What is the "Official" WT stand on Facebook?

by monkeyman 16 Replies latest jw friends

• baltar447
    baltar447

There is at least one CO that's I've heard of come down HARD on Facebook. He mentioned that "If an elder, MS or Pioneer has a Facebook page, that may call into question whether or not they are exemplary". I shit you not.

• pirata
    pirata

This was brought up in the outline for the CO's visit with M.S. and Elders. The point was made that we discourage facebook, but cannot say not to use it.

• undercover
    undercover

Whatever they're saying... it ain't working.

I, despite my insistence that I would never bow down to that false god of social networking, did actually give in and did do obeisence by signing up. And I've had a few JWs find me and 'friend' me. And then looking at their friend lists, I see tons and tons of dubs are all over FB, yakking it up about assemblies and CO visits and other zombiefying dub shit. Even elders and pioneers are on there.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

*pokes Undercover*

• ziddina
    ziddina

I vaguely recall someone posting about talks at the Circuit Assemblies or District Assemblies that discourage or 'demonize' online social networking...

If the Watchtower Gov.Bod are following past patterns - and they usually do - they'll pull a "1975" on the Rank&File...

Spout furiously about it from the platform, but never actually put it into print...

Does two things...

Nothing in print - increases plausible deniability... Also prevents those nasty "apostates" from using such comments against them... And keeps 'interested' people who are reading the literature or attending local meetings, from finding out what sort of extreme nutso cult is trying to lure them in...

[How many "worldly/interested" people do you know, who would be willing to give up their on-line social network based on the word of a few old farts in Brooklyn... ]

Only mentioned in verbal admonishments at Circuit and District assemblies - and since there's that new "information" stating that JWs shouldn't post recordings of assembly talks online...

This also separates those who DID attend the assemblies from those who skipped them and went shopping, fishing, skiing, surfboarding, whatever - which might help the congregation elders distinguish the 'faders' from the 'faithful followers'...

Also gives those who DID attend, that special feeling of being, well, "special"... Since they got the "special" information at the assemblies by being "faithful" Witnesses, they get that "special" feeling of being morally and spiritually "superior"...

Bleah...

Zid

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, while there is no "official"

It is still pretty obvious that they are no fans of internet chat

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

The first thing the elders asked me when I said I had doubts was "do you have a facebook".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit