Kent Sate masscre

by d 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I was 18 at the time in early May and remember it well and of course it all comes back when I hear that CSNY song. Four dead kids around my age. In the end it was the consequence of fearful, inexperienced, dishonest and immature people who found themselves in charge of a situation they couldn't handle, and they fumbled the ball. It went all the way to the top. Richard Nixon ultimately caused the Kent State massacre because the Ohio National Guard was called in because of Nixon's intolerance toward Vietnam war protests. It was pretty bad, but it would have been worse if the cause had not been gross incompetence. If knowledge of this massacre is new to you, you might want to google the Jallianwala Bagh massacre by British troops in 1919. In that case, the person in charge wanted to kill people. His men kept shooting until they ran out of ammunition.

The world is a strange and dangerous place, indeed.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Of course, the Jallianwala Bagh massacre was not quite as bad as the 1968 My Lai massacre. I expect you remember that one, too, TD.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Did the organization use this as an educational message to teach about the bad things that can happen to people who go to universities?

Kind of like war ... well Mrs. Householder, you can be sure that it wasn't one of Jehovah's Witnesses that killed your son, but it could have been somebody from your own faith.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Don't think so, wannabefree. It would have been a pretty cynical statement since at the time the Society was discouraging kids from going to college and of course none of them were in the National Guard.

• blondie
  • AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    wannabefree wrote: Did the organization use this as an educational message to teach about the bad things that can happen to people who go to universities?

I don't personally recall the org itself using this as a reason to not go to university. However, I *have* heard individual JWs reference this and other sordid news reports to emphasize the 'college is bad' belief.

Additionally, around 1985 I was in service with a young elder's wife. Householder refused to speak to us on basis of JW failure to participate in military. Her son was killed in war and she somehow felt betrayed (??) by JWs. (Or jealous or that if there would have been better support...)

As we were leaving the doorstep, the young elder's wife said: "Well you can be absolutely *sure* that it wasn't one of Jehovah's witnesses that killed your son."

*sigh* crazy times.

-Aude.

• sir82
    sir82

Here's a blog about it, which highlights some recent discoveries:

http://www.derfcity.com/blog/blah_1010.html

See the heading "The truth is out there"

• blondie
  • d
    d

This happend before my Time but I heard about on National Geographic.So it got me thinking how did Jehovah Witness see this tragedy and was to them a sign of the times.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    was to them a sign of the times.

Sure was!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit