Why do we call Jehovah by his first name and not our parents?

by life is to short 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

Mark 14:36: 36 "Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will."

Romans 8:15: For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

Galatians 4:6: Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father."

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Technically speaking, we don't know if Jesus used "Jehovah" when praying to his Father. What we know for sure is he used "father", "God", "ava" (daddy). And even if he used "Jehovah" from time to time, it is reasonable to assume he didn't used this name in every one of his prayers.

• dinah
    dinah

So, God wanted us to listen to a horrid 70's Swedish band?

• life is to short
  • pirata
    pirata

We could just as easily say "Why do Christians call Jesus by his first name and not our parents?"

• stapler99
    stapler99

I never saw the relevance of the fact that they used "Jehovah" in all the time I was in there. They say it is the meaning of the name which is important - "He causes to become," meaning that Jehovah becomes whatever he needs to fulfill his promises. This doctrine about God "becoming" something else is never used except at times when they are justifying the use of "Jehovah," and the name is used as a label, with no meaning other than what it refers to. Clearly people in other churches also believe that God has great power. The other justification is that using a personal name is more "personal." Frankly I don't believe it when people talk about a deep relationship with God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit