Do JW's read other books?

by InterestedOne 14 Replies latest jw friends

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

When I ask my JW friend if she has read various classic books, she says, "I don't like to read." However, she of course reads all the WT stuff. I don't know too many JW's, but the ones I have seen in the meetings seem mostly uneducated and, even when speaking from the platform, seem almost illiterate - that is, unable to pronounce certain words even in the WT literature. Does the Society discourage general reading (like novels, classics, etc.), or could it just be my friend's personal preference and I happen to be in an uneducated KH?

• garyneal
    garyneal

My wife was an avid reader when I met her. She could read books faster than I can.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Some jws do read other books but most don't talk about it with other jws. Being an avid reader of books not from the bOrg is seen as frivious.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    itsacult

lol, nice.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

There is some scripture in proverbs about "not being burdened down by many books" they use this to point out the world has many books that can become a distraction.

Nevermind they release a new book every year.

-Sab

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I am a very avid reader and always have been. My family has expressed disapproval of some of my reading choices. I love history and politics.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I was a born-in and I was encouraged to read from the time I was a baby. I was an avid reader as a kid and although I don't read as much as I did in my school days, I read alot as a JW.

I think it depends on the individual and maybe even the elder body of the congregation the person is in.

My Dad was a convert but he loved reading the broadsheet newspapers and Nat Geographic. I read NG as a kid and it educated me on the natural world.

I remember one JW (a newly converted guy) who, when asked by my dad if he read books, said he only read JW books. I think he was trying to come off as being spiritual, but instead he sounded like an ignoramous (which he was, lol).

• JeffT
    JeffT

My wife and I have both been avid readers all our lives. We still were as dubs. Maybe that's one of the reasons were not dubs anymore.

• inbetween
    inbetween

it depends, mayn i know read other books, from science to fantasy, others again reply, they have no time, because they are soo busy with jehovahs work (and it gives their self confidence a real boost, when they say it)

• VIII
    VIII

Not that I know of. Which, as pointed out, keeps them from learning about other stuff.

I have tried to get my mom to read other books; she won't. Says she doesn't have time.

I loved to read as a kid and would go to the library on my bike and get Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and every other series of books I could. I would check them out and hide them under my bed. I cleaned my room and mom never looked so I was safe. I would read at night by flashlight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit