My JW student is converting other students...

by lisaBObeesa 18 Replies latest jw friends

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

..and it is driving me crazy. These kids are 16 and 17 years old. The JW boy is such a great kid, with a wonderful heart. BUT he is in the process of converting two other boys. Both of them are so sweet...so young and easily led astray... I love them so much and I can't stand to see what is happening. I want to shout: "STOP! It's a trap!!!"

Yet, I feel I shouldn't interfere...why? Why do I feel like it is wrong for me to talk to the kids who are being converted? I have confronted kids studying Scientology...asking questions to get them thinking...why do I feel I should stay out of this one? I've challenged kids who were all into that anarchist stuff... Why is it wrong for me to challenge these boys? (I'm a teacher's aide in a few of their classes.)

A big thing also is that my co-workers also think I should stay out of it. I value their opinions and their judgement and I know mine is clouded on this issue...

Ugh.

I hate it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Your co-workers most likely are typical of people outside of the JW's- they don't know the harm and danger.
    Interfere- say something.

My step-grandmother is some kind of not-practicing Lutheran. She was quite upset at me when I said I was ceasing to be a JW. She knew nothing of them, but felt that any practice of active religion was good for a person. She felt that it would cause strife and take away direction in life for me. Most outsiders are like that- they figure better to be learning JW stuff than to just be normal and possibly immoral. I think they picture kids staying away from fornication and smoking dope and think that's just grand.

We know better.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I would say something, you are doing a disservice by not. IMO.

• Scully
    Scully

What is your class subject?

Is there any way you can work some critical thinking lessons into your classroom teaching, so that it is directed at ALL students, rather than singling out the JW and his potential converts?

• Scully
  • lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

OTWO, there is this one particular co-worker who really does understand about the JWs. Her opinion on this issue surprised me and is really made me doubt myself...

But I also have this very strong internal feeling (that I can't understand) that says I should stay out of it. I don't know where it comes from...My brain says it is not rational...

Why do I feel like I need someone's permission to go ahead and talk to these kids the way I talk to all the other kids about various choices they are making?

...trying to make sense of it...

• mamalove
    mamalove

Do you really think that boys that age are going to take to the religion? I would highly doubt it. Can you try and let them know about the disfellowshipping and shunning policy? That alone strikes non-JW's with alot of shock and disgust.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Scully, I'm an aide in a math class. I work with students one-on-one. There is no whole class instruction. Because I work with students one-on-one, there are many opportunities to model critical thinking and to get into conversations about things that are going on with them outside of class. If a student talks to me about engaing in some risky behavior, I usually ask lots of questions to get them thinking...

• snowbird
    snowbird
    If a student talks to me about engaing in some risky behavior, I usually ask lots of questions to get them thinking...

There it is!

A well-placed observation or well-asked question should do the trick.

I have faith in your ability to get it done.

Syl

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    Do you really think that boys that age are going to take to the religion? I would highly doubt it. Can you try and let them know about the disfellowshipping and shunning policy? That alone strikes non-JW's with alot of shock and disgust.

Well, if I were thinking of most 16 or 17 year olds, I would say no, I don't think they would take to the religion. But when I think of these two particular kids, I think..yeah, maybe they would, but still...probably not. That thinking helped me kind of ignore the situation for a little while. But the boys are now obviously 'progressing'...

If (when?) I do speak to these boys, the disfellowhsipping and shunning issue is exactly what I would want to mention and ask them about.

The JW boy actually tried to convert me a while ago. He pushed and pushed and finally I told him I'm an exJW and why (lack of love...shunning). He was shocked and feels very sorry for me because he feels I've been stumbled and I'm confused. We don't talk religion anymore, obviously.

I'm considering asking him if he has disclosed the punishments for leaving the JW religion to his studies. If not, why? It is only the TRUTH, after all. Why not be up front about it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit