Making the final break - stopping attending the Memorial

by Eiben Scrood 30 Replies latest jw friends

• truthlover
    truthlover

I agree with Laverite - go the the liquor store, get a bottle of kosher wine and make your own crackers without yeast, and have your own memorial at home to celebrate Jesus' memorial...

or if you go to the hall and don't partake, do it after your home, chicken way to do it but at that point, you are not following mans command not to do so either

I get a sick feeling in thinking I am rejecting Christ's death on my behalf and if I was strong enough, would be outta there.. some day til then I'm off to the L.S.

BTW: has any numbers been posted yet of this year's memorial partakers???

• blondie
    blondie

Why go to the Reject Jesus Party? I can only see going if a) you still believe the WTS beliefs b) trying to keep relationship with family.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I did the memorial talk in 2009, and didn't attend 2010.

• xchange
    xchange

Hey cantleave, I did my last memorial talk in 2004 and haven't been to a single memorial (or meeting of any kind) ever since. It was a somber talk, as per outline, and took the wine home afterwards and drank it.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Congratulations, ES!!!!!

Stop attending the memorial --- and it shows that you have indeed done some healthy growth work! Your relationship with your God-self is no one else's business. That is between you and your higher self alone! And of course, anyone else you wish to share with---like this fine group on JWN!

I'm proud of you!

Love and blessings,

ESTEE

• 1Robinella
    1Robinella

"Have others here followed a similar progression of continuing to go to Memorials for some time but then finally stopping that as well?"

In my situation I think it was unique because several people that I have personally known that stopped being a JW had serious issues with certain things. For example: The holidays. For me, as soon as I figured out on my own that this was not the religion for me I went out and bought a Christmas tree and all the lights, just went hog wild like a kid in a candy store. Lol.

I figured that "It is possible that this religion has it all backwards so I should figure out if this holiday thing is for me." Lol. But the first year that the Memorial came, we had just been invited to a friends house for dinner on the same night. We went to dinner and I remember talking to them about my mixed feelings about it because it was pushed into my head growing up that it was a MAJOR sin not to go. So I finished the meal, had some wine to ease my pointless guilt, we all laughed about it and I went home and had a good cry. After my cry, I was fine. For me, it was a relief that I did not go but it was hard to have fun at the dinner at the same time. I have not been to a Memorial in years. Lol.

It is instead mainly a recruiting session to get new people in and faders back.

Your so right When I used to attend the Memorials I was also sad about all the pressure and felt it was more about recruiting then about Jesus. Jesus is soooo much more important than recruiting.

• Scully
    Scully

The Memorial™ in 1994 was the last one I ever attended. I had been struggling with postpartum depression for months, and the way I was treated that evening - worse than someone who was DFd believe it or not - almost drove me to suicide. That was the last straw before I made a choice to walk away from the misogyny, mental cruelty and emotional abuse of the JWs. I honestly felt that I would rather be destroyed by Jehovah in a massive fireball at Armageddon™ than have to endure another minute with those @$$holes.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Congratulations on your decision! For 2009, there, according to Annual Report, there were 7M+ pubs, but 18M+ at Memorial Attendance. There were only 7.6+ Bible Studies so whose the 3M+ difference? Just "hanger- on'ers?"

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I quit attending the REJECT Jesus Party after 2005. After June of that year, I pulled the plug. No boasting sessions. No field circus. No nothing. In fact, on the day everyone else was rejecting Jesus at the Kingdumb Hell, I went out and bought a Ouija board. Hey, if you are going to reject Jesus, you might as well do it honestly--actually, the Ouija board was more rejecting Jehovah.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I have not made this final break yet but I am working on it. I am a fader who has made every one so far and I have also noticed that people that used to be friendly are less and less so. I am always well dressed and seem happy and say hello to the few people there I could stomach. I was never very popular when I was there and you could say I was on the fringes because I work full time. I never cared what anybody thought of me then and I certainly don't now.

Everybody is getting older and older and their opinions and arrogance mean nothing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit