Is Another 1975 Possible?

by God_Delusion 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• FifthOfNovember
    FifthOfNovember

I think they would have wised up by now. And by that I mean, never being too specific and never committing to anything ("we never said that exactly").

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I think Nathan makes a Good Point..

Jehovah`s Witness`s are ready to be Suckered again..

"You look like a Smart Guy"..

"How would you like to live Forever?"..

..................... ...OUTLAW

• greendawn
    greendawn

They have falsely cried out wolf too many times, too many false alarms, and by now the rank and file are unlikely to get excited about a new big alarm the big picture is that the watchtower considers the so called end to be close at hand or just round the corner for 130 years since 1880. The psychological manipulation involved has been obvious since long ago, the imminent end is always a major selling point for the JWs.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

i dont think they will...

the new generation change (funny how its changed so many times that we have to call the latest the 'new' one!)

has set them up for the long haul.

i think the focus will be on keeping the smaller % 'loyal' ones and lose the slackers. The focus will be more and more on not serving to a date and those that leave will be roasted as date servers.

They'll tighten up, downsize and regroup but i cant see them being stupid enough to do a freddy, there is no freddy type anymore.

hope i'm wrong but!

oz

• cheerios
    cheerios

@nathan: figs are important to them you know ... remember andre, he doesnt give any 'figs' ...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

2014 is just a psychological milepost- no real reason to choose such a date. Plus it's too close.
    2034, however- it's perfect. They have had several articles over the last decade on how the last days would be like the days of Noah. They are all set to say that Jehovah determined 120 years of those last days and may be doing the same.

As they lose the young JW's, I could see the WTS do a 1975 repeat for 2014. I mean, they would feel it was for their own good. They would leave plenty of room for weasling out of it afterward, but they would hope to retain more young JW's than they would have without such a date.

• designs
    designs

OTWO- scary and sad isn't it.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It's possible the Watchtower leadership could decide to latch onto 2034 at some point in the coming years. But in general I think they are on a path toward a more timid approach to the outside world and less demanding of the followership that would tend to suggest setting another date is unlikely. If things are ticking over, enough money is coming in to pay for the lifestyles of those at the top, and membership is still showing modest increases year to year, there may be little pressure to rock the boat by coming up with anything much new, including a new endtime date. If however, either dramatic world events, or disruption arises within the organization itself, I think that could be what might trigger a new specific prediction about the endtime calendar. But I think we should remember that as well as the circumstances being right for a new date to be set, there also needs to be an instigator at the top, another Fred Franz, or Rutherford or Russell would need to step forward. As the organization currently works it is perhaps more difficult than ever before for someone with either the imagination or leadership to emerge.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

One can never assume what the GB or what I like to call them the Gods of Brooklyn will do for much of the professed doctrines

that come out of this organization are directly associated to the WTS own inherent business structure as a publishing house.

• sir82
    sir82

No.

They are incredibly stupid, but they are not monumentally stupid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit