WT Society wants Elders to Conceal Information to Psychiatrists- Elders Bk.

by flipper 58 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

what i've heard (and read on this board), many witnesses are on prescription drugs for depression, etc., and how many more self medicate w/alcohol. if they did have onboard psychological/psychiatric services the docs would have locked in security. (i realize they would never have use for professionals to help their flock inside).

sounds like they keep the mental health field professionals busy already unless they obtain meds through their general practitioner.

LV101

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    The Society thought most psychiatric therapy was ala Esalen with naked bodies in hot tubs and sitting cheek to cheek.

You just described my group therapy sessions. Gotta keep the bong outside the hot tub, though. Someone keeps spilling it's contents.

• designs
    designs

Did you get better

• flipper
    flipper

Gonna be tied up for a few days- won't be able to respond until Monday, but thought I'd bump this up for any weekenders who want to respond with some thoughts. Thanks

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Mrs. Flipper is pretty kinky.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Marking...

And adding a comment.

When I was "in", married to that alcoholic-pool-hall-gambling-ski-bum Jehovah's Witness husband, my depression got bad enough that I sought "professional" help - hah, hah, hah....

The elders - or my mother - recommended some JW elder who was supposedly some sort of psychologist. Of course, the first session basically involved a biblical discussion of my role as the "weaker" female - and how I was suposed to be in "submission", even to a jack*ss like that drunken bum I married...

Needless to say, I only went two or three times - and the sessions CERTAINLY didn't lift my depression!!

Yuuuuukkkk...

The point you raised, Flipper;

"Could it be they are concerned about depressed JW's revealing THESE types of " confidential " matters that occur inside the Jehovah's Witness organization ? Child abuse, blood transfusions on minors without the child's consent, shunning of family members promoted by disfellowshipping, dissassociating, or even inactive members stopping attending meetings . Also injustices commited by elders towards rank & file members - unjust decisions , lies, gossiping, inaccurate character assault , slander, misrepresentation of REAL facts. ALL of these situations could possibly be revealed by a depressed Jehovah's Witness to a psychiatrist. ..."

But this point: "or even inactive members stopping attending meetings"... I would say, more like the inactive ones being hounded by the elders, sometimes even to the point of having an elder or two stake out the inactive one's house and otherwise invade their privacy.

Also, I wonder whether "blood transfusions on minors without the child's consent" would be more like, "childrens' health and life put at risk due to religious edicts threatening any parents who allow their child to have proper medical treatment though disapproved of, by the religious leaders, with disfellowshipment - "spiritual" death..."

THAT would play well with a psychiatrist or psychologist...

Zid

• flipper
    flipper

Been out of town for a few days so sorry for the delay in answering. You all make some very good points ! Thanks for the replies.

SCULLY- I agree- I wouldn't want an elder to counsel me either for a depression problem as they ARE NOT qualified to do so. But the LEAST they could do is advise a JW to go to a particular professional therapist , but this new elders book tells elders they are NOT allowed to do that. They can only say it's up to a JW's conscience. AND that if a JW goes to a therapist not to rat out anybody from the congregation about any dirty laundry which might have disturbed the depressed person. So it's " information control" once again which the WT society is very adept at doing.

BALTAR 447- Isn't it ironic that an elder got help to heal his own depression and marriage from professional counseling- but he is not allowed to recommend it to rank & file members ? Definitely a double standard.

PALIMPSEST- Interesting response by you. I can for sure understand why you would be relieved to hear that elders aren't to recommend a therapist, especially with the weird JW psychologist you talked about. That being said , it's better generally for JW's to get help for depression by a lisenced therapist than spilling their guts to elders without any training.

LV 101- I knew a lot of JW's on prescription medication for depression too.

ITSACULT- You aren't a doctor but stayed at the Holiday Inn express ? O.K. I'm happy for you. And your point is .......... ?

OTWO- You sound like you have some pretty exciting group therapy sessions ! LOL !

ZIDDINA- Yeah, you make a really good point. When female witnesses are told to get " counseling " from elders the alleged " counsel " will always be laced with how the lady should show " submission " even to dickhead husbands like you said you had. My JW older sister went through this as well. She was married for 20 years to a abusive JW guy who beat the snot out of her - when she talked to the elders about it they asked her, " What are you doing that makes him mad ? Are you showing proper submission ? ' Those elders were just plain idiots !

I'm glad you were able to go to a therapistduring that bad marriage to your ex. Very true what you say how elders harass and stalk JW's who stop attending meetings. And if psychiatrists and therapists heard about elders counseling people to NOT give blood transfusions to save childrens lives - I can only imagine the $hit storm THAT would start if it was more widely known. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Gross and horrific, really... thank heavens we are free! Now, for our loved ones...

Thank you for posting this, Mr. Flipper! Give that gorgeous Mrs. Flipper a big hug from the Baba.

• flipper
    flipper

BABA YAGA- You are welcome ! I thought it was important to see how the WT society is training elders to treat our JW families so we can be one step ahead of them. I'm so glad we are free, and you are right- now let's work on our JW families. I'll give my wife a big hug for you ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Scully
    Scully

flipper:

I wouldn't want an elder to counsel me either for a depression problem as they ARE NOT qualified to do so. But the LEAST they could do is advise a JW to go to a particular professional therapist , but this new elders book tells elders they are NOT allowed to do that.

I think there's good reason for that too, aside from the Legal Department™'s penchant to keep the Organization™'s ass covered. I'm sure the JWs of your acquaintance weren't very different from mine - I know of several JWs in the various Congregations™ we attended that recommended all manner of alternative therapies, ranging from iridology (and the Elder™ whose wife was the practitioner of iridology very conveniently sold the herbal remedies that she happened to recommend), to hair sampling, to weird diets and such. In some cases, there was almost a cult-like following of these practitioners, who claimed to be able to cure things like parasites in the brain (I'm not making this up!) to ADHD and even mental illness. I think this is the exact reason why the WTS is now instructing Elders™ to avoid recommending practitioners of any kind - because of the history of referrals to crackpots and charlatans, that end up doing little to help, and sometimes contribute to harm, and ALWAYS divert cash flow away from the WTS.

They can only say it's up to a JW's conscience. AND that if a JW goes to a therapist not to rat out anybody from the congregation about any dirty laundry which might have disturbed the depressed person. So it's " information control" once again which the WT society is very adept at doing.

The only problem I have with the censorship / information control in a therapeutic relationship is that without the entire picture, including the individual's core beliefs and values, it's a waste of time and money spent on a therapist. The therapist is unable to address the issues from a holistic point of view, because a vital part of the history is censored out. The WTS is still very good at creating a kind of paranoia about the helping professions, whether it's a physician (whose main objective as far as some JWs are concerned is to trick you into taking blood), a psychiatrist (who is going to hypnotize you and get you to leave The Truth™, or anyone else who could be nicer to you than JWs are and start making you doubt the belief system.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit