For those who grew up a JW . . .

by Trixie 25 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

gumby- sorry for the delayed response...

I am sure I believed when I was 5. Then all the stories of people being killed at Armageddon just did not jive. And the bad association thing really got me. How could a loving god kill people and call children bad? It was not logical.

I decided absoutely that there was no god when I was about 12. My parents got divorced. I saw no reason for all the pain our family went through. Then the JW crap on top of everything. All in the name of god.

As I got older and looked around at the world, I realized that over the centuries, many terrible acts were done in the name of god.

• QUEENIE
    QUEENIE

I grew up in the ORG and stubbornly hug on for 40 yrs> BEEN out for !0 yrs now..lived through a STROKE in (96) NOPE it was not THE big A but close enough...I have physical problem and limitations also BUT I rather would be out than in that WT ORG - that you can BELIEVE IN coming from me!!!!

• gumby
    gumby

Puffsrule: Bad things in the name of religion shouldn't give you doubts about a creator.He didn't honor those bad things.
    Remember not to view things from the standpoint of the dubs such as what you mentioned the witnesess taught you that turned you off.

The bible said the way of the truth would be spoken of badly by the actions of wayward professed christians.

• JBean
    JBean

I appreciate everyone's comments... but I want to clarify one tiny, little thing: not all JW kids were/are geeks!!!!! : ) I for one, can say (humbly...you have to trust me on this...ahem!) that I'm QUITE attractive and since my entire extended family is "in"... siblings, cousins, etc. they are also QUITE good looking... my brother (a servant) is absolutely gorgeous with a personality to boot... he even tried his hand in modelling a while back. Soooo, it HAS to be lots of other things other than looks or being "geeky"!!!! Although I do admit that the JW's do draw some very "unique" types of people... ha! I really don't know why most of my peers are still in, I truly don't. And...please don't ask for a picture as I'm kind of computer-illiterate and don't know how to 'scan' things... : )

• SYN
    SYN

In a way, being a Dub changed me for the worse, and I'm still getting over it, but in another way, it gave me the time and patience to learn many new things, to read a lot of books (that was all I could do really, since I wasn't supposed to hang out with 'wordly' friends). I would be a far worse off person than I am now - I would probably be a stupid gardener or something

But they took far more than they gave, that's for sure.

I did learn how to sleep with my eyes open in the spectacularly boring meetings and assemblies (God I hated assemblies). A nifty skill, that one! My logical abilities were also fine-tuned from arguing with people in the field about religion by the time I left.

I'm just trying to look on the bright side, I guess. The reality was that I was isolated, internalized, and never truly accepted as a friend by any single Dub.

That, plus the fact that I looked like a complete DORK until a couple of years back when I finally learnt how to pay attention to my appearance, didn't help much while I was 'IN'.

I wish I could save some people, but I know that by now the brainwashing has really taken and they are lost to reason.

JBean - There are many people in my ex-KH who are much better looking than I could ever hope to be, and are still there. I don't know about the geek thing - I feel that it doesn't matter how people look, it is still easy for them to be ensnared by the seductive siren song of guilt.

"I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone." -- Charles Darwin, The Origin Of Species, 1869.

• QUEENIE
    QUEENIE

OK SYN--it is what on the inside of a person that counts...you too about meetings and assemblies ME also !!! AND I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME...I maybe grew up a JW but lord do not let me die a JW...HAPPY VALENTINES DAY EVERY ONE OUT THERE IN CYBER-SPACE!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit