Kent Sate masscre

by d 21 Replies latest jw friends

• d
    d

Since this the 40 yr anniversity of the Shooting.How did feel about the shootings as a Jw do you see as the sign of the End times?Were you scared about inpending perscution or revolution in this Country.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I was 9 and a half when my parents began studying in January 1970 and they were baptized 6 months later. Armageddon was coming in 5 years and the WTS was inspired by Jehovah.

WT literature, written 6 months or so before publication was prophetic as current events seems to coincide with what was happening the week we presented the mags in service.

There was a photo in the orange book "From Paradise Lost, to Paradise Regained" that was strangely similar to a popular photo taken at the scene of the Kent State Massacre. The girl kneeling next to her slain friend... Her arms are extended up towards the sky.

For years my parents used that photo as partial evidence of the WTS inspiration and insight and proof of Jehovah's direction.

-Aude.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I haven't heard of this massacre. Must have been before my time, what happened?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Soldier77 wrote: Must have been before my time, what happened?

National guard shot at unarmed students who were protesting on the campus. "Four dead in O-hi-o."

Here is wikipedia link which also, coincidently enough, has that photo I was referencing in my previous post:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings

-Aude.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

For those too young to remember, I found this on YouTube. Shows news photos of the event while Neil Young sings his song about the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs6aaaJBAv0

(that youtube link also shows lyrics but the first line is wrong. Should be: "Tin soldiers and Nixon coming.")

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Ok, rings a bell now, the title threw me off, Kent Sate, thought it was a name of an actual person. My bad!

• d
    d

Sorry I misspelled it I was supposed to Kent State masscre.Sorry for the mix up thanks.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I think this was a valid question but the mis-spelling may have caused many to just skip over it. (Maybe message a moderator and ask them to edit the spelling.)

I thought about it alot yesterday and remember this coming up so frequently in conversations about 'the end' (which was a daily topic in a new-JW family back then.)

d- How did it affect you? What are your thoughts??

-Aude.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

That brought tears to my eyes, it took me back to that time. I was not a witnesses I was a campus radical at the time at a university in ohio. I demonstrated at my school and we were attacked by fraternity guys for our beliefs no one was seriously injured. I participated in other demonstrations in cleveland and columbus'

I wasn't expecting to be so affected by that video it's been a long time and I've been through many changes but I still remember how we all felt innocent and idealistic dreaming somehow we could change the world.

• TD
    TD

Remember it well. It was a terrible tragedy.

At the time though, everyone except very small children had their perspective shaped by fresh memories of the 60's with multiple assassinations of very prominent public figures, protests which turned violent and actual riots in major cities, a long and very unpopular war and tension between eastern and western blocks of nations that we haven't seen since.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit