For those who grew up a JW . . .

by Trixie 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Trixie
    Trixie

Does it ever surprise you when you see people that you grew up with as a JW and they're still witnesses? I went to school with a lot of those JW kids my age and I can't believe that they continue to be JWs when they are free of their parents.
    I want to say," You're an adult with a high school education or a GED! Haven't you figured the scam out?!"
    Has anyone else thought this way?

• David Gladden
    David Gladden

There are some people who accept what is told them. If enough people tell them that the world is flat, they will believe the world is flat. If that same person is told not to listen to "apostate" information saying that the world is not flat, they will not listen to it.

Close your eyes
    Cover your ears
    And sing "La! La! La! La!"

• JBean
    JBean

It hasn't surpised me until lately (with help from this board) when I personally had begun to "see" something wrong with the organization. I grew up a JW and (as I've mentioned many times before) still am, although I haven't really attended meetings regularly for over a year. I think it's normal for a person, no matter HOW they were raised, to continue in that path... kind of like tradition. Until something bad/traumatic, whatever you'd want to label it, happens personally to them or someone close to them(and it really may NEVER) they'll not have their eyes opened. The JW's are REALLY GOOD about brainwashing their followers... and as others have mentioned before, keeping them soooo busy in "the work of the lord" they are exhausted and don't have the time to question anything. I personally just stumbled onto this board (and similar ones) about 6 mos. ago, only when I was "out" long enough for my own god-given reasoning to start kicking in. Those are my thoughts.... : )

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I suspect that it might be harder in some ways for those raised as a JW to leave after they grow up. They have only implanted fears and no real experience to see that there are good people and good things in the world. Plus if they have been raised in it then there is a good chance they really don't have many friends or family on the outside. Leaving the borg means losing friends family and entire support system - a hefty load to want to take on

Rejoice in the healing and not in the pain.
    Rejoice in the challenge overcome and not in the past hurts.
    Rejoice in the present - full of love and joy.
    Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Supprised? No not at all. I still run into people
    I new as a kid who are not only grown now with their
    own kids but their kids have kids now that are growing
    up in the "Truth"
    In fact I don't know but a hand full of people who left
    (of those I knew as a kid)
    and a hand full who were df'd. probably amounts to about
    20% out, 80% still in.
    plm

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I don't know, it's the opposite %'s for me. About &80% out and 20% in. The ones that are in are miserable, but 'happy they are sacrificing for Jehovah' (translation-I'm pretending to be happy so I don't kill myself)

The out ones are quite successful.

ashi

• mindfield
    mindfield

I think it's harder for someone that grew up as a JW (like myself) to get out than a person who just decided to join as an adult. All this information was given to you as a child, and, trusting your parents, believed them naively as the ultimate truth.

However, by joining as an adult, you have less concern of the aftermath if and when you leave.

You know what my JW uncle once told me? "It's harder for someone who grew up in the "truth" than someone who got it as an adult." That's exactly what he said. And I agree. Your parents, friends etc. are all JW. If you're going to leave, it's going to be hell for a while (speaking from personal experience...) That's why my brother and cousin aren't out yet... they're scared of the consequences. More specifically, they're scared of their parents.

This picture courtesy of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society web site...

• Trixie
    Trixie

I can see what you're saying. I think my problem is that the only witnesses in my entire family were my parents and my sister and I. We all hated the hall and decided to quit. It's a really lucky situation, especially after reading what some people have lost since they left.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Good point JBean,

"Until something bad/traumatic, whatever you'd want to label it, happens personally to them or someone close to them(and it really may NEVER) they'll not have their eyes opened"

It is ashame that it takes something like that to wake people up but I am beginning to feel that it is the mindcontrol that we were under that effects us that way. I am thankful I have my husband and now immediate family to be able to talk things through in leaving the wtbt. I don't know how someone, by themselves surronded by that mindset, can ever get themselves free. That's why I want to be here to help others learn there is a better way of life, just in the mere fact of being free of "mindcontrol".

j2bf

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

There's something wrong with that picture from the Watchtower Society.

Jehovah's Witnesses have suffered in natural disasters equally with
    non-Witnesses in the past. They were not protected by Jehovah then. And believe me when disasters strike Jehovah's Witnesses don't have a joyful look on there faces anymore than anyone else. Or were they not real Witnesses? What assurance do those of today have that they will be protected at Armageddon? Yet the Watchtower would have us believe that they will all be smiling and laughing as the world around them burns and destruction is everywhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit