Planning a Disney World Trip

by garyneal 16 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Plastic ponchos get super steamy, especially in the middle of an Orlando " rainstorm" (rather a deluge with winds and huge lightening). These mini-Argmegheddon storms usually come in the afternoon, anywhere between 2:00 to 9:00 at night. Luckily, they only last a half hour. But, it will totally freak out both parents and children, alike.

I see alot of gators. Had one in my backyard lake last week. It was easily 6 feet. I guess I forget you city folks like to see gators. Yep, they abound on the way to Kennedy. Kennedy, by the way, is also a great bird and animal sanctuary. You may even see manatees. But, Kennedy's animals roam free. Visitors do not. You can only get truly inside on a tour, and the tours restrict what area(s) you see.

Spring Break is always crowded at Disney. As is something called "Grad Night". Grad Night happens in May-ish (April or Junish too). It may be two or so weekends. The main park, the Magic Kingdom closes early to the public. Florida's graduating seniors are admitted. Buses from around the State of Florida bring hoards of 17 year olds to Disney. Stay away from Grad Night weekends.

Seriously, try to get to the beaches. They are the best thing going in Florida. If you can make it to the Keys, go there.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I'll be there around Thanksgiving. It is my grandparent's 60th anniversary, and the whole family is getting together there.

By the way, the last two times I have gone, I have not stayed at a hotel. There are whole brand new subdivisions that no one lives in because of the real estate crash. Some of these have been converted into tourist lodging. I've been able to get a new, furnished, 3 bedroom townhouse in a gated community for, if I recall correctly, $100 a night (or rather my wife has).

BTS

• donuthole
    donuthole

@Gary,

When possible I'll spend a week there each year.

You can have fun at Walt Disney World any time of the year but going off-season is highly recommended. The reduced crowd sizes make park touring a less stressful affair and you can get better discounts on hotels. If possible avoid Holidays, in particular Christmas through New Years is EXTREMELY crowded. The summer months also have heat to deal on top of higher crowd levels. Not everyone has the luxury of picking a time to travel but when it comes to Disney the best times are October until just before Thanksgiving and January (after New Years) through February. If you go during these times you'll find the lines to be greatly reduced.

WDW is a BIG place. There are four major theme parks, two shopping/recreational districts, two water parks, and other activities around the Disney resort hotels. This is just talking about Disney and doesn't take into account the other offerings of the Orlando area such as Sea World or the two Universal parks. So you'll want to plan on how much time you have and what you definitely want to see - quite frankly you won't be able to "see it all".

We generally stay on Disney Property (which is a premium compared to the cost of staying off property) but if you are planning on going with a large group the cost might be prohibitive and you should instead look at a vacation rental. For currents rates and options check out mousesavers.com

I could give recommendations on tips from everything from tickets to dining to bathroom access ... I could easily overload you - so I'll shut up and just let you PM me if you have any questions and I'll be happy to answer.

@Blondie

We have gone during the first two weeks of February plenty of times. Maybe we have crossed paths. We generally stay at the Pop Century.

-Anthony

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Each of the parks are big. Make sure you have charged cell phones, as you'll never see each other if you split up. Some families will all wear a certain colored T-Shirt. Getting lost from your group is very easy.

Staying on Disney might be nice for a large group because of the Disney transportation system. Buses, trains, and boats (depending on your hotel) can ferry some pooped out family members back to the hotel while the party-goers and thrill seekers continue on.

The Disney campground has cabins. Each cabin can sleep 6 people, especially if there are a few kids, very well. There is only 1 bedroom, but the bedroom has bunk beds (kids love) and a double bed. The couch in the living room is a pull-out couch. There is only 1 bathroom in the cabins, There is a small living room with a kitchen. It is really a small trailer, with log cabin motiff. It is very clean and very cute. These aren't some "skeeterville" trailers. And, the campground is alot of fun, and we've stayed there for as cheap as $150 a night. There is a petting zoo, bon-fire sing-a-longs with characters, horseback riding, swimming pools, etc. But, to be honest . . . we spent all day/night at the parks and never used/saw these things much...but the petting zoo was a hit with a 2 year old little girl.

Disney is too much to see, and you will likely not see it all at one stay. Like skiing, schedule some down time. It's a very stimulating, over tiring vacation, and can quickly be so if you don't keep it in check. The hotels, like the Campgrounds, are a great respite from the crowds. You could spend a day horse riding, fishing, golfing, and be even more refreshed for the next park.

• jws
    jws

Here's what I've heard...

If you go at one of the busier times of year, the parks can and will fill up and you won't be allowed in. When it gets near capacity, only guests of the Disney resorts will be let in. This would probably be during Christmas vacation, Spring Break, etc. It would suck to go all that way and then not be able to get in.

We went in early June. The parks were a bit crowded, but not exeptionally so. And the heat (for a Texan) wasn't too bad either. We were able to see most of what we wanted to. Needed 2 days for the Magic Kingdom though. BTW, it does seem so much bigger than Anaheim. As all the parks there are. But if you've got kids, the Magic Kingdom is THE place.

Disney resorts looked awesome (especially if you want to immerse yourself in everything Disney), but are very expensive. If you don't want that extra safety net of being allowed into the park when they're filling up, we stayed right off Disney property at what was probably somebody's Florida condo rented out when they weren't there. Nice accomodations and a pretty nice community pool.

We got a 5-day Disney pass and I think they were park-hoppers. We could go from one park to another the same day if we wanted to (but didn't end up doing so). We didn't do the Disney water parks. I figure why spend a day in Orlando doing something we've got at home. But there are the 4 Disney parks. Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Disney Studios, and of course, the Magic Kingdom. We had a 5 and 6 year old and managed everything but the Magic Kingdom in a day.

We also got a 7-day pass for Universal. At least at that time of year, they had a special going on. For something like $10 more than the price of a single-day ticket, we got week-long tickets. It gave us access to both the Studios and Islands of Adventure. Both very cool. It might have been one park at a time though.

Both places have, I don't know what you call them, but the ability to reserve rides. At Disney, I think it's included. At Universal it was extra, but was worth it. You basically can reserve one ride and you get a time to come back. When you do, you go to the front of the line. Do this for the rides with really long lines and while you're waiting, hit the rides with short lines.

If you want to do any special things within the parks, see if you can book them in advance. We booked for a Disney Princess luncheon at Epcot and also for the German restaurant there. Some of those special dinners are all booked in advance.

In addition to the parks, you're probably going to want to visit Downtown Disney and Universal City Walk. If you go to the Universal parks, you'll pass through City Walk on your way in and out. Lots of cool and themed restaurants and such at both places (Bubba Gump Shrimp, Emril's, Jimmy Buffet's, Hard Rock, House of Blues, NASCAR, Rainforest Cafe, etc, etc.). The absolute coolest thing to see at either was, I thought, the Lego store at Downtown Disney. Outside, they have a Lego sea serpent in the pond as well as a lot of other huge Lego statues. There's also a permanent Cirque du Soliel at Downtown Disney.

We also took a day and drove over to NASA (about an hour away). Also hit some east coast beach. We also took some time to go over to Clearwater. I love the Gulf side with it's warmer waters, white soft sand, and amazing sunsets a lot more than the Atlantic side.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I went last year in LA and it was great. However, I would not recommend the Disney hotel. It was very dated and expensive. You can get a nicer hotel near by for a lot less cost.

• carvin
    carvin

February is a good time as in November, between Thanksgiving and Christmass as far as smaller crowds. One thing to be aware of though is that there is no real "slow time" for Disney. Disney is a bit pricy but when you stop and think about all that is included is is really not a bad price to pay. And they do have differing plans that do help a bit.

I wish I could be of more help but I do hope you make it as you and the family will love it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit