When was the last 7-Day Convention held?

by VM44 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

Did you get to go to the pne, too?

S

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I was in Melbourne for the 1969 one.

Two days drive just to get there.

Spent most of my time volunteering in the kitchen to keep my arse off the seats. Didn't learn a goddam thing. Boring, boring, boring.

Still have photos of it.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Did you get to go to the pne, too?.....S

Of course...

One year I went on the Haunted House Ride with some Other JW kids from the Assemby..

The assholes frigg`n trashed the place..

I got out of there,before they could connect me with those lunatics..

Remember the Sky Ride from the Collosium to Playland?..

And..

The Crazy Apostate with the Bullhorn who would go round and round..Denouncing the WBT$?..

That was my buddys Anointed Dad..LOL!!..

........................ ...OUTLAW

• Petula15
    Petula15

´was in chicago

got to see johnny carson do amazing neil armstrong joke in a bee keepers suit

yearly vacation you know how it was with long conventions

took down notes.... v p freddy said WW3 would never happen............

Summer of 69 WoW

• Satanus
    Satanus

We went on a few rides; a roller coaster, one that flipped you upside down, could have been in the haunted house. Memory's a bit fuzzy on the details. Cool times.

S

• VM44
    VM44

The early Bible Student's held 10-day conventions!

Really, what was the purpose of these extended, marathon conventions?

They really didn't do the average attendee any good.

No one remembered what was said in most of the talks....too many of them, and the outdoor conditions did not help one to concentrate.

• therevealer
    therevealer

I have been thinking about this in conjunction with what was the purpose and I believe it was simply to draw attention to themselves. Look at us, we must be special. Who else has huge followings like this. Must mean we have the truth.

• factfinder
    factfinder

My first district assembly was in 1977-4 days. (I did not go in 1976 but it was 4 days).

1978 was the Victorious Faith International Convention-5 days

!979 forward they were called District Conventions-4 days.

In the late 80's they became 3 1/2 days- we went out in FS on Thursday mornings or afternoons, later they went to 3 days.

I agree they will eventually just be Saturday and Sunday.

Seems like 1969 was the last 7 day convention. I'm glad conventions were not that long when I went! How did anyone get anything out of it ( aside from new releases)?

• Quentin
    Quentin

1969 we went to Kansas City and stayed in a tent in a converted farm. I remember man landed on the moon one night.......NewYorkVM44

Yup, Sunday to Sunday, eight days. Purpose? As said above draw attention to the wtbts. Kansas City was held in the Royal's baseball stadium. I stayed in that tent city about two days then hooked up with some kh buddies. Six of us stayed in a Holiday Inn room wich was a double. Heh, heh, I got the floor.

At the stadium some Dallas jw's figured out how to jimme the stadum conssion stand beer taps. We drank beer for two nights till the stands were locked down by stadium personel. Last one I attended was 1973 Houston, Tx. It was at least five days, but can't remember for sure. Those were the days.

Any assembly, no matter the length was a holiday for me. Only thing I sat and watched were the dramas, otherwise I roamed the grounds. Yeah, it was hot, hot , hot. Kansas City was the high water mark for me. By the time Houston rolled around was married with a three month old to care for. Spent all my time in the seats, or motel room, left Saturday morning back to Dallas. There was nothing to gain from the talks, nothing at all when one actualy sat and really attended.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I wonder if it's significant, that around 1969 was also the hieght of creativity in the western world, in general. It was the tail end of the hippie movement, and the peak of creative rock and roll, imo. I wonder if the prevailing attitude in the world also affected the jw corp. These kinds of things travel at the subconscious level.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit