Father just named an ELDER...party! or not to party!

by Smoky 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Smoky
    Smoky

I just found out that the named my Father an Elder in his congregation. Which i find suprising for many reasons, but thats another story. Anyway my Brothers & Sisters invited me to go out to dinner with them and the families, in HONOR of my fathers new appointment, (2 of my bro are also MS, and had similiar "parties" after appointments). I politely declined. Did not find a reason to celebrate it. Just told my father "its going to be allot of work".

I kind of disturbed by this effort to put an importance behind the appointment...im not sure what to think..i guess i never had much of an interest in moving up in the congregation. My younger brother really embrasses his MS appointment as if it was a prestigious Status.

I wonder if there is a EMPOWERMENT feeling, when you get these positions? Like if you just won an Election...party!, but haven't the WT recently change the titles and lowered the Importance of elders in the congregations. (like they are the same as the "rank & file"). I dont know what to think of this, i thought it was a humbling previlege.

Do Elders and MS often celebrate there appointments?...does anyone seen this? How eleborate do they make them?

Smoky

Smoke'em if you Got'em

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I wonder if there is a EMPOWERMENT feeling, when you get these positions?

A significant number of elders and ministerial servants are egomaniacs. In my experience, however, they were not a majority.

• Ding
    Ding

It's hard to celebrate in good conscience your father becoming a leader in a cult, even if it's a cult he firmly believes in.

It also seems strange that an organization that says celebrating your birthday is idolatrous would find celebrating one's appointment as elder to be perfectly acceptable.

I would say:

1. If your conscience would bother you to celebrate this, then don't.

2. If your conscience wouldn't bother you if you celebrate this, then do what your father wants you to do; it's his life and his appointment...

• Abad-El
    Abad-El

Hey smoky I'm from cuba also this is my first post on JW-net

My father is an Elder also and He's a great guy very zealous but very down to earth

if you love him and He's happy throw a party and make Him happy!!!

• Open mind
    Open mind

"Which i find suprising for many reasons, but thats another story. "

Without knowing the parties involved it's hard to say how weird this is, or not.

Suppose your Dad has been sincerely working on some JW "deficiency" for many years and he finally made it into the club. From what you wrote it sounds like the dinner wasn't even his idea.

Anyway, I can see how it might feel pretty uncomfortable for you to be there since you don't share their values. If you think your Dad really doesn't qualify then that's just one more reason not to join in.

om

• undercover
    undercover

I was only an MS but I didn't celebrate. I had mixed emotions when appointed. Part of me felt good. Holy Spirit had allowed the appointment so I must've been doing something right. At the same time, I knew I didn't really deserve to be appointed. I wasn't an exemplary JW. I had secrets and improper thoughts accompanied by actions occasionally. That disconnect made me wonder if Holy Spirit really had anything to do with it... I mean if I could fool God's spirit, then how many other elders and MSs were fooling him? It wasn't really a time of joy. And I knew it meant more work and more scrutiny over everything I said and did.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Being an elder helped me wake up. There is still hope.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Anytime a person achieves a goal that is esteemed by their peer group, they feel empowered.

Sometimes this is legitimate, sometimes it isn't. Much depends upon which side of the fence you're on.

For example, I'm inclined to think that a person who passes the training to be come a US Navy SEAL Operator has achieved something that sets them apart from the majority (including me).

People who work in a technical field might take pride in passing their A+ or SysAdmin Certification exams. To a guy who hangs sheet rock, those are meaningless.

Becoming an JW elder is a case of becoming a BIG FISH in a tiny pond. It's easier than becoming a member of the local beer-hall bowling team, because the team requires a certain proficiency at bowling.

What are the requirements to be an elder? Supposedly there are "Bible-basedâ„¢" requirements, but anyone who's been a JW for a few years knows that is just the PR. The main requirement is that the other elders and the Circuit Servant (or whatever he's called now) sees you as a "team player." There is no serious attempt at a vetting process. No criminal records are checked (that is a part of SATAN'S WORLD), no interviews are conducted among family, friends, and associates of the prospective elder.

The one printed requirement in the elder's manual is that he cannot be a child molester - and for that we can thank Bill Bowen and silentlambs. He could be a swindler, liar, thief, cheat, adulterer, gambler, substance abuser, drunk, glutton, petty, prone to anger, puffed up with price - any human failing can be manifest and that will not prevent his appointment if "the boys" want him appointed.

"Spirit-directed" appointment? My ass!

So to your Dub family members, Smoky, it may be a big deal, but to those in the real world it is less impressive than a girl scout merit badge.

• Smoky
    Smoky

Thanks guys.

I am realizing my feelings about this is not just a conscience matter about the Elder appointment. I guess its more about what i feel about my Dad. me and my father dont have much of a relationship...for many reasons...but one thing is for sure...i try treat him as much, like he treated me all my life. LIke i dont give a Sh*t. Thats where i am at this time, im sure i will soften up as he gets older.

@

@ leavingwt: Many of my childhood friends are either MS or Elders now, which i have not ill feelings about, unless egomaniac try to throw at my face...then the gloves come off...stuck up bastards!

Does success as a Jehovah Witness measured on how high in the Totum pole you get?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Does success as a Jehovah Witness measured on how high in the Totum pole you get?

Yes. If you were to examine recordings of casual conversations that take place during assemblies/conventions, you'll notice a common theme. When two brothers meet and talk for the first time, they "size up" the "Spirituality' of each other. They ask certain direct (and some indirect) questions to determine how the leadership structure views this brother. Is the brother an elder? Fine. What kind of elder? Is he used on Circuit and District programs? How long has he been an elder? Etc, etc.

STATUS is everything within cults. Not just the JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit