Father just named an ELDER...party! or not to party!

by Smoky 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

JWs aren't allowed to celebrate anything.

It would be interesting to write the branch and ask them if it's inappropriate to hold a party in honor of a man's appointment.

• asilentone
    asilentone

Billy said "It would be interesting to write the branch and ask them if it's inappropriate to hold a party in honor of a man's appointment."

If anyone writes the branch and get a reply, please post a new topic about it. Thanks!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Maybe print him off a copy of the new elders book. Have i bound up nicely for him and get the little gold embossing on the bottom with the date he was appointed and his name. Tell him you thought it would be nice for him to be able to read up on all the rules before his real book gets delivered from brooklyn.

maybe that would be a wake up call!

• mamalove
    mamalove

I remember the pioneer lunches that I thought were pretty pious....what made them better than the average publisher?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    It would be interesting to write the branch and ask them if it's inappropriate to hold a party in honor of a man's appointment.

I agree with this statement.

There are elders that take a liberal approach to many things, when you get an elder that goes by the book, you really see the degree of control the organization has. Liberal elders, while perhaps liked more in the congregation, aren't doing any favors for the sheep because it prevents them from recognizing the true nature of the organization.

Our congregation has some pretty easy-going friendly elders. When I was an elder, I tried to lessen the extremes myself. Some time ago an elder moved into the congregation and he is a by the book corporate guy, he has a KM or Watchtower article for every situation. If he had claimed to be anointed, I am sure Jaracz would have invited him to be a part of the GB. I have been exploiting this for my benefit trying to get my wife see how controlling the organization really is.

Everybody in a congregation should try to get the elders to tow the corporate line, write letters to the society, make the sheep experience the extent of the control this organization demands.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    Being an elder helped me wake up. There is still hope.

Can you elaborate?

I had some fellows come by for a Bible study, but it turned out not to be a Bible study at all. They were jumping all over the place asking loaded questions that had fixed answered. We got hung up on the Armageddon issue and how "Jerusalem" was removed from the JW interpretation. The guys wrote down my biblical citations and promised to get back to me on them. The next time they came (actually just one came back, but with an elder). The elder was clearly the one in charge and there was a distinct deference made to him. He didn't act like the others. (If you've ever been to one of those high-pitch sales, you start off with the rank sales person. When you don't take the deal, they go get the "manager" who can bend the rules and give you a better deal, but only if you act today -- right now.) That's what the elder was like. He was like the next stage manager and he clearly took charge of the meeting. I would have respected him a little bit more, but he wrote down the verses in Revelation, Ezekiel, Zechariah and other citations clearly stating that "Jerusalem" would be the target of Armageddon battle, not the WBTS. They stated that Armageddon was only mentioned once in the scriptures, but actually that "once" clearly spoke about the attack being against Jerusalem. They also missed the second reference in Zechariah 12:11: And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn. In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddon."

See the reference to Jerusalem? Then the Jews will look upon "me" (Jehovah) whom they, the Jews, had "pierced." Then, once the "inhabitants of Jerusalem" realize that their fathers killed their Messiah, there will be mourning "as one moureth for his only son." And, saith the Lord, "In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddon." That "valley of Megiddon" is a clear reference to Armageddon. Yet the Watchtowers says: "THE word 'Armageddon' has its origin in the Hebrew expression Har–Magedon, or 'Mountain of Megiddo.' It is found at Revelation 16:16 , which states: 'They gathered them together to the place that is called in Hebrew Har–Magedon.'" But as we see, it's not the only reference to Armageddon.

This was what I told the elder, and he wrote it all down and *poof* -- that's the last I heard from him or the others. So I guess the "manager" decided that I wasn't likely to buy the time share. So elders do have to make these decisions and if they have that kind of deference I saw, then I suppose they have quite a bit of authority.

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

Hi Cold Steel,

That is pretty cool research you did there about Armaggedon. Is there a thread on this Forum about it or can you PM it to me? Thanks in advance.

Hoffnung

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit