I can either go back to the "truth" or stay out and raise a milion questions

by serenitynow! 26 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal

I proceeded to ask my mother-in-law and my wife's aunt about religion over the weekend. The answers I was getting were so unbiblical that I kept questioning. Finally, my MIL told my wife that I was 'fishing' and my aunt flat out started attacking me. My aunt really offended me saying that 'she KNOWS about people like me.'

My conclusions, my wife's aunt is just plain ignorant and wants to remain that way and my wife's mom while a very sweet person is HEAVILY indoctrinated.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Ignorance is bliss

Ecclesiastes 1:18 says ..."he that increases knowledge increases pain."

In some respects I was happier and my life was simpler before I ever started examining the scriptures.

1 John 4:1 say:" do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expression to see whether they originate with God"

In my case when you start examingn every inspired expression, it takes you down a never ending rabbit hole

Maybe that is how we are to spend our life, chasing God.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

@serenity I've been watching the "apostate invasion" over there, lmao! Look no further than jw c@fe for proof that it's a cult. No one answers any questions that are raised. Instead they snoop your page for proof you're a Dub and if you're not, label you an apostate or worldly. Or they quote their favorite Bible verse, even if it's not relevant to the question asked. I'm disappointed. I always thought the JW's were pretty good at defending their faith. I thought it would be fun to debate with a JW, now I'm just sad. Oh well, maybe those conversations over there will open some eyes.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

im stil ltrying to decide if i should even involve this org in my life :P

I can't think of a single good reason to do so.

• steve2
    steve2

It's time to graduate from Play School and take responsibility for your further education.

Jws share with lots of other religions a belief in absolute "Truth" and an intolerance of skepticism - unless it is skepticism of others' beliefs, that is.

JWs are of the preschool mentality. Reasoning with them is like trying to teach "critical thinking' to babies: it won't work and it will end in tears and pooped pants. Quit playschool and start some real education that doesn't involve attempts at "reasoning' with babies.

• sd-7
    sd-7

There are plenty of examples in the Bible of righteous men who questioned Jehovah directly. Gideon, Abraham, and Habakkuk questioned God when the evidence in front of their eyes suggested that either what he or his messengers were saying was not true or injustice was prevailing. Did God punish them for asking legitimate questions or label them as blasphemous apostates? No. He either provided hard proof that he was in control or patiently answered their questions.

God created humans with the capacity to reason. Part of reasoning is asking questions. Asking questions and then meaningfully searching for the answers is the only way we can learn anything. If a belief is true, it withstands all forms of inquiry, even the most critical. If a belief is on shaky ground, it is much easier to avoid questioning it than it is to face the possibility that it might be wrong. The Bible is a book that offers a lot of uncertainty, an incomplete picture of the big questions in life. It's hard enough to understand without religious groups overlaying their own ideas and demanding that people accept them without question.

You wouldn't trust a taxi-cab driver if he refused to show his license, would you? How about if you get in the car anyway, and he's swerving all over the highway and nearly gets you killed? If our everlasting life really is on the line, wouldn't we display far more caution about our belief system than about getting into a cab? I'm pretty sure we would. Or we should. Not exactly the kind of thing to be lazy about, if your entire future existence is on the line.

For JWs to expect people to take the low road and turn off their brains is an indication that they're riding with an unlicensed nutcase at the wheel. I dived out of that cab this year, and believe me, walking is a lot safer.

-sd-7

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

AMEN--sd7--

Sw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit