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit