Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 Winter Tires

by Simon 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

We had wet snow this morning as I drove into work. Temps are above freezing so it's melting right now.

I'm gettin' my snows on next week! This will be the first time since I started driving that I will have a set of snow tires. I've been driving for over 30 years. Not sure what they're gonna put on the car -- will find out next week.

I'm hopin' they'll be amazing like yours Simon.

• wobble
    wobble

In your part of the world, where you get snow regularly, snow tires make sense, I guess the trucks and delivery vehicles all have them too ?

Here in the U.K the trucks are not getting through to the supermarkets 'coz they ain't gottem. panic buying soon, mark my words.

-22 deg. C. is forecast for the Scottish Highlands tonight. Not too bad here "darn sarf" -4Deg. C. or thereabouts they reckon.

• badseed
    badseed

Tires definitely make a big difference in winter. I used to keep my all seasons all year, but one time I changed to winter tires, man, what a difference. After that I was sold to winter tires. They can be a little noisy when on pavement but I learned to live with that. So Calgary got hammered I heard. I had to get out of Canada once again, just can't take the cold anymore.

• Simon
    Simon
    They don't realise that 4x4's with ABS, but ordinary tires, slide on ice as well as my sledge does.

Yes, a 4x4 helps you get started but makes no difference when it comes to stopping - if anything, the typical extra weight and higher center of gravity makes them stop worse.

I think Alberta should follow Quebec's lead and make them mandatory. Apparently, the stats were something like +40% of accidents in snow / icy conditions were caused by the less than 10% of drivers who didn't have winter tires on.

Britain definitely isn't geared up for harsh winters but probably should get used to it - it seems to be the way things are going. As you say though, if the majority of people don't use them and they block the roads with abandoned vehicles then it makes them irrelevant for everyone.

• mouthy
    mouthy

You mean to say I gotta get snow tires???
    Oh well .... I have had all weather ones I will stay with them
    I bet you wish you were back home Simon

• Satanus
    Satanus

Growing up in canada, i had this macho thing, where i prided myself on being able to drive, yearround w summer tires. I only landed in the ditch a couple of times, and that was in my teen age yrs. Glare ice w water on it? I can handle it. After many yrs of that silliness, i switched to all seasons. Finally, a few yrs ago, i got some real winter snow tires on. Aaah. Now, i can relax a bit.

S

• badcompany
    badcompany

Thanks for the advice. I usually go to Les Schwab and tell them I want studded tires and I want to see nothing but sparks and cement dust. Unfortunately it is hell on the roads. I'm going to give these a try.

BTW. I spent the winter in Calgary back in '98. That's where I learned that the old saying "it's too cold to snow" is BS. I realized this when I went to cross a street, 40 below and I could barely see the streetlight through the snow that was moving horizontally. I was impressed with the way Calgary handles it. I guess you either get tough (and smart) or die.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Simon, I'm glad you had such excellent results. Are you allowed to use studded tires in Canada?

I've been fortunate to avoid acquiring much experience driving in those conditions, but my one experience with studded tires was in the Great Seattle Blizzard about ten , maybe 12 years ago (actually, maybe more than that). Anyway, I was in a cab with studded tires, and he drove purposefully and intelligently and never once got stuck. We passed a LOT of stuck and abandoned cars that day.

When it snow in Seattle, lots of people just stop wherever they are - freeway, access ramps, side streets - and walk away from their cars.

Yes, they are morons.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Simon!..

Your adapting to our Canadian weather nicely..

Good for you..

One more piece of equipment you need is tire chains for snow..

You will rarely need them but when you do..You will be grateful you have them..

Bring your winter "tire size" into Canadian Tire and ask for snow tire chains..

They are around $99.00+tax a pair..You only need a pair..

They are "very easy" to put on,even in shitty weather conditions..

Practice putting them on in your driveway..

That way you will know how to get the job done quickly in an emergency..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hey outlaw

Are the chains still made of steel, or plastic, now? If so, which do you recommend?

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit