Why did the WTBS endorse 1975?

by jay88 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Being that the number 7 was deemed divinely sacred throughout biblical times, ( the 7 days of creation ) for example the prophet Daniel's story of

Jerusalem being captivated into Babylon for 70 years, as one example of a obvious embellished story.

Whenever an individual wants to outwardly perceive himself directly attached to the divine spiritual power of the gods,

embellished stories appear. The WTS have done this as well continually since its earliest inception.

For example the calculation created by the WTS to derive at 1914, the 7 x biblical times equation stemming from 607 BC.

This image making creates followers who then can be exploited for labour and money.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Is there ever a time there is not an active thread on this board that refers to 1975?

I've posted this exerpt recently, but will do so again. This is from the speech made by Freddie Franz to a crowd of 20,000 believers, complete with word whiskers and caps where he raised his voice, made in February, 1975 when he talks about the time immediately after Adam's 6,000th birthday:

"And we should not jump to, ah, wrong decisions on that account and say, well, the time after September 5, 1975 is indefinitely long and so it will allow for me, ah, to realise my, ah, human aspirations. Getting married, raising a family and kids or, ah, ah, going to college for a few years and learning engineering and signing a signed, ah, petition as an engineer, civil engineer or electrical engineer or some other prominent, ah, fine paying job. NO! The time does not allow for that, dear friends! The time is SHORT! As the apostle Paul says in 1 Corinthians, ah, chapter 7, ah, and verse 29. The time left is REDUCED!"

If you listen to the entire speech, which runs 1h20m, you cannot help but come away with the impression that Freddie actually believed that 1975 was going to mark the beginning of the time of the end. He was as clearly deluded as, I think, are his GB successors.

The entire speech is available here for download: http://www.archive.org/details/WhatIsTheSignficanceOf1975

• MarcusScriptus
    MarcusScriptus

It is far from likely that it was a purposeful lie because of the guarded language used in presenting what may be termed the “last of the great dates” set by the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

It was already a significant teaching that the end of the world had to arrive before the generation of 1914 passed away. Their self-identity of the restoration of true religion at the end of the world depended on it (and remember, that is the reason the Witnesses came about, not because the world needed true religion but because of their belief that at the world’s endtrue religion would be restored), and a little known “lost 100 years” in Adventism was still in the minds of the oldies like Franz that allowed them to reuse the old 1874 date.

1874 and the Lost 100 Years

Charles Taze Russell had emphasized the 1874 date as Christ’s invisible return based on an old Adventism belief that 6,000 years of humankind’s history (and the 6th creative day) came to an end in the autumn of that year. While the original 1874 date had others believing Christ would return visibly, Russell merely advanced the idea that parousia in Matthew 24 carried only an invisible presence as a meaning, which of course is not the exclusive meaning of the word.

Later when conservative Fundamentalist Bible theology suggested that Adventist’s dates were off by 100 years plus 1 (because of there not being a “zero” year between 1 A.D. and 1 B.C. that Adventists had trouble dealing with), Franz as well as others like Armstrong of the Worldwide Church of God did the simple math of adding 101 years to the 1874 date. Guess what? That lead to the 1975 date. (Armstrong himself published works pointing to 1975 as the date for the world's end.)

Did the Witnesses believe it was a lie? Of course not. It was basic Adventist time formula on which their religion had been literally founded. This was a means to prove Russell a true prophet (because if it turned out to be 1975, then it was only a slight calculation error for Russell) as well as the rest of the Governing Body (since they really believed that the Adventism restoration stories applied to themselves).

But to make sure that in case things did not turn out right (they had printed goofs before), they invented a double-speak for 1975. They used peculiar terms that would be easy to back out of such as how the end of these 6,000 years would be an “appropriate time” for God to bring Armageddon.

The Lost Connection: Public Discourses

While never saying blatantly in print that the date was a definitive one, the Governing Body fostered the excitement through the outlines of talks given at assemblies and conventions and directly through traveling overseers to congregations. The year 1975 was highlighted again and again in books and mags without anything precisely being printed, while allowing the rank and file to make the connection with what they heard from the platform.

Some new ones today are convinced that the Governing Body meant nothing by highlighting the year 1975. Others want to make it sound like unfaithful ones pushed ahead of the Faithful Slave Class by claiming they invented the end of the world connection on their own. But the truth of the matter is that the Governing Body wouldn’t be publishing things for the Witnesses to study that has no meaning. Why highlight 1975 in print but say nothing directly about it? Strange, no? Where would the rank and file have got the other information about the end of the world connection to 1975, and for all of them to have that same information that it meant the end of the world? Again it was those public discourses and what visiting overseers were given to push by word of mouth from the GB.

By allowing overseers to claim the “end of the world” connection with 1975 and then by printing so much with the literal date, the average Witness (for whom setting their own dates and making up doctrines or claims is strictly forbidden) did exactly as they were told: they put faith in and preached the coming end in 1975. If this was independent thinking there would have been other things connected to the date. Interestingly there is only one thing, the end of the world. For all "unfaithful" to "independently" come up with the exact same mistake without being told what to believe is highly unlikely, especially in an organization that is run like the Jehovah's Witnesses.

As today, Witnesses back them were much too timid to invent such a scenario and independently come up with a date like 1975 and what it could mean. For them to do so on such a large scale for almost a decade without the Governing Body ever calling any of them to task for it shows it was planned and totally believed in from the top all the way down (who ever heard of anyone being disfellowshipped for preaching that the end was going to come in 1975?—which would have been done if it was considered to be a non-Witness teaching by the Governing Body back then).

Only After 1975 Did the Lying Begin

It was only as they neared the end of 1975 did a few articles prepare people for a “just-in-case” situation. And then, without warning, there was nothing about 1975…until the mid 1980s when the cry against the Governing Body grew so loud (and people had to be disfellowshipped to basically keep others from hearing them) that the GB tried to pass the buck, claiming that "others" ran with a ball they hadn’t pitched.

The excuse didn’t fly this time, and other higher ups and respected ones like elders and overseers called the Governing Body to task. They eventually folded under the pressure and weakly allowed it to be printed that they were including themselves when claiming that people took the 1975 date further than they should have.

The following years of rewriting the event to the point that it is very hard to find the1975 outlines and articles (even banning cassette recordings of talks made at the conventions that were being passed around by the brothers in the 1980s—among which were recordings of the 1975 convention talks) was all done to cover the mistake. Allowing others to believe that “unfaithful ones carried it too far” and that “the JWs never said directly that the end was coming in 1975”—that is the real lie!

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Allowing others to believe that “unfaithful ones carried it too far” and that “the JWs never said directly that the end was coming in 1975”—that is the real lie!

And it worked like a charm.

Flying sucess.

-Sab

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

When I hear the 1975-denyers I am incredulous. I was a 23 year old WT bible student in 1975. The atmosphere of anticipation during the big summer assembly I attended in that year can only be described as electric. In the minds of the people there the Apocalypse was going to happen very, very soon and they were nervous and excited. There were, it is true, words of caution being spoken, but they were couched in terms of things maybe taking a little bit longer to play out than most of the rank and file might have come to believe. When in 1976 my questions drew angry rebuffs from my "teachers" I pulled the plug on the WTBTS. What happened, and didn't happen, in 1975 helped open my eyes.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I somehow think the WTS, namely F Franz, started to realise they were getting far and away from the supposed generation of 1914 so a newly established set

of propaganda was necessary to keep the devoted followers they had obtained. Could he accurately date backwards to Adams existence to derive at man's existence

here on earth to September 1975, of course not. It was all religiously devised BULLSHIT to keep the support of the organization on going $$$.

Now if you were to question back then this calculation , you were quick to be expelled by this corporate corruption owned by god himself.

Religion is one of the oldest means where men can attain personal power and wealth

• Ding
    Ding

Nickolas,

My experience was similar.

JWs tried diligently to convince me that 1975 was a critical date.

Suddenly, they were denying that it meant anything at all.

I thought, "Wait a minute. I didn't come up with the 1975 date -- YOU did. If it was nothing, why did you bring it up at my door in the first place?"

No answer.

Never mind.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

FW Franz was a little less than truthful in his Feb 10, 1975 public talk - when he quoted what the WTS 1966 book Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God said about 1975. He told the religious editor of a local newspaper that this publication gave 1975 as the 6000th annivarsary of human creation - nothing more, nothing less. In fact, though, this book went a little further than that, and left hanging there the idea that 1975 would see the end. (Certainly, that is the conclusion arrived at by everyone I knew who read it). Young Frederick carefully edited that fact from the editor!

His Feb 10, 1975 speech was somewhat of a back-pedal about the date:

- He had earlier given a 1975 pep-talk in mid 1974. Those that had heard both these speeches about WT chronology were unanimous that in his February 1975 talk, he was saying the opposite of what he had said six months before. (Of course, he still concluded with the standard JW fare "the time is short, out there and at 'em, steer clear of college etc, etc, etc - what the WTS were saying before, during, and after 1975; and on forever for that matter!)

As MarcusScriptus notes, the spoken word (Circuit Overseers talks, Circuit and District Assemblies) well and truly fanned the flames of what had already been written. Do any of you remember the talk given by the District Overseer in late 1974, in which he outright said to the audience "and we still stand by our date of 1975" - to which everybody loudly applauded.

It worked, too! In the years since, I have heard many JWs and ex-JWs claim that they never believed 1975 would be the year of Armegeddon. However, during those years leading up to it , I never heard anyoneexpress any doubts at all about 1975.

All this being said, the bloody deluded fool probably did believe his own propaganda about 1975. Certainly, the other members of the GB seem to have swallowed it (including Raymond Franz, by his own admission in COC).

My thoughts and memories of what happened!

Bill.

(PS: I began reading their literature in 1966, began a "bible study" with them in 1969, and was baptised in 1972. all the JWs I knew could not stop talking about 1975).

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Was the 1974 pep talk recorded?

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I am not aware of any recording having been made of his mid-1974 speech. Perhaps others may know more about this?

Bill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit