How many used to beat their car’s to death in field service?

by life is to short 19 Replies latest jw friends

• life is to short
    life is to short

OK so this is my second winter out of the crazy religion.

Where I live we can get really bad winters and this seems to be another bad year. We just had a record November for snow fall. We live in the city and the city snow plowing is not the best to say the least. The main streets are good but the side streets are impassable to everyone sane expect the JW's. The street we live on has not been plowed for days and the temperature at night is low teens. To drive on the side streets is insane the streets are frozen ice.

This has always since the day I was married been an issue between my husband and I. When we were first married we lived in the country. The congregation was in a little town of 2000 people and all we did was drive the rural territory. In the winter it was hell. We literally beat the hell out of our car. We had only a front wheel drive and we plowed snow or ice with it. Of course the so called "friends" did not want to use their cars and my husband said what was ours belonged to Jehovah so ours was always in use. We would pack five to six people in our Honda civic and out we went or he would and they would drop me off at work. We were both pioneering at the time, my husband was the only elder in the hall for the first two years of our marriage, he worked about five hours a week and I worked 30 to 35, so it was my money I felt that was being abused to pay for the repairs on the car.

So anywho it is now today 23 years later and my husband wanted to go out today using our car. All the old anger and bitterness came up and I blew. Two years ago I was still struggling if this was the "truth" and I was still going out in service, not today. I have not been out in over a year and after reading on this board I know door to door is a as our poster Terry put it a "Phony pursuit designed to give the impression to the world at large that this is religion is about evangelism. IT IS NOT! If the GB really wanted to save lives they would use public airwaves, broadcasting media, podcasts, Television, DVDS, or any contemporary technology proven to be effective." Our beating the hell out of our cars in insane to say the least. . Even when we go out we have to stop in the middle of the street and block traffic as there is no way to pull over to the side of the street, we look like idiots with two people jumping out of the car and trying to make it to the house through the snow and ice. I could go on and on.

So how about those of you who live in the true winter land where you get real snow, did you beat your cars to death, did you just not go out on bad days or did you try to use other peoples cars who like my husband was more than willing to offer up theirs.

Two years ago this stupid elder had a part on the service meeting and he had a son who was nine years old at the time. He mentioned during his part his son had told him "dad it is insane to drive in this snow door to door." Smart son do not know where he came from. This elder had told his son that "Jehovah's work never stops no matter what." Now this elder does not go out that much and has a four wheel drive but still that is what he said from the stage to guilt the rank and file.

This is such an insane religion

LITS

• Think About It
    Think About It

That brings back bad memories. I was the type who would willingly offer to drive my vehicle all the time. You could tell the ones (mainly snobby elders) who would manipulate things in order to keep from having to use their vehicles.

I once used my 2 door sports car and this big mean dog jumped up by my door barking, snapping & trying to bite through the glass. I seen his sharp claws on my paint job and was infuriated. I opened the door and chased him away with his tail between him legs. The dog put a few scratches on my car door. How time and opened eyes changes things.

Think About It

• life is to short
    life is to short

Thanks Think About It.

It was not just the winter time that killed the car but it was the worst time of the year. Dogs were horrible bitting the tires. My husband had a tire destroyed by a dog, he always had cheep tires seems Jehovah never provided good stuff for him just things that barely made it. Well my husband had this tire that was worn out and this dog bit through it but Jehovah provided another cheep tire for him, it just ruined the service day for him at the time as he had to stop for the day to try to find Jehovah to get Him to get the tire. The reasoning of Jehovah's Witnesses is so insane, Jehovah provides everything just like Santa Claus. Dogs jumping on the car trying to get into the car also drove me crazy.

How many fights my husband and I have had over other elders not even having cars to use in field service. I ask my husband why do we have to send our money this way when these elders will ride around in our car leaving their two door sports cars sitting at their home driving trucks to the hall. My husbands response was alway you did not marry that elder you married me and everything belongs to Jehovah.

You just cannot reason with a JW. My husband truly believes this is the "truth" and I want to scream.

I cannot even begin to tell how many elders always manipulated things to not use their car in service. One elder and his wife parked their car a block from the hall so as to not get door dings on the car and they were pioneers. The CO was good with it.

I have just been pushed to far and no the car is not going out today.

LITS

• bohm
    bohm

My husband had a tire destroyed by a dog, he always had cheep tires seems Jehovah never provided good stuff for him just things that barely made it. Well my husband had this tire that was worn out and this dog bit through it but Jehovah provided another cheep tire for him, it just ruined the service day for him at the time as he had to stop for the day to try to find Jehovah to get Him to get the tire. The reasoning of Jehovah's Witnesses is so insane, Jehovah provides everything just like Santa Claus.

your a riot, that made me laugh out loud .

• Think About It
    Think About It
    your a riot, that made me laugh out loud .

LITS is funny and a sweetheart.

Think About It

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yeah Sister.....Pioneered with a 16 year old car....lost hubcaps on many a farm....blew a radiator....oil pump......went thru car number 2 much the same engine blew [only 10 years old} now I haven't been Witnessing in many years and the money saved bought me a new car which has never been in "Slave service" for the Watchtower.

• designs
    designs

My Pioneer car was a 64 Chevy Malibu with a Hearst 4 speed and a 4 Barrel Carb

....gawd I miss that car

'Drove my Chevy to the levy.............

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have seen this happen, even though I never had a car. Two different witlesses had cars that I could see big holes in the floor--big enough so the whole floor threatened to drop out at any time. Those cars didn't just have a scratch or dent, or ugly rust spots on the doors--they were unsafe!

Another car I saw all the time was an old Oldsmobile, that lasted until past 1996 (and I don't know how much beyond that). That damn thing had to be somewhere before 1984. It had one of those old "55 MPH speedometers" that maxed out at 85. The felt on the roof was coming off everywhere, and no serious attempt was made to glue it back up (a bead of glue, holding a thin strip of wood, running along the length of the felt, would have secured it).

And yes, I saw the witlesses doing door to door despite bad weather. Once we went door to door in a snowstorm with a foot of snow. And plenty of times, we were out in 6 inches with more coming. Side streets were usually poorly plowed or a sheet of ice during the winter, especially after these storms. Yet, the witlesses never cancelled a boasting session or allowed that as an excuse to skip field circus.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I was out in the work in the hot southern United States and we would often just leave the A.C. running to let two people out on "calls." Similar when we moved to the north and left the heat on for the same. Its so environmentally irresponsible.

It did seem that pioneers would get little Hondas or Toyotas and those with the SUV's would come out on just Saturday. 10 year old 4-cylinder cars are not really meant to putt around for hours with frequent stops and left idling the whole time. They should at least have gotten diesel sedans for that.

I remember as an elder, buying a pickup truck in the city of Chicago. While it was common in the south, it was not up north. The other elders started in on me for not buying a field-service car, even though this was a second vehicle for me. I had already reached the point of letting it go in one ear and out the other.

• nelly136
    nelly136

my dads car was the taxi, he'd ferry the 3 fat ladies from the back of beyond to and from the countryside to the meetings.

he drove

(minus the writing),if youre from usa, unless you've actually seen a reliant robin its a little hard to explain how small/lightweight they are, but i'd imagine the robins 750cc engine would probably fit comfortably in the paniers of one of your harleys if you bunged half in each side.

at a squeeze we could fit in the 3 fat ladies my mum and dad in the seats and me and even a friend o two in the boot, though quite often to save the sardine factor me and my mum would end up walking or he'd pick them up first then come back for us.

he'd make the journey in all weathers, the lone front wheel at the front made for pretty interesting snow driving.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit