Is Another 1975 Possible?

by God_Delusion 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Howdy,

Do you think the Society has a planned campaign where they will state that Armageddon will be upon us within the next 10 years and actually state that Armageddon will definitely hit by 2020?

We all know that they have been drumming into us that "the end is just around the corner", but can you see them pulling another 1975 stunt in order to bring in additional members?

To be honest, if the world's media access wasn't as easy to access as it is today, I could believe that they would be capable of attempting another marketing campaign. But with the internet already stopping thousands of potential one's progressing on to baptism, and also making active Jehovah's Witnesses leave (and become apostates, like me), I can't see them doing it.

If they did, it would be the end of the Society as we know it. Now I know a lot of you will quote 1975 and tell me that they are still around even after that fiasco, but I can tell you that if the internet existed in the form it does today, back in 1975, there would be no WTS.

Here's to begging that they actually go ahead and do it!

Regards,
    Carlos

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

I can't see it. Although they love to look for signs that aren't there, and they have thoroughly dissected the bible, I think they are just so scared of another thing returning to bite them in the arse. Even if they found some previously unseen interpretation of scripture, and were thoroughly convinced of it themselves, I just doubt they'd be so stupid.

The new generation interpretation shows just what a rudderless ship the WT$ really is. It's a hash-up by committee. In the old days, people like Rutherford and franz came up with the loopy ideas, and everybody else just nodded and said 'yes, boss'.

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

but I can tell you that if the internet existed in the form it does today, back in 1975, there would be no WTS

WTBS would probably be smaller and would look different, but it is made from 60% of people, who just love this way of life.

Even if GB, Brooklyn HQ, COs and DOs would disapeare one day, 60% of rank and file would choose new leader and continue this way of life.

And to your question - I think the GB is not stupid enough to repeat the same mistake so soon.

Albert

• designs
    designs

They will Opt for the solution the Bible Students chose- Armageddon has and is occuring ( in other words Armageddon became synonymous with the Last Days and can go on indefinitely).

• Ding
    Ding

If they do pick another date, they'll give themselves wiggle room.

In that event, we need to pin JWs down to what exactly they are claiming.

In other words, put up or shut up.

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

no, they have repostioned themselves quite nice from being an end of the world cult.

witnesses pride themselves more on being separate from the wicked world, although

most activities that were frowned on in my teenage years are pretty much accepted now.

most witnesses have many non-witness friends and a large percentage go on to college

to pursue a career. college is basically a necessity today. No, the end of the world

will continue to be part of their litany, but not the focal point.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I'm still laughin' about what they said on page 239 in the Reasoning book where they state:

" The "generation" that was alive at the beginning of the fullfillment of the sign in 1914 is now well along in years. The time remaining must be very short. World conditions give every indication that this is the case."

mind you now they have quotation marks specifically around the word generation to show this particular group not an overlapin'

The Bible does not allow for a repositioning of a prophecy. and that most definitley was a prophecy cause they said it WILL occur before the ones who saw the beginning pass away.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Anything is possible with this organization , particularly so when they see their membership dropping.

In 1975, as publications and public talks continued to build expectations that Armageddon would take place that year, Governing Body member Frederick Franz announced at a Witness convention in Toronto that he was "looking forward confidently" to what the autumn would bring; at another Toronto convention the following year, he announced that Armageddon had not occurred because Witnesses had been expecting it. Author James Penton claimed Franz meant that because Jesus had stated that no one would know the "day or the hour" of his return, the Witnesses should not have believed they could know that it would occur in 1975. Penton commented: "Franz placed the blame for the fiasco on the entire Witness community."[50][51]

Predictions (by date of publication) include:

* 1877: Christ's kingdom would hold full sway over the earth in 1914; the Jews, as a people, would be restored to God's favour; the "saints" would be carried to heaven.[52]
    * 1891: 1914 would be "the farthest limit of the rule of imperfect men."[53]
    * 1904: "World-wide anarchy" would follow the end of the Gentile Times in 1914.[54]
    * 1916: World War I would terminate in Armageddon and the rapture of the "saints".[55]
    * 1917: In 1918, Christendom would go down as a system to oblivion and be succeeded by revolutionary governments. God would "destroy the churches wholesale and the church members by the millions." Church members would "perish by the sword of war, revolution and anarchy". The dead would lie unburied. In 1920 all earthly governments would disappear, with worldwide anarchy prevailing.[56]
    * 1920: Messiah's kingdom would be established in 1925 and bring worldwide peace. God would begin restoring the earth. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and other faithful patriarchs would be resurrected to perfect human life and be made princes and rulers, the visible representatives of the New Order on earth. Those who showed themselves obedient to God would never die.[57]
    * 1922: The antitypical "jubilee" that would mark God's intervention in earthly affairs in 1925 would take place in "probably the fall" of that year.[58] The chronology was described as "correct beyond a doubt",[44] "absolutely and unqualifiedly correct",[45] bearing "the stamp of approval of Almighty God"[45] and "too sublime to be the result of chance or of human invention".[45]
    * 1924: God's restoration of the Earth would begin "shortly after" October 1, 1925. Jerusalem would be made the world's capital. Resurrected "princes" such as Abel, Noah, Moses and John the Baptist would give instructions to their subjects around the world by radio, and aeroplanes would transport people to and from Jerusalem from all parts of the globe in just "a few hours".[59]
    * 1938: In 1938, Armaggedon was too close for marriage or child bearing.[60]
    * 1941: There were only "months" remaining until Armageddon.[61]
    * 1942: Armageddon was "immediately before us."[62]
    * 1966: It would be 6000 years since man's creation in the fall of 1975 and it would be "appropriate" for Christ's thousand-year reign to begin at that time.[63] Time was "running out, no question about that."[64] The "immediate future" was "certain to be filled with climactic events ... within a few years at most", the final parts of Bible prophecy relating to the "last days" would undergo fulfillment as Christ's reign began.
    * 1968: No one could say "with certainty" that the battle of Armageddon would begin in 1975, but time was "running out rapidly" with "earthshaking events" soon to take place.[65] In March 1968 there was a "short period of time left", with "only about ninety months left before 6000 years of man's existence on earth is completed".[66]
    * 1969: Human existence would not last long enough for young people to grow old; the world system would end "in a few years". Young Witnesses were told not to bother pursuing tertiary education for this reason.[67]
    * 1974: There was just a "short time remaining before the wicked world's end" and Witnesses were commended for selling their homes and property to "finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service".[68]
    * 1984: There were "many indications" that "the end" was closer than the end of the 20th century

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think it is almost for certain that they will come up with a new date within the next 20 years or so.

I believe there is something in the psyche of apocalyptic millennialists that CRAVES a date (but not a fig <-- a pun! get it?).

The ideal date has to be within the imaginative reach of the target audience, so that most of them can visualizr themselves making the goal, yet it should also be far enough away that each peon is highly motivated to assure his salvation by working extra, EXTRA hard and making personal sacrifices that any normal person would consider either stupid or insane.

Yes, they will find a new date, and then they will deny it after it passes.

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

If they were to find a new date, there are many among them who will swallow it hook, line, and sinker, and then when it does not come about on that date, will continue to follow them blindly, still anticipating that Armageddon will occur any day. My mother and sister are constantly expecting the current year to not end before Armageddon comes and have been that way for years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit