POLL: Can you turn your mind off?

by Lady Lee 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OK Ladies You know how this goes. You ask your man, "What are you thinking about?" and he says, "Nothing."

Now I have had more than one man tell me this. I don't get this answer with women

Is this a guy thing?

Can you really turn off your mind and there is nothign going on?

Or maybe you don't want to admit wnat was going on?

Or maybe you were so involved you really don't remember?

My mind is always busy thinking about something. It might not always be important but there is something going on in there. And if asked, "What are you thinking?" I might say: "Nothing important". or I might say "I don't want to share". But there is always something and I always know what it is if someone were to ask me.

So is it a guy thing? Do women experience this too? Or am I the odd duck here?

• Ding
    Ding

My grandmother claimed she could do this.

I've never been able to.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Nap Turkey Sure you can do this... it's like your brain goes to screensaver.

• Darth plaugeis
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I need to know if you are male or female

Interesting Ding I have never heard of a woamn doing it

Darth somehow I knew you could do it -- hey wait a minute - even screensaver is something

• Satanus
    Satanus

Sometimes. The result is like resetting your computer to default.

S

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Can you really turn off your mind and there is nothign going on?

Or maybe you don't want to admit wnat was going on?

Women's intuition is rarely wrong. I'm single, so I can't speak from the relationship perspective, but I work with a bunch of women and its close enough. Some days you have to tune them out. If I lived with one of them, I'd have to form some kind of mental resistance. I love women, believe me I really do. Somedays though I don't want to hear that stuff, and when you're not used to dealing with women's emotions and their need to communicate incessantly, you're tempted to tell them to STFU. All day long, their husband or boyfriend didn't do this, or their kids this or that, or the resteraunt messed up their order, or its the teacher's fault, blah blah blah......so as a man, one has to develope a defense mechanism. Kind of like a mental force field. Every now and then they get mad at me here at work because I tune them out. I wouldn't call it ignoring them as much as its filtering what they have to say. Me personally, my brain is always dealing with something. I'm struggling with anxiety because I can't stop thinking about things. My mind just keeps racing, and I believe plenty of guys are the same way.

• Twitch
    Twitch

No, I can't turn it off, even if I'm doing something, I'm always thinking of something, either things relevant to the task or something completely unrelated. I multitask constantly and though I can concentrate and focus, most things don't require a lot of thought so my mind wanders to other things. I can keep track of multiple things which is why I'm suited to my job where there's usually a few things going on at a time and can hold a conversation while doing something. I don't recall ever having nothing on my mind and don't have issue expressing what is if asked. I'm told that this is uncommon. Eh, perhaps, I don't know. If I have said "nothing" then it's because I don't want to talk about it.

Mediation would help with clearing the mind, from those I've talked with about it, but it's not a problem for me as long as I get some "downtime" to recharge.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

....................... ...OUTLAW

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Twitch I knew there was a reason I liked you when we met. Like minds

mle I understand tuning out. I think we all do that sometimes out of sheer necessity. Anxiety? INteresting. That might have applied to me at one time but not now.

Satanus default isn't "off" though. "Sleep mode" perhaps?

These computer analogies aren't working for me. If I am asleep I still dream even if I don't remember them. Although there are times when we sleep that we aren't dreaming. Screensavers are images. You can have thoughts about images. And the computer is still actively working to put up the images.

OK if we are going to use a computer as an example then it would have to be no active screensaver and no input. I tis on but not doing anything. But dang that little cursor keeps flashing at me. lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit