Does the WT teach that the GB = the Faithful Slave? - I don't think so.

by moshe 32 Replies latest members private

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

2/15/09 WT, page 28, par 17:

17 The faithful and discreet slave today is represented by the Governing Body, who take the lead and coordinate the Kingdom-preaching work throughout the earth. The members of the Governing Body are experienced, spirit-anointed elders. They in particular can be described as “those who are taking the lead” among us. (Heb. 13:7) In caring for nearly 7,000,000 Kingdom proclaimers worldwide in over 100,000 congregations, these anointed overseers have “plenty to do in the work of the Lord.” (1 Cor. 15:58) Listening to the slave class means giving our full cooperation to its Governing Body 6/15/09 WT, article: the Faithful Slave and it's Governing Body, paragraphs 11-20 The . 11 Jesus’ words recorded at Matthew 24:45 clearly indicate that there would still be a faithful and discreet slave class living on earth during the time of the end. Revelation 12:17 refers to these ones as “the remaining ones” of the seed of the woman. As a group, this remnant has been appointed over all of Christ’s belongings here on earth. The “belongings” that the faithful steward is appointed to care for are the Master’s royal interests on earth, which include the Kingdom’s earthly subjects and the material facilities used in preaching the good news. 12 How does a Christian know if he or she has the heavenly hope and is included in this remnant of spiritual Israelites? The answer is found in the apostle Paul’s words to those who were sharers with him in the same heavenly hope: “All who are led by God’s spirit, these are God’s sons. For you did not receive a spirit of slavery causing fear again, but you received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: ‘Abba, Father!’ The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God’s children. If, then, we are children, we are also heirs: heirs indeed of God, but joint heirs with Christ, provided we suffer together that we may also be glorified together.”—Rom. 8:14-17. 13 Simply stated, these individuals are anointed by God’s holy spirit and receive a heavenly “calling,” or “invitation.” (Heb. 3:1; ftn.) This personal invitation is from God. They, in turn, respond at once without question or doubt or fear in accepting this begetting as God’s sons. (Read1 John2:20, 21.) So they do not select this hope for themselves, but Jehovah puts his seal, or holy spirit, upon them.—2 Cor. 1:21, 22; 1 Pet. 1:3, 4. The Correct Viewpoint 14 How should these anointed ones view themselves as they await their heavenly reward? They realize that although they have received a wonderful invitation, it is only that—an invitation. They must remain faithful until death in order to obtain this prize. In humility, they echo the words of Paul: “Brothers, I do not yet consider myself as having laid hold on it; but there is one thing about it: Forgetting the things behind and stretching forward to the things ahead, I am pursuing down toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God by means of Christ Jesus.” (Phil. 3:13, 14) The anointed remnant must do their utmost to ‘walk worthily of the calling with which they were called, with complete lowliness of mind,’ doing so “with fear and trembling.”—Eph. 4:1, 2; Phil. 2:12; 1 Thess. 2:12. 15 On the other hand, how should other Christians view a person who claims to have received this anointing and begins to partake of the emblems at the Memorial? He or she should not be judged. The matter is between this person and Jehovah. (Rom. 14:12) However, Christians who have truly received this anointing do not demand special attention. They do not believe that their being of the anointed gives them special insights beyond what even some experienced members of the “great crowd” may have. (Rev. 7:9) They do not believe that they necessarily have more holy spirit than their companions of the “other sheep” have. (John 10:16) They do not expect special treatment; nor do they claim that their partaking of the emblems places them above the appointed elders in the congregation. 16 Are all these anointed ones throughout the earth part of a global network that is somehow involved in revealing new spiritual truths? No. Although as a composite body the slave class is responsible for feeding the spiritual household, not all individuals of the slave class have the same responsibilities or work assignments. (Read1 Corinthians12:14-18.) As noted earlier, in the first century, all were involved in the vital preaching work. But only a very limited number were used to write the books of the Bible and oversee the Christian congregation. 17 To illustrate: The Scriptures at times speak of “the congregation” as taking certain action in handling judicial matters. (Matt. 18:17) In real terms, though, it is only the elders who take this action in their capacity as representatives of the congregation. The elders do not contact all members of the congregation to ask their various opinions before they make a decision. Theocratically, they perform the role that they have been assigned; they act on behalf of the whole congregation. 18 Similarly, today a limited number of anointed men have the responsibility of representing the slave class. They make up the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. These spirit-anointed men oversee the Kingdom work and the spiritual feeding program. As in the first century, though, the Governing Body does not consult with each individual member of the slave class before making decisions. (ReadActs16:4, 5.) However, all anointed Witnesses are deeply involved in the vital harvest work that is now taking place. As a class, “the faithful and discreet slave” is one body, but as individuals, they have various work assignments.—1 Cor. 12:19-26. 19 What effect should the above facts have on the ever-increasing great crowd who hope to live forever on earth? As part of the King’s belongings, they are happy to cooperate fully with the arrangements made by the Governing Body, which represents “the faithful and discreet slave.” Members of the great crowd appreciate the spiritual food produced under the Governing Body’s direction. But at the same time, while respecting the slave as a class, members of the great crowd are careful not to elevate any individuals who claim to be part of that slave. No Christian who genuinely receives the anointing with God’s spirit would want or expect such treatment.—Acts 10:25, 26; 14:14, 15. 20 Whether we are “domestics,” who are part of the anointed remnant, or we are members of the great crowd, let it be our determination to cooperate fully with the faithful steward and its Governing Body. May each of us “keep on the watch” and prove ourselves faithful until the end.—Matt. 24:13, 42.
  • Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

I have recently heard that it was said that "the brothers and sisters of the congregation are NOT the Faithful and Discreet slave" during some talk or another that was indirectly extolling the virtues of the GB . The details of the when/where escape me now however.

• Mickey mouse
  • undercover
    undercover
    When I read this, it leaves me under the impression that as someone who's not annointed, and part of the "other sheep", why do they insist that I study their literature, support the printing of their literature, attend their meetings, etc.. According to this information from the Insight Book, the other sheep are out of the picture.

When I read this, and similar other statements, it leaves me under the impression that only the anointed are the Christian congregation. So that means the average, everyday JW is not really a Christian. They're a follower of Christ and a worshipper of Jehovah but, technically speaking...are not a Christian.

Of course, the WTS talks out of both sides of its mouth on this. When you read the quote provided (which when I tried to copy and paste went screwy, so you'll have to scroll back up to read misery's orginal post) it gives one the impression of only the annointed being the Christian congregation, but in other articles and in talks, etc., they imply that all JWs are Christians.

Ask a JW if they are Christian and they'll answer, "of course"... but when you read the official doctrine of how the Christian congregation is made up, it leaves the "other sheep" out of the equation. And I think the WTS purposely doesn't ever really explain it clearly because...well...imagine if 7 million JWs suddenly realized that they're not Christian? That might be a pretty big sticking point with people who have thought they were all these years. So you let the sheeple, who don't really dig deep to understand anyway, live with the delusion of being a Christian, even egg em on a little, while all along they know that their doctrine doesn't really allow for the majority of JWs to really, truly be indentified as a Christian.

Personally, it works for me. Having been part of no other religion in my life and finally realizing one day that I wasn't part of the Christian congregation as a non-annointed JW, I can truthfully say that I am not a Christian, never have been one, nor do I want to be one, since I see all organized religion as a crock of shit.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    So, if I represent someone does that mean I am them?

You may also ask, if I represent someone should I ask them for their opinion every now and then, to get some input from them to make sure I am TRUELY representing them and saying what they want me to say?

The GB have no input from the anointed whatever, in fact they do not even know who they are, just a count of those individuals who claim to be anointed and thus F&DS.

As jwfacts says "they are only a step away from stating it"

George

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

well it's not all the anointed. I know of anointed sisters that had the same position in the cong as I had and NO say about what went into any book or magazine published by the WTS

• moshe
    moshe

It would be a dangerous step for the WT to say that only the GB are the F&DS. It seems they are already headed down that road and are burning the bridges behind them. JWs will realize that all the past WT teachings about the slave have become just a pile of ----

• moshe
    moshe

H'mm Bro and Sister JW will wonder- if the F&DS are just the governing body, then who in the Hell has been telling us for the last 50-60 years that the GB is under the direction of the F&DS? I thought the Slave told us that! Did President Knorr know the new GB was going to be the slave? No-oo. Did Freddie Franz know the GB was now the slave? No-oo. For 50 years Jehoobah has given the JWs all the meat in due season about how the F&DS was directing the work of his WT Earthly Org. And now you have the gall to tell us it was all a misunderstanding? It was the GB all along? What happened to all those F&DS? Where did they all go to? etc, etc, etc.

It will get ugly for JWs- who is leading them? Old men or God?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It will only get ugly if JWs actually start asking questions. Considering that they are not supposed to ask questions that likelihood seems remote for most.

I put a link for this in The Best of... JW Doctrine . I think it is worth keeping note of

• moshe
    moshe

Lady Lee- the F&DS is a dead albatross hanging around the necks of the GB in Bethel. I keep asking JWs for the name of just one F&DS named in a WT publication. Reminds me of the Star Trek movie V where God asks Spock's bother for a starship. It all falls apart for god when Kirk asks the entity,
    What does god need a starship for?" The GB must hate my question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYW_lPlekiQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit