by leavingwt 237 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

"Agree to disagree."

BTS

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Dearest Zid,

The one about the Devil is more commonly used these days, AFAIK. Just sayin'. Here's a link to a wiki about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_is_in_the_details

When I made reference to that saying, I was trying to make the point that when people constantly pick, pick, pick at something, they are usually looking for the negative, especially here. Hence the Devil being in the details. When I mentioned the Divine being in the big picture, I meant that it's good to stand back and look at how everything works together (or doesn't)...

Wishing you well..

V665V665

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I am often considered an angry atheist here. Partly because it is easy ad hominem to hide behind, and partly because 'thinking out-loud' on-line often comes across as 'angry'?

I echo the 'frustration' though, that some feel at times. But honestly, I could not care less if strangers I have never met wish to waste their lives day-dreaming about invisible friends who will 'save' them. I know it won't happen. They will just have wasted the only life they have to pursue foolishness - but it doesn't make me 'angry'. Yes, frustration is a far better word for it.....

Jeff

• james_woods
    james_woods

VampireDCLXV said it better than I did - this is the main reason I use the term "agnostic" or "unbeliever" rather than "athiest" - I don't want to be associated with the "Angry Atheist" evangalizers.

I find them all 'harmful' to those who submit life and mind to belief in fantasy while bypassing reality.

Maybe - maybe not. But the point to me is this: Why should atheists take it upon themselves to disabuse believers of their faith? I make an exception if the believers are actually putting other people in danger or keeping them in captivity - but most religions do not do this.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Removed for violation of Rule #11 of posting guidelines!

• bohm
    bohm

Im an atheist who are angry at the angry atheists for making other think im angry!!!

james, I dont have a mission to convert christians. But i think there are good reasons why i have not accepted any version of the christian God, and I think there is some value in putting those arguments out there, especially in the context of the more anti-science segments of religion or religions which split families apart. But i will easily grant you they are the vast minority.

Open discussion on controversial issues has value of its own. Whats the point of free speech if we dont use it?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

*And Bohm too.

BTS

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    caveat, many atheists, like LeavingWT are not like this at all.

He doesn't appear to be but behind the polite persona there is a passive aggressiveness below the surface.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

You are fortunate this arena is virtual only, Gladiator. In hoc signo vinces.

BTS

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

BurnTheShips

I don't wish to conquer - just to amuse myself.

Not only have I have won my freedom from slavery - I have become Caesar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit