Did born-in's have the capacity to "test their faith"?

by sabastious 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ihadnoidea
    ihadnoidea

I am a born-in too, 3rd generation, and agree you cannot test your faith. To truly be able to test your faith you would need to be able to read all sides of the issues and then make a decision on what you think is right. We all know this level openness does not exist in the org, my parents would never let me read anything that is contrary to the orgs thinking. I cannot really speak for other religions since I only know the JW one, but I have always been under the impression that most other religions are more open in this way.

• Scully
    Scully

To truly "test one's faith" would mean to have the ability to access material that critiques what the WTS has published, or even to use one's own powers of logic and reason to critique WTS publications and doctrines.

That option is specifically forbidden by the WTS, even though they highly recommend the activity to non-JWs who may have been born-in to other belief systems, as part of the indoctrination process.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Kids are born to trust their parents. Kids are taught then the religion that their parents trust. Few kids figure out how to "test" the faith before 18 or so; some are natural rebels/thinkers earlier. I am glad that now-a-days, the majority of kids are leaving the JW religion. For many, though, including me, it took a lot of time and struggle. Fortunately, with my struggle, I was able to keep my kids from totally swallowing it, they never were baptized and by adulthood they had their free minds and lives.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    For many, though, including me, it took a lot of time and struggle.

Took me till 24 to start seriously questioning. I was sooooo scared that I was going to lose my family if I ended up leaving, because I knew it was now on the table.

-Sab

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Faith in of itself can't be tested BUT our understanding of things surely can and should be.

One of the reason I come here is to be tested by those that don't believe or have questions or different POV's.

If a person's faith is based on reason, and it should be, then testing that reason should be something that people do.

Why wouldn't they?

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Someone quoted on the forums here and I will reiterate it:

"Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power."

The GB wants you to have absolute faith in them and their word that they are 'spirit-directed' (same as spirit-inspired imo) by God. They not only want you to have absolute faith, but they demand it. Anything less would be considered a 'brazen attitude' and should be quickly dealt with judicially.

What pains me is seeing my mother, my grandmother, my uncles and aunts, cousins, siblings, believe this shit hook line and sinker. Well, they're going to sink alright, as sad it is to say that, they will go to their grave believeing a fairytale and have wasted their lives pushing literature from a publishing house that have crackpot old geezers directing.

My mother made a comment to me last night that she hopes she won't have to die before Armageddon comes. I said, you will, as will I. At least know that you have lived a good life before you die. She wasn't paying much attention to me since she was on a rant about how great the organization is... I swear my mom has memory loss. I guess that's the cult programming, thought-stopping technique in force.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Faith in of itself can't be tested BUT our understanding of things surely can and should be.

Examining ones faith could be to test it. I think saying faith CAN'T be tested is pretty bold.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I swear my mom has memory loss. I guess that's the cult programming, thought-stopping technique in force.

My mother has the same memory loss. It's a defense mechanism. No way they could process all the contradictions without going insane.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    One of the reason I come here is to be tested by those that don't believe or have questions or different POV's.

But you will NEVER turn away from certain ideals, such as God exists and the Bible is his word. So why hear other points of view?

-Sab

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    But you will NEVER turn away from certain ideals, such as God exists and the Bible is his word. So why hear other points of view?

Actually, you are correct about God, not correct about the bible.

I enjoy learning about the different POV in regards to scripture, interpretation of it, people's views on religion in general and Christianity in specififc.

I enjoy the (educated)atheist view on why they don't believe in God and enjoy hearing why bible literalists think what they think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit