What is the "Official" WT stand on Facebook?

by monkeyman 16 Replies latest jw friends

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

Does anyone know the official stand on Facebook? Is it in print? If so, where?

Is it

1. Not reccommended

2. Conscience matter

3. Can you lose privilidges

4. DF

And by the way........why Facebook? Why not Twitter, AIM, Email, Text or any other form of Internet communication?

• AnonJW
    AnonJW

Conscience, so far the th WT has warned of the dangers!

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

The organization has come out strong against social networking sites, for a Witness to have to be told specifically websites by name shows how much those under the influence have to have every aspect of theirs lives decided for them.

• sabastious
    sabastious

It's controlled by satan (as is all entertainment).

So, avoid it all costs, and if you don't then you are obviously "spiritually weak."

-Sab

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Although it's been mentioned in individual talks, social networking has only been directly addressed in a few publications:

http://www.watchtower.org/e/200703/article_02.htm -- "As with any mode of communication, online social networks can have legitimate uses as well as potential abuses. ... Rather than simply condemn the Internet, parents would do well to familiarize themselves with the sites that their children frequent."

http://www.watchtower.org/e/200810/article_02.htm -- "'A social networking site is like an online party,' says a girl named Joanna. 'Some very scary people can show up.' The personal information posted on social networks can be exploited by unscrupulous youths and adults. Thus, Internet safety expert Parry Aftab calls such sites 'one stop shopping for sexual predators.' ... Thus, 'What in the World Are Your Kids Doing Online?' asks a valid question: 'How do you make it clear that children need to develop empathy and compassion when the electronic world allows them to meet and discard people at the drop of a hat?'"

http://www.watchtower.org/e/200703/article_01.htm -- "[M]any youths are wandering alone in the online neighborhood, and some are creating social networks with people whom you—and even your child—would never invite into the home."

So it's not outright condemned, but it's also strongly discouraged. It's also clear that they worry more about young ones using social networking sites than adults.

I do wonder how long they can go without establishing an official presence on major social networking websites. They can't miss that PR opportunity, but at the same time, they also can't be seen as approving or endorsing their use for members. I do know there's some type of YouTube account now, though, so maybe they're moving in that direction.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Rather than simply condemn the Internet, parents would do well to familiarize themselves with the sites that their children frequent.

Actually good advice.

I'M SHOCKED!

-Sab

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

Oh My god. I meet up with a group on line. We all meet up at Starbucks with our guns!

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

The WT is going to be a little gentle. What about Our Kingdom Ministry or Letters to BOE? The are nicely brutal. Any word?

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

^ Same general deal as far as I can tell, monkeyman. I haven't found anything in the KM or other publications saying anything different than the WT. Maybe someone else has, but I've looked several times, including in recent publications, and it's just that same generic "be careful" message.

People often say on ex-JW boards that Facebook is "banned," but that just doesn't appear to be the case. Discouraged for children? Yes. Urged to use caution for adults? Yes. Banned for anyone? Nope. Even a lot of elders have accounts that I've found.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Four years ago, the bethel speaker known as John Williams made the explicit statement at Special Assembly Day: "Myspace is not a place for Christians."

I was there. This is what he said. Lots of my friends went home immediately and deleted their accounts. I personally kept mine.

-MF31-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit