What made you start questioning: people or doctrine?

by In 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• In
    In

Let us know what got you questioning WBTS in the first place. I've got a theory that it starts with people hurting us and only then does the "apostate" turn to looking at the beliefs.

Anybody who started questioning beliefs first?

• Satanus
    Satanus

In my case, i was starting to geta little bit independent. For isntance, i didn't stay at the prescribed hotels w the other jws that i hung w. I picked a cheaper hotel, further out. I went to the sessions when i wanted to. I was just getting a little bit tired of always feeling guilty and depressed. One of the smarter jws suggested that the ray franz book described some of the inner workings of gb meetings. That got me intrigued enough to read the book, and the book got me out. From that, i could see that god wasn't directing the gb.

Would that be 'people', as in the gb?

S

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

They're screwy doctrine. I was well aware that the entire world is full of dickheads. Luckily for me, all my friends now are dickheads without the pesky JW doctrine.

• In
    In

I'm asking if you had a bad experience with a brother or sister and then started questioning... or if you just started questioning doctrine first.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

They're screwy doctrine.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Anybody who started questioning beliefs first?

*raises hand*

-Sab

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm asking if you had a bad experience with a brother or sister and then started questioning... or if you just started questioning doctrine first.

The second part.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Yes, it was the beliefs first, then the organization. The light didn't get "brighter" it kept turning on and off throughout my life.

• Ding
    Ding

Doctrine, but it took me a long time to sort through it all.

Everything is interrelated and it's hard to know where to start or where to go next when you're trying to figure things out.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Doctrine. First by a long way.

The people, well, I had people I liked and loved. I couldn't get over how many damaged people JW's were attracting, as opposed to "normal" people who politely turned us down at the doors.

The people were always secondary in my evaluation of "da troof". I never begrudged damaged people for needing something to hang on to, it just seemed after a while that, there had to be a better way. And I didn't want to end up damaged all my life.

In the end, it doesn't matter how or why one leaves. If they do, it only matters what they do with the time after their exit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit