Do JW's read other books?

by InterestedOne 14 Replies latest jw friends

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

It sounds like it varies. I was just wondering b/c I would think general reading would broaden a person's perspective enough to pick up on the WT style of writing. Even if people are readers, I guess they can still find ways of rationalizing the WT to themselves. My friend did read 1984 a long time ago, way before studying with JW's, and somehow she even refers to it to back up the WT stuff, not the other way around. I suggested she read it again, but now she "doesn't like to read." I figured the reference to 1984 might have been used during her indoctrination to say, "see, look how bad the world is." I have noticed my "teacher" tries to find things in my life to pull from to support the WT worldview.

• highdose
    highdose

i used to read alot of non JW books, but no one else i knew did and it wasn't well thought of. Untill i left i never knew the pleasure of being able to have a deep "book talk" with a similar minded person.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

Hmm how much do you wanna bet that the ones on this site are/were more of the readers? Reading does expand the mind and the thoughts.

Seb that scripture you speak of is now one of my fav, and helped me to break free. I was allways taught that scripture (just vrs 12) as a tool to make me stop reading so much worldly stuff. What a surprise it was to read it with a free mind....how did I not see this stuff sooner????? ECC 12:12 But to get the full contect read VRS 9 -14. You will never think of the book company the same again!

Ecclesiastes 12:9-14 (New International Version, ©2010)

The Conclusion of the Matter

9 Not only was the Teacher wise, but he also imparted knowledge to the people. He pondered and searched out and set in order many proverbs. 10 The Teacher searched to find just the right words, and what he wrote was upright and true.

11 The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails—given by one shepherd. [a]

12 Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them. Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.

13 Now all has been heard;
    here is the conclusion of the matter:
    Fear God and keep his commandments,
    for this is the duty of all mankind.
    14 For God will bring every deed into judgment,
    including every hidden thing,
    whether it is good or evil.

• badseed
    badseed

I love to read, one thing is for sure, I was not an avid reader of their stuff. I'd start reading a watchtower or awake and couldn't finish it. I got bored reading their literature, really bored. I tried so many times to try and read one of their books cover to cover, but was never able to do it.

I really wanted that four year degree..

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

I am an avid reader. I find that most of the JW's I know do not like to read. My sister just asked me this the other day. She says she cant understand why I like to read. My mother frowned on my reading as a teenager. Its the strangest thing too, my friends that are fading or have faded are also avid readers also.

Hmmm...I'm just saying

Grewup

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit