Planning a Disney World Trip

by garyneal 16 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal

Has anyone done this? I'm trying to find the best rates and times to go. I was considering finding a larger group or even organizing a larger group. Has anyone ever done anything like this?

If so, any pointers you'd like to share?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It's been a few years but when I researched it for past vacations times when kids are mostly in school (non-holiday weeks and midweek) are best if you want smaller crowds and shorter lines. You may get better deals on hotels during those times, too.

I'm sure someone else here will have more details and probably some links.

(I'm researching Universal Studios right now, myself, now that Harry Potter isn't evil anymore!)

• blondie
    blondie

We stay at the lower rate Disney all-star hotels. They have 2 to 3 pools on site, a food court, pizza delivered, wi-fi (you pay though) in your room. The tv stations are a little limited consisting of ABC and related disney channels. Certain times are cheaper; we go the first 2 weeks of February.

You have access to free transportation to all the disney sites. There are nice children activities you can sign up for.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/Travel%20Tips%20-%20Walt%20Disney%20world.pdf

http://familyfun.go.com/vacations/exciting-extras-at-disney-world-711035/

http://www.explorethemagic.com/disney-world-tickets.asp

• wasblind
    wasblind

Even though Disney world is also known as the " MAGIC KINGDOM " I'm glad the WTS has not banned going there

This is one time I'm glad that they talk out the side of their neck, every year a group from the old cong makes the tripp

to Disney

Cinderella, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty all have spiritism and magic in them and they are all associated with Disney

even Mickey's Fantasia film. Come to think of it, the lady who did my home Bible study thought it best if I got rid of all my daughters fairy tale books.

BTTT

• Ding
    Ding

The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World is very good.

We rented a house about 10 minutes from WDW -- private pool, lots of privacy.

Check out www.romancingthemouse.com for houses and prices.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I've been several times. But it's been several years since the last time.

I don't know if you are taking children but if you are not, the best time to go is when most kids are in school. Way back before we had children my husband and I went in mid-November. It was great. No lines. The weather was cool.

We have never stayed in the park. It just always seemed too expensive. But there are a lot of advantages to staying in the park. Check out Blondie's ideas.

I love the idea of renting a house. If we ever go again, I think I would try that.

• AGuest
    AGuest

One suggestion, dear GN (peace to you!), based on a mistake I myself made: if you/kids have already been to Disneyland, then visit one of the OTHER parks (Epcott, etc.) first! I was sent to Orlando on a business trip and stayed right outside the park. It didn't dawn on me, though, that the Magic Kingdom there was an exact replica of the one in Ahaheim. A bit larger... and much cleaner... yes... but an identical copy, even down to the paintings on the walls in the Haunted House (or, at least, looked like it!). I only had a couple days and so I was bummed out that I'd bought a[n expensive] ticket to see something I'd already seen, when there was so much I hadn't. I know better for next time, though - !

Just a heads-up... and peace to you!

SA, on her own...

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I've been to Disney several times.

STaying on the Disney World property is very nice and there are buses to take you to the different theme parks. But, it can be very expensive. If money is no object, then the Animal Kingdom lodge is my favorite. Giraffes at your window. If budget, then New Orleans resort is really good. Offfers fun things to do at the hotel area, like fishing, boating, and hiking.

But, to be honest, I usually stay off Disney at the Floridays Resort. You get a 2 or 3 bedroom, beautifully furnished condo with a full kitchen, living room, dining room, bathrooms, full screen tvs, whirlpool tubs, etc. It's really nice to have elbow room as the themeparks can be crowded. Youget a fridge, so you can buy some breakfasts and have cold beer/wine/snacks waiting for you at night. It's about a 10-15 minute drive to the front gate of Disney It's also about half-way between Disney & Seaworld/Universal Studios.

To save some money when inside Disney, give your kids $30 to $50 a piece for toys and explain to them, in advance, that that money is their toy money allotment for the entire trip. At the end of EVERY ride is a toy store. And, you will find yourself fighting with them over buying a toy after each ride....and the toys are not cheap.

My favorite parks are Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and the Magic Kingdom, in that order. I can easily skip the MGM park. It's alot of concrete and very hot. Animal Kingdom closes early, as it's a zoo too.

There are alot of things to do and see that's outside Disney. Arabian Nights is something to see for anyone who likes horses and beauty. Go for the show, and not the dinner. Circque de Solel (whatevcer the spelling) has great shows too. Seaworld is something awesome to see. If you have older kids, take a drive to see Kennedy Space Center. They offer different tours so you can see the place (what they will let you see). But, just the visitor's center is awesome too. There are former astronauts that give speeches and are available afterwards to talk with. They are fascinating. There are many I-MAx space moving too.

The worst time to go to Disney is the Summer. Orlando is, easily, 10 degrees hotter then even South Florida. There is no breeze, and 100+ heat and high humidity will leave you tired and more cranky then even the longest Disney lines will make you. Literally, even I feel sick and queezy in the Summer, and especially if standing in a long, ride line for an hour!

The best time to go to Disney is October. Short lines, discounts galore and cooler weather. But, anytime between mid-October to early May is great. The heat comes in Mid-May, and lasts through mid-October.

Skeeter

• AGuest
    AGuest
    take a drive to see Kennedy Space Center. They offer different tours so you can see the place (what they will let you see). But, just the visitor's center is awesome too. There are former astronauts that give speeches and are available afterwards to talk with. They are fascinating. There are many I-MAx space moving too.

To say nothing of the gigantical alligators you see lying in/on the side of the road on the way! Jumping in and out of the water!! A SIGHT to see for this California girl (though, the two honkin' big 'uns in the bayou just past Slidell outside of N'awlins were sumthin' too!!). There's a huge bald eagle nest high in the crook of a tree on the Kennedy grounds, too! The guide said it weighs something like 10 tons!!

The worst time to go to Disney is the Summer. Orlando is, easily, 10 degrees hotter then even South Florida. There is no breeze, and 100+ heat and high humidity will leave you tired and more cranky then even the longest Disney lines will make you.

Yeah, and those all of a sudden come out of nowhere flash rainstorms are a TRIP!! People walk around with plastic ponchos over their shorts, halters, and sandals!

But it is quite lovely. Very flat... very moist... but very green. Love-ly.

Peace and hope ya'll have FUN!

SA, on her own...

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

skeeter1 gave you a lot of great advice. I agree with almost everything he/she said. In my experience the worst time to go to Disney World is around Easter. The most crowded and the longest lines I have ever seen there. I would never, ever go back around Easter even though it is cooler than the summer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit