New Awake - JWs are Great!

by brotherdan 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

This box appears in the new Awake.

How can they say they have no clergy class? What is the Governing Body? How can they say they take no money collections at Kingdom Halls when the contribution boxes are very visible and we are reminded to give? How do they remain neutral when they were part of the UN? They say there are no "class divisions"...WHA?!? How bout "The Faithful and Discreet slave CLASS" or "The John Class"?

• onemore
    onemore

THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS!!

• sd-7
    sd-7

"Many people are amazed when they learn how different Jehovah's Witnesses are."

Yes, I'll bet they are. Imagine my amazement when I found out they were using methods identical to cult mind control. Talk about amazed. Should've seen the look on my face.

"They have no clergy class."

That is, no special robes to visibly identify anyone as such. But the authority wielded by the Governing (Governing involves RULING) Body is just as much and far more than most clergy would dare exercise over people.

Elders, missionaries, teachers unsalaried. Well, locally, yes. The Governing Body and others of high rank live entirely off of the contributions that the unsalaried elders unilaterally vote to send to them, even giving that priority before covering the costs of assembly programs.

They do not pass a collection plate, and contributions are voluntary, but people do feel compelled to donate in a way that is at least close to coercion. I know I felt guilty if I didn't donate, wondered if God would think less of me if I bought that DVD instead of putting in my $20 for the month.

Donations are anonymous to everyone except the two people who collect signed checks from contribution boxes. Contributions are not made in secret, so locally, people know when you've given and sometimes how much. That's unavoidable, of course. Still, it's kind of a statement that is not entirely accurate but not entirely false, either. The best kind, I suppose.

That UN stuff was 9 years ago. I'm sure they've repented...can we form a committee to see if the Society wants to be reinstated?

Literal warfare's not cool, but theocratic warfare is cool, right? And letting Malawi Witnesses be raped and killed without legitimate reason, denying organ transplants, confusing/contradictory stances on blood--no blood to wash off because of those issues, I'm sure.

Globally united by fear of reprisal for asking too many questions.

Gap between rich and poor? Well, it's subtle, but does show up at times--any group of humans is going to have problems in this regard, so...I give 'em a free pass on that one.

They are not affiliated with any other religion because they believe all other religions are serving Satan! And will be destroyed soon! It's a case of choosing not to be affiliated because of a clear, specific, well-documented prejudice against all other forms of Christianity. And a belief that no matter what any other Christian may do, he or she is not a real Christian because of not being one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Not even their religious songs, songs that may contain no doctrinal error at all, are considered as good or acceptable. Nothing about them can be clean if they're not a JW.

By the way, the Watchtower acknowledges that what they teach goes beyond what Jesus' apostles were teaching in the first century. (See Benefiting From Theocratic Ministry School Education, p. 274, I believe.) I doubt the apostles were looking forward to 1914. Or denied anyone the right to partake of Jesus' body and blood at the Lord's evening meal. Or asked for people to report how many hours they spent preaching about Jesus every month.

You're right. JWs are great. Thanks for sharing this article with us. My meeting's tonight, at the Kingdom Hall. Maybe I should go, see if I learn something that will draw me closer to Jehovah.

"In case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic!"--Homer Simpson.

-sd-7

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"They have no clergy class." <--------- Only victims of Thought Reform believe this one.

• sabastious
    sabastious

JWs are great, they give us chocolate cake!

-Sab

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Um...Sab...uh...you know that isn't chocolate that you are eating...

• undercover
    undercover
    THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS!!

And the reverend (or in this case, the WTS) is in the retail...

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Um...Sab...uh...you know that isn't chocolate that you are eating...

Really..... ah f*ck!

-Sab

• zoiks
    zoiks

Yep, they have re-established first-century Christianity, as depicted in last year's DC drama...right down to the congregation secretary looking over the monthly field service reports

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Yep, they have re-established first-century Christianity

Funny how they did that since it's impossible to know for sure if you really are emulating them. The Bible is not a historical document of 1st century Christianity.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit