Are most JW's window washers?

by SlipnSlide 68 Replies latest jw friends

• SlipnSlide
    SlipnSlide

I have read this on this site and know some that do this type of work. If most JW's are window washers, what other occupations are considered the type of jobs that a Witless would have.

• asilentone
    asilentone

carpet cleaning

• designs
    designs

You know the funny odd thing was that the Witnesses who became janitors and window washers in the early 70s were making $25.00 and hour which wasn't to shabby at the time, sadly 40 years later its still $25.00 per hour if they can get it.

• Think About It
    Think About It

When I first came in, I was surprised how much the JW's got into your personal business as to what kind of work you did, how many hours you worked and if you had to work at a time that conflicted with going to a meeting. I was also amazed by the high number of those that worked for themselves. Certainly nothing wrong with these types of occupations, but there were alot of window washers, cleaning services, contracting work, auto work & odd jobs among others. I had a great job when I came in and was amazed how many people tried to convince me to quit and do these other type jobs in order to have more time for "kingdom interests." Hell, I was still making most of the meetings and putting in more FS hours than most. They just never give up getting into your personal business.

Think About It

• chickpea
    chickpea

there is one guy, who was an elder when i left,
    but i have no clue if he still is, who has just
    fathered his 5th child, who has a "window
    washing business" that has branched into
    a variety of services including applying
    sun shield film, awning installation, small
    backhoe services, snow removal, and just
    recently, a new sideline as a restoration
    service ... new business name and logo
    in addtion to the first one...

he hires at least one other full time guy
    and has several seasonal employess...
    he has a lot of equipment, inclu a brand
    new big ass truck....

of course, he could be up to his neck
    in loans, banking on the notion the
    big A will come before he has to pay up.....

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

i did all sorts of cleaning and about 1/2 the workers in my hall did too

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

i did all sorts of cleaning and about 1/2 the workers in my hall did too

• jam
    jam

breakdown on janitorial services; Early 70,s I begain my service. Started out with the wife myself.

Within three months added two sisters( we specialize in housecleaning including windows.)

Believe it or not we did so well because we were JW,s. Remerber you are working in

people homes, they trust us. This was in the early 70,s, we charge $45.00-$55.00 A hr.0R PER HOME.

Three on A job, my wife would take one crew and I would take another one for the

day. We paid our people $5.00 A hr. within A year 10 houses A day.ONE

brother ( floors, windows etc.) and two sisters per crew. Very good money for the 70,s.

• mamalove
    mamalove

My ex H is one. He did make pretty good money and to my knowledge still does alright. Let's see, there are several businesses set up by brothers in my area that are common.

UIG Insurance is a big insurance company owned or partially owned by JW's and most of the workforce was or is JW's at any given time. Some interesting drama and excess regarding that group. Oh, the boondagle's they would go on! This insurance company targeted senior citizens and sold them insurance in case they went to nursing homes.

Carpet cleaning, I think the company was the Rug Doctor, but I cannot remember for sure.

Colors On Parade, a franchise that several brothers bought into to paint damaged cars on dealer lots. They had certain areas they bought into and would service the various dealerships. The PO from my old KH actually lost some accounts for grossly overcharging and gouging the dealerships. Some hanky panky also occured during out of state training for these franchises and a MS was removed.

Construction companies.

Alot of the other people I knew were assembly line workers, electricians, housekeepers, receptionists. Some of the more schmoozy types were into sales of software or security systems, etc.

• mamalove
    mamalove

Oh yay, snow removal and lawn cutting, power washing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit