I'm an ABSENTHEIST. Are you also?

by EdenOne 284 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Prologos, you are getting to where many Thinkers of old got to.

That there is no proof for such a being, and that such a being is unknowable.

I would ask, in that case, what is god for ?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

And now that we came to this 19th page, let me share something with you.

I have started the absentheist thread without any really serious purpose but a word play. Often people can talk about deep subjects in a light way. No need to turn everything into a boring, endless academic debate. However, I suspected that one or two people would jump into this thread, hijacking and trolling it and making it a pulpit for their puffed up self-importance. There's one member of this forum who knows this has been my idea from the onset. Nothing terribly serious, but a pretext to talk about some deep ideas in a relaxed way. But when the usual suspects jump into the thread as if my absentheist proposition was the next big item in metaphisics, I thought "what the heck let's give them a run for the money" and engaged.

It's better to stop now before it gets too ugly.

Just to be clear, I stand as a skeptic but leave the question of existence of deities open. I simply admit that I don't know enough to claim something as huge as "god exists" or "god doesn't exist". Yes, evidence for the existence of God is, to be kind, very slim. And if God truly exists, his lack of consistency and his absence merit my apatheism. That was my intent when I made up the term "absentheism". To speak about where I stand these days towards the notion of God and exchange ideas about it. I don't give a flying f**k if some people here think I'm wrong, or very wrong. This is where I am now. Who knows tomorrow? But, sure enough, some people never fail to impress me, taking the bait...

End of my comments on this thread.

Eden

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    some people never fail to impress me, taking the bait...

Ah, so you were just playing a little game? How clever of you, well done.

• cofty
    cofty
    However, I suspected that one or two people would jump into this thread, hijacking and trolling it - Eden1

So people who paid you the respect of taking your OP seriously and responded with considered thoughts about your proposal - as opposed to telling you is was a load of bollocks - are trolls are they?

You and Outlaw are two of a kind. Your one and only concern is popularity at any price. It is a fool's errand.

Thank you for alerting us that nothing you ever say should be taken seriously.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Has anyone actually defined "god" so we could possibly know whether or not it is present?
  • cofty
    cofty

Been asking that since page 1 Viv.

Still no definition.

Now he has realised what a ridiculous notion he was proposing he is pretending it was all a wind-up.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Eden1 - If you want to be Outlaw's lap dog and court popularity then feel free, but keep the personal attacks for PMs.....cofty

2 Insults with one post..How frugal......LOL!!.....Then you complain about insults?!..

With the exception of laughing at the word ABSENTHEIST..

I wasn`t posting on this thread before you ran your mouth about me..

You are trying to pretend - in imitation of Outlaw - that there is no evidence either way. This is nonsense. You either haven't been paying attention or you lack the courage to get off the fence.....cofty

Eden can add "hypocrite" to his list of observations about you..

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cofty

You and Outlaw are two of a kind. Your one and only concern is popularity at any price.

I can't speak for Outlaw, but if I wanted to be popular I would have remained an active JW. Instead, because I stood for my ideas and my freedom of thought and freedom of expression, and because I refused to be bullyed into submission by religious bigots, I lost all my friends and I'm shunned by them. That's not exactly being popular. Any kind of bully deserves to be taken on a fool's errand.

This forum may not be a pulpit for religious apologists, but it's not a pulpit for their atheist counterparts either. If you think your mission in life is to hunt down everyone that holds a different worldview than yours, maybe this is the wrong place for you. No former JW takes lightly being bullyied by anyone, religious or anti-theist. I don't engage in meaningful discussions with people who think they're always right because - well, it's not a discussion, it's a conversion monologue. I'm done with those days.

And FYI, I can spot the difference between "considerate thoughts" and a discourse designed to intimidate with shock and awe. And respond accordingly. And just because you feel frustrated with the outcome of this thread, you might consider that very useful thoughts and ideas were exchanged here - many of them came from you. For the benefit of those who participated, and of those who read silently. Information and knowledge is power.

Eden

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

Cofty was no where being a bully. In a debate or a discussion you have to agree upon definitions and subjects. Wanting to define the God being discussed isn't bullying. If you can prove a God exists but is absent, everyone is going to want to see it.

Before you can assert this proof or make any suggestions or postulations you have to establish what God you're talking about. Then we can talk about the evidence. This was a civil discussion through and through until you were defensive. .

• cofty
    cofty
    If you think your mission in life is to hunt down everyone that holds a different worldview than yours, maybe this is the wrong place for you

Outside of this forum I never talk religion with anybody.

This is a religious discussion forum. It is a place for the testing of religious ideas. You started a thread about atheism. You went out your way to attack me rather than support your opinions with evidence.

It is pathetic for you to cry "bully" when somebody refuses to let you off with your bluster.

You have revealed that your intention was to bait me. Well you failed. I engaged you in honest debate. You are the one who indulged in childish personal attacks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit