Are most JW's window washers?

by SlipnSlide 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

We had about a dozen window washers in my hall. I did it for about 5 years and made good money doing it. Equally important was that I was a lot more flexible with my time, not only for field circus but for more important things like hanging out in strip bars with a MS I knew.

W

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hi there Mama love,

The JW's need to open a business for collecting " road kill"

that way they will be well trained for the new system in

cleanin' up all the worldy dead folk.

• mamalove
    mamalove

Wasblind, that might stumble fellow Witlesses because of the blood issue. They could become contaminated and accidentily get some of the blood from the roadkill. Do you think those would qualify as fractions?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

This irritates me slightly. When I lurked here, one of the surprising things about the apostate community is this thought that JWs are uneducated window washers. I'm a tad bit offended by this, well not really. Most JWs I know, are not in the cleaning business. The ones that are, make a pretty good living. The company I work for has quite a few JWs peppered throughout the system that I'm aware of. All of them are making a pretty ok living.

By the way, what's wrong with being a window washer? A living is a living, right? As a black dude from the city, I could suggest that all white dudes from the suburbs are cowardly and weak since thats what some blacks down here believe anyway. I'd find an audience that would agree with those sentiments, regardless if its not true.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    By the way, what's wrong with being a window washer? A living is a living, right?

Nothing wrong with it at all. I made more money in the 1980's working part time as a window washer than I do today as a full time network administrator. If I had the health I'd go back to it today.

W

• jam
    jam

The question is why are so many Brothers window washers. 1975, many became

window washers because We thought it was the last days, and you only work

with other JW,s.

• dozy
    dozy

In the UK we call them "window cleaners" and a lot (and I mean A LOT) of JWs do it. I remember going to one Kingdom Hall to give a public talk and virtually every car or van in the car park either had a ladder on it or had a ladder rack. There are a few reasons for this particular employment - family businesses , no qualifications required , no need to work with "worldly" people , flexible hours so that you can get a morning off for the ministry etc.

There always seems to be two kinds of JW window cleaner with very little overlap...

Type A is a grafter - often he has a few brothers (or occasionally sisters) working for him as his business has developed (usually type B who are too lazy to develop their own business). He gets up at 6 in the morning to do his business customers and will still be at it well into the early evening. You see him walking or driving briskly between calls and he makes good money - nice car , holidays abroad a couple of times a year , bought his own house. Not usually a pioneer - too busy making a good living and servicing his clients. A lot of these brothers have invested in their business and have special equipment such as deionised water spray systems etc.

Type B is often still in bed or hanging around the house till 11 , especially during those cold winter mornings and works (I'm using the term lightly) till about 4 o'clock , allowing for a leisurely lunch break and a few cups of coffee & the odd bacon roll from friendly customers. Works maybe a couple of days a week or so - never when it rains or "maybe looks a bit like it is going to rain." Sometimes a pioneer , sometimes not. Usually plays the system by claiming to work a total of 16 hours a week so that he can get lots of state benefits - rent paid , family credit , even free school meals for the kids. (When questioned by the authorities he claims that he has a bit of a bad back or a dodgy ankle as a result of falling off his ladder , so is unable to work any more hours). Always happy to lean against his ladder & talk all day with passerbys. A bit unreliable so sometimes loses his customers , though most are quite loyal as he is "a nice bloke".

• warmasasunned
    warmasasunned

its good money a friend of mine in england earns 40k a year whats that in dollars 80k...where theres muck theres money.

it may be a job many look down on and its certainly hard work ...but hey its a good crack.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hey Misery,

did I miss something ? when did this thread become a thread about race ?

nobody mentioned race. It's about jobs

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

The most popular jobs for the women in my congregations were definitely house-cleaning and CNA work. We also had a number of women who worked weekends as servers for catering companies. Very few did any of that full-time, of course. The more professionally-oriented women tended to go for bank teller positions or low-level jobs in the insurance industry, which is very big in my area.

For men, we had a lot of landscapers, contractors, and HVAC technicians. Manual labor was always the big thing. They would often brag that their work on quick-builds helped get them good employment opportunities.

At the same time, we did have quite a few people in white collar jobs or middle-management, especially among the elders. But for the rank-and-file, the jobs and pay were pretty crummy, comparatively speaking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit