Did born-in's have the capacity to "test their faith"?

by sabastious 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sabastious
    sabastious
    He told me he also had issues, and also did research of the faith using Watchtower literature.

This reminds me of my mother in law. She has a bible study that asked what the history of the watchtower was. She was given the Proclaimers book: a history book written by the Watchtower.

I just have to shake my head.

-Sab

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I am dealing with my cult personality every other minute. It's gonna take a while to get this under control. I'm never gonna get over it. I remember when Patty Hearst was abducted and the idea of "Stockholm Syndrome" seemed difficult to swallow at first. That wasn't anything like the identification we make with the Watchtower. Our entire identity is there.

Sabastious, a very good post. Something to think about tonight....

• wasblind
    wasblind

hey there Sab,

I was given a copy of the proclaimers book also while I was studying

when I pointed out Beth-sarim to a brother not to long ago he said I wasn't supossed

to have that book, maybe because I'm not Baptized as a JW, That book has come back to haunt them just like the rest.

• simon17
    simon17

While not entirely honest or forthright, there actually is a lot of stuff in the proclaimers book that would make someone who is trying to be objectively testing out their faith do a double-take and really reconsider some things. For the WT, its surprisingly (1/2) honest.

Now... sadly I've seen JW's who actually won't talk about any controversial thing that is even 1/2 mentioned in the Proclaimers book. Pointing out some of the problems has actually HELPED STRENGTHEN their resolve. Its as if "Well, see just like Moses was forthwright with his errors in writing the first 5 books of the Bible, so the FDS is forthright with some of their early issues." The forthrightness makes it a complete NON-ISSUE to them, which is pretty amazing.

• tenyearsafter
  • xchange
    xchange

Good question. I have to say no. The deck was stacked against us. Parents, siblings, friends, congregation, elders, assemblies, meetings, book studies etc etc constantly telling us that we were the true religion and that you shouldn't check independent sources (apostate) to find out. Just trust the boys in NYC because why would they lie to us. Even had an elder tell me as a youngster that the information put out by the WT org was equivalent to a university education!! WTF!?!?

That being said, I did have a friend one time say to me at age 15 at a congregation get together, "Do you really believe all this stuff?". Damn. He was so ahead of his time. He stuck around till he was 18.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

As a born in, I was constantly under test. Grandfather was the convention overseer for Dodger stadium for years. Had to tow that line. Outside of family "watching" me all of the time, it was the persecution at school. I was very different, a cute kid, but very different. No sports, no Christmas, no Thanksgiving, no Halloween, no birthdays...nothing.

I'm actually very surprised I survived the whole thing. My wife calls me an angel and wonders how in the world I didn't turn out all screwed up!!

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

Does anyone born into ANY faith have that capacity?

JDW

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

You are only supposed to use their littera-trash to "test(??)" your faith. Those who were born in are forced to comply with their parents' rules, which usually mimic the rules of the Kingdumb Hell and are often even worse. They are never allowed to read the Bible and just the Bible, or to use independent sources to verify the accuracy of Washtowel doctrine. Usually, they don't even have anything to cross-reference the doctrine, especially if the parents heeded the advice of the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger and refused to buy a computer.

Even once they turn 18, the structure of their lives usually forces born-ins to remain faithful to the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger. They are not supposed to go to college, so moving out is not going to happen. (And it usually keeps getting pushed back.) They are trained to accept crap jobs, so they become dependent on their parents for their very sustenance. Too many live in apartments where the landlord and owner is a witless, work for witlesses, or both. Many deal solely with witlesses in their business. If they try to examine the faith, they will lose more than just their "prospect" for life. Their jobs and homes could be taken away from, and/or their customer base (all witlesses) could all boycott them if they become apostate.

It all goes back to that damn September 2007 Kingdumb Misery about using independent sources to test your faith.

• wobble
    wobble

When I quoted that scripture to an Uber - Nazi Elder, to justify my questioning, he said it did not mean test the faith, it was saying test that you were firmly in it, and studying WT crap would hold a mirror up for me !

PUKE !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit