JWs love that " new generation" teaching- yes, they do.

by moshe 44 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And they wonder why I call them witlesses. This blatantly contradicts the Bible, is a blatant stall tactic, and still they fall for it.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Agonus asked, "... What about when 2014 rolls around? How well do you think Invisible Jesus Centennial is going to go over with the tired elderlies who just got the finger from Splane & Co.?"

There is no basis for saying that a centennial of 1914 has any significance. Any chosen date has to conform to "Bible-based chronology™" (BBC™) or it won't fly. The WTB&TS has already made indirect reference to 2034 by pointing to Jesus words about "just as in the days of Noah." Noah preached for 120 years. Add that to 1914 and you get 2034.

Other alternatives involve multiples of 50 years from 1925, which was supposed to be a Super-Dooper-Whoopee-"Here-We-Go"-Grand-Ultimate Jubilee Year. That's one of two BBC™ arithmetics that gave us 1975. Using this model, 2025 and 2075 are candidates.

The second BBC™ arithmetic that gave us 1975 was the Adam's 6,000 birthday celebration. The Society started with the BBC™ of Reverend Usher and modified it through the years. They can tweak that date by any number the "find evidence" for.

The puzzle of how long Adam was alone in Paradise remains. Eve HAD TO have been created in time for Adam to produce his first son when he was 130. Adding 130 to 1975 gives us 2105 which is not a good date to use now because it is too far away for Dub psychology to accept.

When I was a kid I imagined that ALL the WT teachings were brand-new direct revelations from God; that's pretty much what I was taught to believe. Thus, I have always been surprised when I've learned how much of the WATCHTOWER's doctrine came from earlier Protestants that the WTB&TS does not say were in any way special; they borrowed doctrine from "blind apostates" and ran it up the flagpole to see if it would fly.

• Ding
    Ding

From "The check is in the mail" to "Don't worry. You'll get your money before you die. If not, your kids will get it for sure."

• ziddina
    ziddina

Bttt

• Terry
    Terry

Something isn't TRUE unless it corresponds to reality.

Believing something eventually will be shown to correspond to a future reality requires faith.

Basing your entire world view on an UNVERIFED correspondence between "present truth" and a future event can produce anxiety.

Consequently, a doctrine which LIMITS the term of correspondency between "what you believe is true" and the EVENT which confirms it encourages hope.

Scriptures which tell us " A little while longer...." create anticipation.

"Come quickly, Lord Jesus!" is a fervent hope made Two THOUSAND years ago!

The Jehovah's Witnesses did the unthinkable. They had their dessert first before the main meal!

They produced a Jesus WHO DID RETURN! Yes, already!

Mainstream Christianity is still waiting!!!

Mainstream Christianity looks for the 2nd coming of Jesus as THE CONFIRMING EVENT of their faith.

For Jehovah's Witnesses (who already concede this return was....um..invisible....) the confirming event can only remain as ARMADGEDDON!

What does this really mean, then?

Mainstream Christendom has hope and anticipation of Jesus' return to rapture them.

Jehovah's Witnesses have the hope that Jesus (who has already returned) will prove them right by killing everybody but them!

The "new generation" teaching muddies the water enough so that nobody has any idea how soon the confirming event may be.

Instead of ramping up expectation and instilling hope----this creates more and more dissonance and anxiety.

Cognitive Dissonance is carrying around TWO contradictory convictions simultaneously while creating the self-fiction that NO CONTRADCTION EXISTS!

To admit the "new generation teaching" has destroyed proof and postponed confirmation is to allow the collapse of the believer's world view and end the tension and conflict.

Toward what conclusion?

The sane person must leave.

The insane person must smile and express joy.

Active members in good standing are thus truly mad.

• Ding
    Ding

I wonder what percentage of JWs aren't even paying attention to the new generation teaching, either because they don't care or because they are in denial.

• sd-7
    sd-7

I think I can recall reading any 'adjustments' or 'refinements' with interest when I was in. I think I must've lost interest somewhere along the way or just didn't care anymore and was just trying to put up with the crap in my later years. I do remember hearing in my head that they changed 'this generation' because they realized there wasn't anything happening. I could often see that men were behind the curtain, but I preferred to ignore them.

But I remember on my JC, the elders were smiling as if this new teaching was the best thing since sliced bread. They had little to say in rebuttal when I said flat out, "At a certain point, you have to realize they're stretching the rules of logic here." No one else on the inside I've spoken to seemed even remotely aware that any change was about to happen or had happened. It is odd that I know so much more about the religion now than I ever did while on the inside. "Man! I'm still geekin' out about it!"

-sd-7

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Time was runninng out for the old 1914 generation, and very soon the JWs were going to have to admit their entire 1914 generation dogma was- gasp - FALSE!

They never admitted any dogma/doctrine was "false." They always say "the light is getting brighter" and that they are so "anxious" for God's Will to take place that they might be "eager" in the way they have said things. They have even gone so far as to say that anything that didn' happen doesn't make them a false prophet because they didn't say "Simon Says..." it in Jehovah's name.

Good, properly mind-controlled JW's love anything new from WTS because it means advancement toward their fake promises and some new book to pretend they read and then to "study." They love new doctrines because they can remember it for a few months or years and keep up in conversations at the hall without wondering what people are talking about- heck, they already got lost in conversations about the "wicked generation" so they were happy when in switched to the "anointed generation" and thrilled when they adjusted it to "the overlap generation" because they knew that it was so confusing to everyone in the room that they could just smile and say they love the "adjustment" or "new light."

• S EIGHT
    S EIGHT

I suggest the organisation is now at the point where it can promote pretty much anything and the followers will follow. Especially if there is a fringe benefit.

The current blood fraction teaching is totally acceptable to the average JW. Why wouldn't it be? Now they can push the limits and still be acceptable to Jehovah cos the GB says so. We can kinda have blood - cool.

I suspect there are a number of active JW's who's lives are not quite in harmony with God's requirements. Such ones must live in fear of God's great day. Pushing it further into the future allows time to pass and for sins to fade into the past.

I've mentioned things to active JW's in the past and have been put down as a looney only to be proven otherwise when the truth is revealed. The cancellation of the book study arrangement is a classic example which was revealed on this forum well in advance of the official announcement. The general response from the actives was "no way" "it's the most important meeting of the week" "it may be the only way we can meet in the great tribulation" but low and behold the BS was cancelled.

The same goes with the Generation teaching. It can be changed as much as you like and the followers of men will continue to follow men.

I think it's part of they way some people think and the way they are easily programmed. Look at Heavens Gate and Jonestown for example.

Whatever the WTS serves next, the followers will scoff.

I wonder if there is a personality profile associated with converts. Those born in dont really have a choice. But those who are of sound mind (and that's a point worth making) who are perhaps 30 to 40 years of age and decide to become a JW must have certain personality attributes that lend well to the seduction of the orgainsation. I think my mother certainly did but I'm not entirely sure she was of sound mind.

I may start a new thread on that very subject.

In summary, I agree, the generation teaching is no big deal. If anything, it's proof that the channel is blessed once more as a result of direct communication with Jehovah. That's all the avid JW student needs. On the contrary, the average half-hearted JW (which accounts for approx. 50% of congregations) doesn't care or doesn't even realise there has been a change.

S8

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

If any of them were worried that "time was running out for the 1914 generation", then they missed the "new light" in 1995..

All that this revision does is to re introduce a time limit to the "time of the end" albeit now put back a generation further , which they say is within the same generation

The impact of the latest new light is less because nobody takes the finer points seriously or bothers to learn more than they need to know..They do not care, much ..One never hears them talking about their faith ....

Truth is that so many dubs do not know half as much about their own faith as we do. At the meeting the other week the conductor candidly expressed that a certain point in the study was new to him, and a lot of the congo nodded in agreement. Sister Blues and I looked at each other in wonderment since it was something that we thought to be common knowledge.......???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit