Cross or Stake, which is biblically true??

by butalbee 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I know I am doing what I hate other posters doing........I am going to post how I feel regardless what has been posted.

As far as what Jesus was sacrificed on........I don't care. What I DO care about is that He came to earth and gave His life. What does it matter to me what it was that He was hung on?

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I caught this on the third page. I don't have time to go through all of them. But I do have time (LOL) to post my own personal opinion. IMO, it does not matter if Jesus was pinned to a stake or a cross or a square......the Bible states He came to blot out our sins. End of story. I don't care what imperfect humans stuck him on....the important thing is that He knew what He was facing and He did........for the love of mankind.

• Solace
    Solace

HALEJAUIA!!!
    Sorry, I have no idea if that is spelled right.
    Dazed, I couldnt have said it better myself!
    Thank you!!!!!!
    Now, if we could get everyone in the world to agree

• Saint Theresa
    Saint Theresa

A cross is a pagan symbol, it promotes idolatry, worshipping an object, in the witness fairy tale
    Therefore a stake is plain and simple and ugly, nobody would wear one of them around their neck or hang on their wall.
    I think, though, witnesses are just trying to be different, and break apart normal christian teachings.
    My opinion is witnesses are the pagans.

Nobody cares for my opinion, though, so I will not continue.

• butalbee
    butalbee

Okay--did a little research when I first posted this 'outdate' thread, on the cross/stake thingie. The catholic dudes at the vatican have a cross dating back to the same time as Jesus was crucified. I guess they think it is one of the same crosses that Jesus put to death on, actually they think it was one of the criminal's "cross" that accompanied Jesus on his day of doom. Been awhile since I researched that and since I'm drinking a couple beers, I hope that makes sense. LOL@myself.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Hello plmkrzy and ARoarer

Sorry to reply back to you so late. Although late is better than never. Yes I found this information while watching the PBS documentary, From Jesus to Christ. It was the best objective documentary I have watch about the early Christian movement. Watch for it or you can also go to:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/jesus/

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• xxx
    xxx

Hello
    God inspired men to write stake but men ignored god and wrote cross instead, did they? no cos they penned stauros(only stake can be derived from it). It was the people that translated the original scriptures that ignored god and added their own beliefs( trinity doctrine? etc..) regarding what implement was used to kill jesus.

I'm not saying jesus wasn't killed by death on a cross, but i wouldn't read any bible that has cross in, thereby perhaps avoiding being guided by imperfect men - scripture: "doesn't belong for man to direct his own steps".

jw's bible appears to be accurate - any bible that has cross in isn't.

anyway if, in the event that jesus was murdered by a gun would u idolise it to remember him? jws neither use crosses,stakes or any other idols!

blah blah blah

torah

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    jw's bible appears to be accurate - any bible that has cross in isn't.

How hopelessy naive. Where are all these Watchtower apologists coming from all of a sudden?
    Hang around here a while, newbie, and you might learn something.

--
    But if you pray all your sins are hooked upon the sky
    Pray and the heathen lie will disappear
    Prayers they hide the saddest view
    (Believing the strangest things, loving the alien)
    -- David Bowie, Loving The Alien

• Will Power
    Will Power

In the secular history book by Jophesus (sp) who had absolutely nothing to win or lose by identifying a torture stake or a cross, records a few paragraphs of the jew by the name of jesus who was crucified on a cross as it was the thing the romans did.
    The stakes were left in the ground because this was the favored death penalty of the time, OR they would use the trees that grew outside the city walls. A crossbeam, or [other] stake would be attached and the prisoner was hung from it, or in Jesus' case nailed to it.

The "impaler" was a different form of torture. Stakes in the ground that were sharpened at the end and the prisoner was pushed onto it thru the gut and slowly bled to death, That is what is meant by impaled.

And you are right, the mode isn't what is important it is the reason. The Jewish hierarchy & the roman magistrates humiliated him. In their eyes (the farassies) Jesus was a threat, he was being ex-communicated in the ultimate way. How dare he come and question their teachings, their money making ways. How dare he stand up and say that "I and the Father are one" They knew he wasn't stating that "they think alike" but was indeed in need of a good stoning for blasphemy.
    He was taking away their control.

Thomas said to Him, Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."John 14:5-6

So next time the WT tries to tell you that "they" are the "truth" & you need their faithful & discreet slave labor camp to be under the umbrella (without even the chance of getting to the Father anyway because they say you are not included in the sons of God analogy) Choose the cross as Jesus did (figuratively)
    This is what the early christians did.
    The WT will put you out literally on the torture stake just as Jesus was put out and mother will be against daughter, husband against wife.....

Mr. Bowen, the Pandelos, Ms Anderson et al are bearing their cross right now. and who is trying to humiliate them?

• homeschool
    homeschool

BTTT, after 7 years . This topic came up in my study today and this thread has some great info

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit